Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:57 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times

Advertisements

If you can afford a 700K home, you won't have problems finding something in the area. I would probably check Pacific Grove. Of course, you should know that being a tourist area, if you buy in the Asilomar area, there will be plenty of visitors on weekends (though not as crowded as New Monterey neighborhoods near Cannery Row). The Forest Hill neighborhood just two or three miles inland is also nice. Pacific Grove does get plenty of marine layer/fog.

You might also want to check out Del Rey Oaks briefly. It is about 3-4 miles inland. You will also get more sun there. Be sure to treat yourself to the popular Tarpy's restaurant in that area while checking the neighborhood, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 02:21 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallop the Spot View Post
Derek,

I'm an Easterner who is curious about life in California. Besides the obvious "pros"-- the climate and the scenery--what, for you, are the biggest pros of living in California (and Monterey County in particular)?
That's a good question. I'll give you reasons why I like it more than other places which as I've said can be different than for others.

1. Monterey is a marine life santuary. I can watch sealife year round while going for a run along the beach including whales, dolphins, sea otters, etc... I love the sea, always have, always will.

2. The Santa Lucia Mountains are the highest coastal mountains in the the lower 48. I've always loved to hike and explore in the mountains. These are easily accessible daily here. So I can run along the beach in the AM and go hiking in the mountains in the afternoon.

3. Coastal Redwoods grow naturally in Big Sur and Santa Cruz. These giants are like no other trees and truly enjoyable to hike around.

4. Spring which starts as early as February. Certain flowers begin blooming right now and continue into Summer. When living in CO Spring didn't start until May or June after the snow melted and temps warmed up. Though glorious their bloom would only last a short time untl the Summer heat killed them.

5. Fresh produce year round. The Salinas Valley is one of the most fertile places in the country.

6. Monterey is often referred to as the language capital of the world. 25 percent of the nation's post-secondary learning in languages occurs here. As such there is a real multicultural environment here.

7. Close proximity to the High Sierras where the highest peaks in the lower 48 reside. I love to hike and backpack. There are many opportunities for this along the coast as well as over weekend in the Sierras.

8. Close proximity to the Silicon Valley and San Francisco. Both of these offer interesting things to do and experience. I work in the IT industry and there are benefits to having all the major players so close by. San Francisco is a fun city to visit which our family enjoys.

9. Wine Country in our backyard. If you've never seen the vineyards during prime season its quite an experience. The leaves turn beautiful colors during the Fall.

10. Monterey is situated in a great central location along the West Coast within drivable distances to just about anywhere in California and even southern Oregon.

11. Though obvious, one cannot overlook the excellent weather which for me is just about as good as it gets. I can hike, bike, run, surf, snowboard, boat, etc... more often than just about anywhere. There is a great mixture of sun, rain and clouds to keep things green and beautiful. And I love being outdoors with my family. Just got back from a beach run with my son in fact with only shorts and a t-shirt mid Winter. Friday was 73 degrees. Today is mid 50s and sunny.

While living in CO many folks hibernate during the snow season which start as early as Fall and can extend well into Spring until the lakes eventually thaw and the mountain trail snow melts. This occurs very late high up in the Rockies. Though I loved to hike in the mountains there, it just wasn't doable for the family year round.

12. Clean fresh air, no smog layer, instead fresh ocean breezes which flow year round.

13. People that care about preserving the environment.

14. Closest proximity to extended family for us.

And I could go on.... But you get the idea. If someone doesn't care about these things as much then why pay a premuim to live here, really? It just doesn't make much sense. But for me its more than worth it. And I think the same applies for other more expensive places to live like Hawaii for example. Of course its cheaper to live in the Midwest, South, etc... than these places. There is less overall demand. And I can see the appeal of these other places for some. CO was a fun place to live for a season in our lives, just not the longer term. We really enjoy vacationing in places like Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. But I don't think I would want to live in Wyoming which also has the lowest population of any state. Though for some its a great place to live. It really goes back to what one enjoys most. A friend from Winsconsin lived here for ~ 10 years, then moved back there to be closer to family. He and his family are happier there now because they enjoy the Winsconsin lifestyle. I'd go crazy there, but not them.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-17-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 02:52 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP500 View Post
The retirees in the area are mostly thin and exercise. There are less older folks here that need constant medical care, if any care.

I'm 40 and am often passed by elderly joggers when I'm out jogging. There are several that look like they are in their 70's that pass me up like nothing. Even elderly bike riders pass me on my bike.

Pretty impressive.
Haha, yeah, I saw that myself when I first started running again along the beach here. There was this old guy just cruising along. He actually inspired me. I thought to myself, man, maybe I can do the same when I'm his age. You never know what life brings of course. But it must be nice to be able to still do some of those things into one's 60s & 70s.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 PM

124 posts, read 277,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
But it must be nice to be able to still do some of those things into one's 60s & 70s.
As someone who is on the cusp of 60, I envy the seniors in Monterey. I would love to live in a place where there is year-round access to bike paths and walking trails, the seashore and the mountains-- and a climate to enjoy it all. (Today, here in Virginia (supposedly "the South"), we had a wind chill in the teens and I didn't stir from the house.) I'd gladly reside in a small apartment if I had daily access to the great outdoors. Still ... the cost of the continuing care retirement community in P.G. is about double that of the communities I was considering in North Carolina. But, God willing and the stock market doesn't crash, I might be able to scrape up enough to make P.G. my home!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

76 posts, read 145,420 times
Hey RMP500,

About 6+ years ago, I moved from the Central Valley to the Central Coast, also for allergy relief. I had always loved Monterey/Carmel and thought that's where I would go. But I actually ended up in Morro Bay, and am so glad that I did! But it all depends on what you want/need for your family.

If your preferences run to lots of shopping options, theater or other performances, etc., this area might not be for you. But if you like jogging outdoors, the availability to grow or purchase fresh food year round, great local wineries, hiking new trails every week, and kayaking/fishing the local waters, consider a trip to SLO County before you purchase anything in Monterey County.

For less than what you are looking to spend there, you could buy a house very close the beach in Cayucos, a sleepy little beach town about 20 miles north of San Luis Obispo. This it the local sunbelt area, with wide, safe beaches for walking, surfing, and boogie boarding. People still leave their cars and houses unlocked there (and in Morro Bay, as well, the north end of which is just a mile from the south end of Cayucos).

The gang presence is far less here than almost anywhere in CA, although it is creeping in. However, it's still mostly in what we call "north county" - Paso Robles and Atascadero, and also south of SLO County in Santa Maria. Rarely does it ever raise it's head in the beach towns of north SLO County, although the south county beach towns of Pismo and Grover see a bit more of it.

I didn't realize what a relief it was to be free of that until I had been here for about six months and then went back to the valley to visit family. I had forgotten how to hang on to my purse at all times, and how nothing - NOTHING- could be left in view on a car seat when parking to go into a store, at the risk of a smashed window. For goodness sake, I attended a 5000+ member church with bike patrols constantly making rounds in the parking lot, and every week the tweakers or thugs managed to smash one or two windows so they could steal a Bible, a carseat, or a kid's toy... all to be resold at the ubiquitous yard sales held daily at certain homes throughout the city.

To be sure, this county is not for everyone. Some find it too provincial or cramped for their liking. My family is planning to move out of CA altogether, but if we were going to stay, we'd stay right here. We have our own kayaks, and a bike rack on the truck, and good sturdy hiking shoes. So all of our weekend fun is free. The public schools are ok, but like you, I'd opt for homeschooling or a private school; we have good charter schools here to help with that too.

As for allergies, mine have been pretty minimal since I've been here, unless I make a trip to north county where the grasses and dust get to me. Also, if the winds are blowing from the east, the valley pollution can get to me once in awhile. But compared to my prior existence of weekly migraines, constant sinus infections and ear infections, and generally feeling 10 years older than my age, there is simply no comparison with the state of my health here.

Cayucos, MB and SLO also have a lot of healthy older folk, and a mixture of kids of all ages. SLO is inland a bit and has Cal Poly - a plus or minus depending on how you look at it. Some people like all the stuff to do at the university; personally I don't like being around all the partying co-eds so I'm normally in SLO only for work and grocery shopping at Costco or Trader Joe's - we have an Albertson's in MB but it's expensive. BUT we have great farmer's markets in MB, both on Thursday and Saturday of every week. Unlike the "world famous" farmer's market in SLO, ours are more about fresh, organic food than about partying or hooking up. Even so, the SLO market is pretty family/kid friendly during the early hours if you don't stay after about 7 when the partyers come out.

People think MB is foggy all the time, but it is no more foggy than Monterey area, in my experience. I spent a lot of time in Monterey because we had a vacation home there, so I do have the personal experience to back that up. Besides, if you want sun and MB is foggy, generally you can find it right up the street (or up the beach) in Cayucos, or down Highway One in SLO.

That's my two cents... your mileage may vary

Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM

128 posts, read 327,362 times
Thanks for all that info AlisonA.

I've been wanting to go check out that area but never make it down there.

I'll do a little research and plan a trip.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 PM

128 posts, read 327,362 times
By the way, I found this about allergies...could be worse...?

I haven't stayed there for a long enough period to really test it out.

I'm usually there for a couple/few days at a time.

I have felt better when at the beach though.

Monterey Allergies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County