Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times

Advertisements

Stay Out Of Salinas...they Have A Serious Gang Infestation Problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 PM

21 posts, read 351,637 times
Thumbs down Options

I currently live in Monterey, right near the downtown. I definately would not consider moving to Salinas! Salinas is a very depressing city about 16 miles east of Monterey at the tip of the central valley. The city of Salinas is a majority Hispanic population of agricultural workers. There is a huge gang problem there and lots of prostitution, not to mention jail problem.

Working in Salinas might be ok during the day depending on what part of town, like downtown center would be ok. You will definately want to live in Monterey-$950/month for a one bedroom or somewhere nearby for $1000 like Pacific Grove-bible town with victorian homes or Carmel- a tourist area and artist/bling-bling community. Another option could be Gilroy about 24 miles north of Salinas in the valley. Gilroy is pretty much a flat landed, suburban chain store city, but safer than Salinas.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:31 AM

126 posts, read 549,410 times
Thanks so much everyone, for the replies and honest answers. You know, I had a feeling that Salinas was bad, drugs/gangs and all. The job package....good but not that good to compensate for all that.
Ultimately turned the job down, much to the recruiters dismay. However, they did have the job listed as "Monterey" being the location.....Salinas is NOT Monterey, LOL.
I am in So Cali now, looking to leave due to the high housing costs....looking at Wa state perhaps.
Thanks again for all your help!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 47,132 times
okay, first off I have to say that I lived in South Salinas for five years. I loved it. It is a town within a larger city. The crime rate is low, it is close-knit, and it really is separated from the rest of Salinas. We owned a gorgeous ranch style home with a pool in a beautiful neighborhood. We left our doors unlocked, were never robbed, I grocery shopped late at night which meant going into dark parking lots and never had a single problem. Most people who think of Salinas think of an entirely different area than South Salinas. I, too, was surprised to find that South Salinas existed, I had thought Salinas was just plain dangerous until I investigated it further. I couldn't have been more wrong. I'd definitely check it out.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,464 times
Default Salinas ... bust?

Was refered to Salinas by recruiter, is it really that bad? What about area around Salinas Valley Memorial??? Your responses are greatly appeciated.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 PM

74 posts, read 713,115 times
Most people who work at Salinas Valley Memorial or Natividad live in the Monterey area and commute. The areas on the 68 (highway that runs between Salinas and Monterey) are nice too.

The above responses are pretty thorough as far as how Salinas is. But, I would say that there are definitely some good safe areas. If you can get a good job there I would take it. It's a decent area with some good neighborhoods near by. Also, one of my most favorite Mexican food places

Old 07-01-2007, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 47,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Traveler View Post
Was refered to Salinas by recruiter, is it really that bad? What about area around Salinas Valley Memorial??? Your responses are greatly appeciated.
I lived two blocks from Memorial Hospital for years..I only moved out of that area recently. Its NOT a bad area. South Salinas is really a town within a larger city. It butts up to Spreckels and Highway 68 on one side and its a ten minute drive just to get to the North side. I guarantee you will have no problems there, most people who don't live in the area have no idea what it really is like there. Honestly, we were country members, as were our neighbors, many of the residents have strong professional ties the community and as my husband actually works at SVMH I can tell you that the above comment was just plain wrong, MANY of the SVMH employees live in the community. Salinas has a bad reputation, which may be justified, but South Salinas should be a separate town and many of the neighborhoods are just beautiful and family friendly. The neighborhoods in South Salinas are actually named, I think they just take on the names of the respective elementary schools in each of them. Maple Park, Mission Park and Monterey Park are all great neighborhoods. Maple Park tends to get a bit pricey, the housing is just lovely, Mission Park actually has the better elementary school of the three (in case you have kids). If you drive further out you run into Toro Park and Las Palmas Ranch, very expensive neighborhoods, but great schools. Star Market is a fantastic little independant grocery store with a great meat department in South Salinas, One Java drive is a neat little drive through coffee shop, there is a great deli right next door to that, Ginos serves fantastic italian food, honestly you won't be disappointed unless you are looking for a faster pace. It is close enough to Monterey so you can get a little night life, but unless you do the Penny Farthing or the Lala Lounge, night life can be a little boring in Salinas. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Don't let the word on Salinas discourage you from Monterey or its surrounding areas. That place is beautiful.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:00 PM

132 posts, read 537,549 times
I actually plan on moving to Monterey in about 2 years. I've been there a few times, and it's a beautiful place.

I don't know too much about Salinas, even thought my g/f is from there, but she doesn't say too many bad things about it. There are quite a few gangs there, just as worse as Miami, where I lived for 12 years. Gangs are normally at war with other gangs, not regular folks. As long as you're not in the bad areas, you should be okay. It's not like NY, where trouble finds you.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM

8 posts, read 66,996 times
My daughter lived up in that area for a few years. She lived in Seaside which was real nice and Marina, which was ok. Salinas is not a town you want to live in though. She wouldn't even go shopping there. Monterey is great, but all those coastal cities are real expensive. Prunedale was ok. The Monterey area was really nice. Lots of things to do. The Aquarium, Cannery Row. Driving around there was a bit strange. You're going down a street and next thing you know you're on the freeway..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County