Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 16,338 times

Advertisements

I found out yesterday I was accepted to Monterey Institute of International Studies. I have never been to the area before, though I did live in Orange County for a couple years. I would appreciate an info that you have regarding the school and the Monterey County area.

I am married and we have a baby daughter are would be coming from Salt Lake. I know it's very expensive there. Any reasonable housing options? What makes the area great. Give me the scoop.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Monterey Bay =
You'll be in one of the best coastal areas of California (imo).
In Monterey County, the best / most desirable towns in to live in are Carmel, Pacific Grove and Monterey but they are definitely expensive. Of the 3, i think it's safe to say that Monterey is just a bit less expensive (or there are more options for less expensive rentals there).
Correct me if i'm wrong MtnSurfer.
I assume you'll be renting.
What is your rental budget?
That will determine whether or not you can live in one of the aforementioned communities.
If you can somehow swing it without getting too financially torqued, even if you have to really pinch your pennies, i would definitely recommend on of those 3 communities. It will be worth it.
But there are definitely other options in the county. You'll just need to learn which areas of the other communities in the county are safe (some aren't) and meet your needs.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Monterey Bay =
You'll be in one of the best coastal areas of California (imo).
In Monterey County, the best / most desirable towns in to live in are Carmel, Pacific Grove and Monterey but they are definitely expensive. Of the 3, i think it's safe to say that Monterey is just a bit less expensive (or there are more options for less expensive rentals there).
Correct me if i'm wrong MtnSurfer.
I assume you'll be renting.
What is your rental budget?
That will determine whether or not you can live in one of the aforementioned communities.
If you can somehow swing it without getting too financially torqued, even if you have to really pinch your pennies, i would definitely recommend on of those 3 communities. It will be worth it.
But there are definitely other options in the county. You'll just need to learn which areas of the other communities in the county are safe (some aren't) and meet your needs.
Check Criagslist for prices. I agree with jaijai on the best locations. If these are too high for you then you can check out Marina and Seaside as options. With a baby you don't have to worry about schools yet. So the school districts are quite as important.

Before signing any leases I highly recommend seeing these areas for yourself firsthand. Its fine to do your initial research online. But nothing takes the place of checking them put in person, especially since eveyone has different preferences and standards. You can get a 'general' idea of street appeal and pride of ownsership using google street view.

As far as the location goes its awesome if you like the outdoors at all. However this is far from what OC or LA are like in terms of big cities with huge shopping malls and the like. SJ is not too far and can be visited for that big city experience if that is what you enjoy more.

Derek

Old 03-30-2012, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 16,338 times
Good suggestions. We loved being so close to beautiful nature hikes and scenic vistas in Salt Lake. Sounds like we'll enjoy a lot of that in Monterey as well. The biggest concern is the price. It is helpful to have some ideas where to start. We'd like to take a trip and scout it out in the next month or two.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
What are you looking for? House? Apartment? There are a number of apartment buildings withing walking distance of the institute. Its in downtown Monterey and is a pretty nice area. A two bedroom in Monterey or Pacific Grove will run from $1250-$1750 a month. A small house will be about $1600-$2,000. I would not recommend Seaside (not the best area).

Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand McNalley View Post
Good suggestions. We loved being so close to beautiful nature hikes and scenic vistas in Salt Lake. Sounds like we'll enjoy a lot of that in Monterey as well. The biggest concern is the price. It is helpful to have some ideas where to start. We'd like to take a trip and scout it out in the next month or two.
For ideas re; where to start you need to reveal what your rental budget is.
I know it's personal but without knowing that it's difficult for people to point in the right direction.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM

57 posts, read 214,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
What are you looking for? House? Apartment? There are a number of apartment buildings withing walking distance of the institute. Its in downtown Monterey and is a pretty nice area. A two bedroom in Monterey or Pacific Grove will run from $1250-$1750 a month. A small house will be about $1600-$2,000. I would not recommend Seaside (not the best area).
I have to disagree about Seaside. Though it's not as nice of an area as the rest of the peninsula (as far as beauty and character), it's actually pretty safe overall.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:14 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
I have to disagree about Seaside. Though it's not as nice of an area as the rest of the peninsula (as far as beauty and character), it's actually pretty safe overall.
I know people who live in both Seaside and Marina and I tend to agree. They are common folks with families, not gang members, etc... One co-worker lives in Seaside with his wife where they purchased a home. If they could have afforded to buy in Monterey or PG they would have. While these towns aren't my top picks or favorite places necessarily, if something can't be found in the other pricier areas these are at least worth looking at. That being said there are some parts in both which tend to be more run down. For example some of the smaller one-way streets in central Seaside are kinda shabby looking. Always use due dilegence and check out the local crime stats for the areas in question. As I've mentioned before everyone has their preferences. That is why I emphase visiting the area in person first and definately not buying from out of state = not a good idea. Though many people have the mentality that wherever they go they need to buy first, ask questions later. That doesn't work out here folks.

Derek

Old 03-30-2012, 03:40 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Years ago we lived in some apts on Casanova Ave, Monterey. Back then they were in a nice neighborhood & the rent was reasonable... Apartment and Condominium Complexes - Monterey, CA - Monterey Herald Business Listings

I don't know how the area is now.

Google (Look Here for more apts).

Best of Luck to y'all.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:42 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonh23 View Post
There are some nice parts of Seaside (Pacific Heights for example) with nice single family homes. If the OP can secure one of those that's fine, but I wouldn't recommend the apartment rental market or some of the small, older homes on the narrow, crowded streets near Fremont. There are better choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County