U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:50 AM

15,269 posts, read 17,662,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Have had good experiences there.

The place in Monterey I would advise avoiding, except for drinks and the view, is El Toritos. The food is god-awful, but the view is amazing. Best to go to the bar and just drink and look at the view. They can't even do guacamole right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Lived on Wave St about a block from there (so I walked over there for lunch fairly often). It's fine for chain type Mexican food. I remember a few things I've had there I enjoyed quite a lot. Was it authentic Mexican like you get on the East Side of Salinas? Of course not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I couldn't do it. Because good Mexican is so good, bad Mexican is atrocious.
We have always really enjoyed the time we spent at Jardines in San Juan Bautista......yum....

Menu jardines restaurant

Jardines De San Juan - San Juan Bautista, CA <<<< ... some beautiful photos...We love the patio views, sharing a pitcher of Margaritas & Guacamole/nachos...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:24 PM

211 posts, read 315,607 times
Ahahah anybody who lives in Monterey could have told you to avoid eating on the Wharf. That place is reserved for naive tourists unaware that yelp exists to direct them elsewhere.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:27 PM

211 posts, read 315,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I used to eat a lot at Baja Cantina in Carmel Valley, I sat a table next to Clint Eastwood at least once a month.
I enjoyed meals at Bubba Shrimp in Monterey. You can not go wrong at Clint Eastwood's restaurant Hogs Breathe Inn. They put out the best happy hour spread I have ever seen.
My favorite above all else is Forge in the Forest in Carmel. Outside patio with tables next to the fireplace. Dog friendly, with dog menu. I sat and ate many a pizza and pitcher of beer there with my dog. Great crispy duck with goat cheese pizza.
Baja cantina in Carmel Valley is on point. I definintely recommend it. Forage in forest is pretty bad... If you just go a few doors over you can get a great meal at La Balena. Bubba Gump is good if you like greasy, poor quality food (its really bad).

Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,323 times
As a 'Nave' tourist from the UK. I am going to visit Monterey next May with my wife. I am looking for somewhere to take her for a birthday meal. I was thinking about the Cannery area but it seems unsuitable due to some posts on here. Can you suggest a nice place for me to take her to. Many thanks.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhobyman View Post
As a 'Nave' tourist from the UK. I am going to visit Monterey next May with my wife. I am looking for somewhere to take her for a birthday meal. I was thinking about the Cannery area but it seems unsuitable due to some posts on here. Can you suggest a nice place for me to take her to. Many thanks.
We have had some excellent meals at The Sardine Factory, located on Wave St, one street above Cannery Row.
https://www.google.com/#q=Sardine+Factory

If you want an ocean view, the 'Fish Hopper' used to be 'The Outrigger'. We had some tasty meals there before. It's 700 CanneryRow. The Fish Hopper - Monterey, CA

Mark Thomas Outrigger, Monterey | Critiki

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-fish-hopper-monterey

Bon Appetit...

Have a Wonderful Adventure...

Old 10-20-2013, 12:22 PM

9,969 posts, read 14,539,211 times
We always just stop in Moss Landing on the way back from Monterey at the Whole Enchilada or Phil's Fish Market.

Now those places are the real deal...

Last edited by Deezus; 10-20-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM

2,671 posts, read 6,224,544 times
Default 2 cents worth...

You might consider the Shadowbrook. They have a website you could browse, make reservations etc.
K

Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
You might consider the Shadowbrook. They have a website you could browse, make reservations etc.
K
We've enjoyed the Shadowbrook , in Capitola, many times...yum...

Shadowbrook Restaurant

Shadowbrook - Capitola, CA

Old 10-20-2013, 04:12 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,131,584 times
Quote:
I second the Sardine Factory. Top your meal off with a Flaming Sardine!

Old 10-22-2013, 10:39 AM

643 posts, read 743,754 times
Quote:
Take her to Schooners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County