Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,756 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to the Monterey area. About myself......live in Minneapolis, 26 yrs old, work in HR. The weather and scenery is what attracted me to the area (I don't think it gets much better since I don't like temp extremes). It seems from research that Monterey or Pacific Grove would fit me best (it seems the really wealthy in the area live by pebble beach or carmel; and seaside would be on the other end of the spectrum). I'd be looking for a studio apartment in the price range of 1000-1200 and this seems doable from what I saw on craigslist, correct? Are there any people my age who would move out of state and pick this area to settle in? Or does pretty much everyone who relocates to nor cal go to either san jose or san fran? Would I be the only 26 yr old transplant? Thanks for any responses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,414 times
Well, most go to the (s.f) bay area because it has nine million people - the Monterey area is very small by comparison.

Already have a job lined up? The whole central coast from Santa Cruz down to Santa Barbara is the nicest part of California... But jobs aren't too easy to come by, due to the low population.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 PM

No job.....I have savings to last about a year of living costs. I'm sure I would have to commute a distance to find work in HR since most small companies dont't have many HR positions.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_412 View Post
No job.....I have savings to last about a year of living costs. I'm sure I would have to commute a distance to find work in HR since most small companies dont't have many HR positions.
Well, there is Watsonville and Salinas.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:27 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,685,101 times
There are plenty of 20 somethings living here. Many of them are students from other states and countries. We have at least 4 Universities/colleges. I work in the area with people of all ages 20s-60s, singles, families, etc...

An HR position would be somewhat difficult to find IMO. The San Jose/Silicon Valley on the other hand has many, though you have to be on your game as it attracts ppl far and wide. Plus you have all the big IT companies there as well as many mid to smaller sized co's. I do know people who commute from Monterey into San Jose. But they get to telecommute part of the time, go in maybe 3 days/week.

Derek

Old 06-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There are plenty of 20 somethings living here. Many of them are students from other states and countries. We have at least 4 Universities/colleges. I work in the area with people of all ages 20s-60s, singles, families, etc...

An HR position would be somewhat difficult to find IMO. The San Jose/Silicon Valley on the other hand has many, though you have to be on your game as it attracts ppl far and wide. Plus you have all the big IT companies there as well as many mid to smaller sized co's. I do know people who commute from Monterey into San Jose. But they get to telecommute part of the time, go in maybe 3 days/week.

Derek

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 PM

28 posts, read 65,715 times
I just moved back to the Bay Area, and now live in Mountain View but work in Monterey. I commute, but don't recommend it. It's 1.5h each way and that's for a reverse commute. I can easily see how the commute can extend well into over 2 hrs during standard commute time (more than 4hrs per day). I wouldn't recommend it. My situation is temporary so I can hang for now.

You do realize that Monterey is a very small town? I mean, I like it, but I don't know if I would have liked it if I was your age . There's always Santa Cruz, a bit if a bigger town and there might be something in your field. But there's at least one hour commute to SC as well (2 hrs a day).

Other than that, Monterey is a lovely place but I need to stay on the Peninsula due to my wife's work. Had I moved down to the Monterey area, I would probably avoid Monterey proper due to housing cost, but if that's not an issue -- go for it. Maybe a good strategy is to do a 6 months lease and do some job hounting and adapt your living situation accordingly. That way you can enjoy Montery for what it is and have plenty of time to look around. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by befr33 View Post
I just moved back to the Bay Area, and now live in Mountain View but work in Monterey. I commute, but don't recommend it. It's 1.5h each way and that's for a reverse commute. I can easily see how the commute can extend well into over 2 hrs during standard commute time (more than 4hrs per day). I wouldn't recommend it. My situation is temporary so I can hang for now.

You do realize that Monterey is a very small town? I mean, I like it, but I don't know if I would have liked it if I was your age . There's always Santa Cruz, a bit if a bigger town and there might be something in your field. But there's at least one hour commute to SC as well (2 hrs a day).

Other than that, Monterey is a lovely place but I need to stay on the Peninsula due to my wife's work. Had I moved down to the Monterey area, I would probably avoid Monterey proper due to housing cost, but if that's not an issue -- go for it. Maybe a good strategy is to do a 6 months lease and do some job hounting and adapt your living situation accordingly. That way you can enjoy Montery for what it is and have plenty of time to look around. Good luck!
Do I have to worry about crime in any place around monterey, PG, or seaside? Right now I actually live in a place with high crime in minneapolis, but I guess that's what comes with living in a large city. If I were to move to a smaller area such as monterey I would like it to be low on crime, which it seems to be, correct? Any specific neighborhoods or areas that I should avoid looking for an apartment?

Old 06-07-2012, 08:55 PM

276 posts, read 773,923 times
I'd avoid Seaside, not really because of crime. It just doesn't look as appealing to the eyes. But it's hit and miss there. Some parts you'll see very nice kept homes. Other areas will be raggedy.

Stick to Monterey/PG and you'll be happy. I know I am.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 65,715 times
Default No significant crime in Monterey, East Salinas is another story

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_412 View Post
Do I have to worry about crime in any place around monterey, PG, or seaside? Right now I actually live in a place with high crime in minneapolis, but I guess that's what comes with living in a large city. If I were to move to a smaller area such as monterey I would like it to be low on crime, which it seems to be, correct? Any specific neighborhoods or areas that I should avoid looking for an apartment?
You won't be bogged down with crime in either Seaside or Monterey, at least not resembling anything that you'd find in a big city. Nearby East Salinas, however, you should probably avoid all together (this is according to my co-workers who live in Salinas -- East Salinas residents, feel free to chip in). My closest co-worker doesn't even allow her 14 year old son ride skateboard in certain street because it has a history of shootings.

I'd say stick to Monterey 1st, Seaside 2nd...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County