Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 22,770 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I've been reading many threads about the Monterey peninsula area but most seemed to be over a year old.
So I'm starting this thread to get some updated info!!

Regarding employment and housing, have things seemed to improve, decline, or remain the same over the past 12 months?

My family & I are seriously considering relocating to the area and due to the upcoming sale of our business, we'd finally have the ability to at least make a 'soft landing' there and survive without employment for maybe 6-9 months. I'm sure no one would think that it would be a very good idea to do that without having some sort of job already lined up...but....sometimes you have to take risks to get what you want!!

I have a sibling in the Santa Cruz area and have visited 'the peninsula' on several occasions since 1992 and I'm determined to live there before I die!! Now seems to be my best chance to give it a shot!!

Here's a few tidbits of info about us:
-We've been self-employed since 2004 but aren't planning on retaining that status after moving.
-I'm 52, my wife is 36.
-We have 2 small boys ages 7 and 15 months.
-We are only looking to rent.
-My wife is a licensed massage therapist.
-My background is primarily sales & customer service based.

One of the primary things we were wondering about is whether or not it's even possible to land any type of employment upon our arrival there....or is it virtually impossible to find any work at all...even minimum wage service types of jobs? I'm not too proud to work in retail, or hospitality as I've owned a coffee shop for the past 8 years!!
How are the public schools there... in general?

The list goes on....

I'm hoping that somebody that's currently living there might have some spare time to fill us in on the do's, dont's, up's, & down's of what we're wanting to do!

Looking forward to any advice when you have a moment!!
A phone chat would be most welcome if that's possible!!!

-Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 03:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,957 times
Are you aware of the exorbitant rental prices in Santa Cruz county and in the desirable communities of Monterey county, ie; Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel?
I can't help you with the employment issue but just thought i'd ask you that all important question re; renting.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Yes I'm very aware. And believe it or not, prices for the type of dwellings we're looking to rent are actually the same or less in Monterey County than they are in Ventura, Pasadena, & Santa Monica....which are the other areas of CA that are on our radar!

Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,605,568 times
When I lived in Monterey and Carmel my house rental was $3500 a month in 1998 - 2001

A lot more than So CA other than beach houses.

If you do not bring the job with you, you will not find it.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
When I lived in Monterey and Carmel my house rental was $3500 a month in 1998 - 2001

If you do not bring the job with you, you will not find it.
OK. That was 11 years ago right?
I found plenty of rental listings for things that would work for us in the $1800-$2200 price range.
As far as jobs go, are you saying that there is zero turnover? Even at the lower wage jobs?

I'm sort of confused with what you're meaning by this statement. Are you saying that there are a lot more places to live in So CA other than beach houses? Do you consider anything that's within a mile of a beach a beach house?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:11 PM

Now I understand what you were meaning with the SoCA reference...that what you paid in Monterey & Carmel was more in line with what you would have to pay to have a beach house anywhere else in SoCA.
Sorry for the confusion...and thanks for the input!!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:34 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Considering how expensive rent is around Santa Cruz and Monterey, there's just no jobs there to make up for it, it's just kind of a remote area with a low population and not many employers. There's a lot of wealthy retirees around Monterey and a lot of tech workers around Santa Cruz who are either retired or who ride over Highway 17 to work. And being near a coastline will always drive up the cost of living no matter where you are. At least around San Francisco or Silicon Valley you have a shot at a lot of jobs that pay well even if the rent is high.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:29 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
monterey bay customer service jobs classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-10-2012, 12:16 PM

64 posts, read 264,541 times
I don't know about jobs, I believe the local news last night said we are at approx. 15% unemployment, but the Carmel school system and the Pacific Grove school systems both have good reputations.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the input....even if it's another brushstroke in the big gloomy picture!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County