Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times

Advertisements

Just a quick input... as a former resident of Marina for 21 years I have commuted to Salinas a number of times. When I was growing up, Salinas wasn't infested gang activity and shooting as some have reported here. I spent a few years attending Toro School and Spreckel's School before I transferred back to Marina Del Mar elementary school. I found both Salinas schools to be in relatively safe neighborhoods, but I am not sure what they are like now since it has been more than 25 years.

We have owned businesses, worked, visited relatives, and have done recreational activities all over the Monterey County. Having to visit my aunt who lived in the old Seaside before passing away, I felt safer visiting my other aunt who lived in a new community outside of Salinas in River Rd, past Monterey-Salinas Highway. Go figure.

I guess the moral of the story is... it's best to avoid generalizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 09:25 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
....... When I was growing up, Salinas wasn't infested gang activity and shooting as some have reported here........ it has been more than 25 years.
Imo the nexus for the "gang" problem existed long before then because numbers of Hispanic-Americans, whose families literally 'jumped through legal hoops' to become citizens, resented the ease and 'wink-wink' cooperative assistance with which fresh arrivals from below the border were welcomed - almost "forced" - into their communities and neighborhoods. The one group obeyed "the law" while the second flaunted it - and on the whole did not pay that much of a penalty to do so. There are many ramifications and side-issues, but those who consider the US's Hispanic community to be of one mind are simply unaware or delirious. It is multi-fragmented, and will probably remain so. And unresolved resentments tend to grow and grow and grow, in my experience. Ergo, eventually violence.
Quote:
.......I felt safer visiting my other aunt who lived in a new community outside of Salinas in River Rd,........
Unless you are very familiar with Seaside it can be daunting to "outsiders". But it has a strong sense of community and it's been my experience the locals "take care" of each other pretty well - at least in the older subdivisions. Just think of it as another Oildale, only different.

I hope this hasn't been too generalized.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Hey Hawk, when was the last time you've been in the area? I just visited my old hometown of Marina for the first time in 5 years just a few weeks ago. I had to check out my folks' older house that they rent out to my aunt.

Times certainly have changed since Ford Ord shut down. The local economy that relied heavily on the military families took a hit.

Howdy Tim...

I was back in 2006 when my beloved Mom passed on. Mom wanted to be cremated & for me to bring her remains back up here to the mountains. To be spread under this beautiful large, old growth Doug Fir, above the basspond.

One of my beloved brothers still lives in Prunedale. I remember fondly when we were kids at first living a couple blocks up Carmel Ave. Chet (at Mortimers) used to give us odd jobs to do around the neighborhood & business.

I bagged groceries at the Fort Ord Commisary. Also pumped gas & cut grass......around Ord. The Good ol' Days...

In the old days sometimes we raced 1/4 mile or so on the straightaway out Reservation Road...lol

We were lucky we didn't kill ourselves. One time some of my Bro's lug nuts got loose & came off.

Later after Vietnam we used to go to the American Legion in Marina & Salinas. & the VFW & DAV off Alisal St...

Larry at 'The Place' on Alisal is/was a great Man...

Have a Great Weekend Bro

Old 12-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Imo the nexus for the "gang" problem existed long before then because numbers of Hispanic-Americans, whose families literally 'jumped through legal hoops' to become citizens, resented the ease and 'wink-wink' cooperative assistance with which fresh arrivals from below the border were welcomed - almost "forced" - into their communities and neighborhoods. The one group obeyed "the law" while the second flaunted it - and on the whole did not pay that much of a penalty to do so. There are many ramifications and side-issues, but those who consider the US's Hispanic community to be of one mind are simply unaware or delirious. It is multi-fragmented, and will probably remain so. And unresolved resentments tend to grow and grow and grow, in my experience. Ergo, eventually violence.
Unless you are very familiar with Seaside it can be daunting to "outsiders". But it has a strong sense of community and it's been my experience the locals "take care" of each other pretty well - at least in the older subdivisions. Just think of it as another Oildale, only different.

I hope this hasn't been too generalized.
Not too generalized at all, Franklyn. Thanks for your insight on Salinas and Seaside.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Tim...

I was back in 2006 when my beloved Mom passed on. Mom wanted to be cremated & for me to bring her remains back up here to the mountains. To be spread under this beautiful large, old growth Doug Fir, above the basspond.

One of my beloved brothers still lives in Prunedale. I remember fondly when we were kids at first living a couple blocks up Carmel Ave. Chet (at Mortimers) used to give us odd jobs to do around the neighborhood & business.

I bagged groceries at the Fort Ord Commisary. Also pumped gas & cut grass......around Ord. The Good ol' Days...

In the old days sometimes we raced 1/4 mile or so on the straightaway out Reservation Road...lol

We were lucky we didn't kill ourselves. One time some of my Bro's lug nuts got loose & came off.

Later after Vietnam we used to go to the American Legion in Marina & Salinas. & the VFW & DAV off Alisal St...

Larry at 'The Place' on Alisal is/was a great Man...

Have a Great Weekend Bro

Wow, we definitely grew up Marina/Ford Ord in different eras!

After being born in 1980, we lived in Marina for 21 years before moved elsewhere. I used to take a right on Carmel Ave when from Del Monte Blvd and drive past Mortimers. If I remember correctly, there is/was this huge red building where community events like banquets used to be held there. And then there was Charles Apartment, where I lived for 2 years as a toddler before moving to a house on Lake Drive near the duck pond, which is now Locke Paddon Park.

I have so many fond memories while growing up Marina. Now it seems different and much, much smaller.

It's good crashing into another former resident of area! It's like revisiting the old times.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 AM

147 posts, read 310,702 times
I contacted my old co-worker who grew up in Salinas and he bought a home in Prunedale to avoid the crime in Salinas.
Have you ever been to Juarez? The violence there has nothing to do with gangs. Cartel groups are killing each other for supremacy in controlling the drug traffic that flows from there to the United States. El Paso? The safest city in the US. Get your facts straight.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 3,738 times
My husband & I grew up in salinas & now live in San Diego. Our families still live there & would never leave area. They live near the hospital. Salinas does have some rough areas but what city doesn't? It's a great place to live has some amazing historical homes and a wonderful rich history. We have considered moving back but my husband loves San Diego too, so we visit often and enjoy all of the peninsula. Some of the most beautiful country anywhere is in the valley and coast, so move there and enjoy.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palacio View Post
My husband & I grew up in salinas & now live in San Diego. Our families still live there & would never leave area. They live near the hospital. Salinas does have some rough areas but what city doesn't? It's a great place to live has some amazing historical homes and a wonderful rich history. We have considered moving back but my husband loves San Diego too, so we visit often and enjoy all of the peninsula. Some of the most beautiful country anywhere is in the valley and coast, so move there and enjoy.
I grew up in Salinas myself and would agree that there are nice, historical buildings, great history and beautiful surroundings. Also, the area isn't entirely invested with gangs (although there occasionally is some trickle over to South Salinas). However, I would never move back for the following reasons:

-Lack of job opportunities in the area (you may do well as a Doctor/Lawyer, but not much for corporate types unless you were born into one of the Ag families)
-Not a very educated community
-Far too religious for me (social life tends to revolve around church)
-Schools in general are not very good
-Weather (some love the afternoon fog/wind, but I prefer a warmer climate)

Also, having also lived in SD for several years, I'd choose that in a heartbeat over Salinas.

Last edited by roadwarrior101; 06-16-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM

112 posts, read 130,908 times
Default Moving to San Jose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaeneth View Post
I live in Salinas, Ca and my husband and I are on the way out. It's sad here. Crime is everywhere. It's almost a big NO NO to go out past a certain time of night. I'm currently trying to get out and trying to convince my family and his family to get out as well.
Here in the San Jose area crime is certainly on the rise, no longe the "safest big city in the U.S." I'm still thinking however, that our area is still not only safer but a lot more productive than Salinas is.

Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
I can't and won't dig through the 10+ pages of gibberish but Salinas is not that bad. My wife and I just bought a house off Main Street near the High School. I have plenty of friends and coworkers living in Salinas.

South Salinas is really nice, charming, affordable and quiet. Anywhere else can be challenging. I suspect no one else posting from Salinas did their homework when moving to the area.

Best of luck and if you make it over here let us know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County