U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,386,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
That is because the Central Coast is the only place for tri tip. No one knows about tri tip outside of Central California.

Pork is a far better meat to BBQ with.
Excuse me! I'm decidedly not on the Central Coast, nor any coast for that matter. I grill wonderful, marinated tri-tip often which makes the best sandwiches imaginable. As for true BBQ, I do a pulled pork with a special mop that will knock your socks off and only one place I know of, and thankfully it's local, does chicken that will equal mine but is different enough that we buy it occasionally.

Y'all left coasters don't have the "Q" market cornered by any means.

If it will help assuage your tender sensibilities, I am a native Californian and lived there for about 50 of my 68 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:59 PM

14,991 posts, read 4,775,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Excuse me! I'm decidedly not on the Central Coast, nor any coast for that matter. I grill wonderful, marinated tri-tip often which makes the best sandwiches imaginable. As for true BBQ, I do a pulled pork with a special mop that will knock your socks off and only one place I know of, and thankfully it's local, does chicken that will equal mine but is different enough that we buy it occasionally.

If it will help assuage your tender sensibilities, I am a native Californian and lived there for about 50 of my 68 years.
Don't "mess" with Curmudgeon about meat. I read some of your posts recommending burger places in the Sacramento area, too. I was planning on fish tonight, but this thread might make me hungry for BBQ, tri tip, or chicken instead. I am partly to blame for that, too. Too bad you don't live closer (kidding)...sounds delicious. My brother in law does some good 'cue, too, but probably not as good as yours. LOL.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,598,940 times
Castroville's gotta a good BBQ place, and I grew up in the Ark-La-Tex so I know what decent Texas style BBQ tastes like. It's pretty good, and a good value, too, as I recall, but haven't been there since 2008.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:43 PM

15,295 posts, read 17,700,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Castroville's gotta a good BBQ place, and I grew up in the Ark-La-Tex so I know what decent Texas style BBQ tastes like. It's pretty good, and a good value, too, as I recall, but haven't been there since 2008.
I remember years ago, Bing's Diner had good BBQ. I heard they sold out though. It was next to "The Giant Artichoke".

Old 04-29-2014, 02:33 PM

292 posts, read 265,403 times
When I first moved here I made about $2,000 a month and it was doable. Now I make closer to $4,000 a month and it's more than enough.

Worst case you can always rent a room for $400-1,000 a month if times get tough, but realistically $3,500 a month is very practical for the area.

NOTE: I did not sift through the three pages of responses. Just weighing in with my 2c

Old 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM

242 posts, read 346,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I am not sure why you think that I, or someone else on this thread, said that the West Coast has cornered the "Q" market. I never did, and in fact, I think that the BBQ on the West Coast is sorely lacking. Monterey definitely does not have any good BBQ (even tried that new chain in Seaside just for kicks), although I have never tried any place in Salinas. Most tri tip I have seen around is grilled, not BBQed.

Reading comprehension is key.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I have been to the Texas BBQ in Castroville and it fails to excite me every time.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
...this thread might make me hungry for BBQ, tri tip, or chicken instead. I am partly to blame for that, too.
How about that place right off Market heading into Salinas on Davis? Take the Market Street exit at the "overpass" and the it is on your right side. We always gas up over there and it smells good...

Old 02-06-2016, 08:58 PM

14,991 posts, read 4,775,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
How about that place right off Market heading into Salinas on Davis? Take the Market Street exit at the "overpass" and the it is on your right side. We always gas up over there and it smells good...
Way late reply (LOL), but that used to be Smalley's old location, before they moved to their new South Main Street location. I believe it is called Salinas City BBQ now. Have not tried it, but one person I know said they liked it. Probably worth a try.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:55 AM

958 posts, read 792,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Way late reply (LOL), but that used to be Smalley's old location, before they moved to their new South Main Street location. I believe it is called Salinas City BBQ now. Have not tried it, but one person I know said they liked it. Probably worth a try.
Yes that is the one you want. The texas guy in castroville makes decent bbq but his cleanliness and freshness standards leave something to be desired. Check out the salad bar FIRST before committing to eat there and then decide accordingly. Salinas city rocks. Smalleys used to be great but i hear they declined and City has taken a lot of their customers. Avoid the Central Texan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County