Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 07:06 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

I've looked at crime stats, amd it's safer than a lot of cities, but the rents compared with other spots in Monterey County and the Central Coast are much lower. What's the issue with the area? Thanks.

Edited to add: NEVERMIND. I was looking at the stats for the wrong place I knew it seemed to good to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:17 PM

482 posts, read 623,579 times
1000 gang members per each police officer in Salinas.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:52 PM

276 posts, read 774,192 times
/thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:52 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I rented there for seven years. Only thing that ever happened to me was I had a car stereo stolen when I forgot to take the faceplate off one night. Other than that, it was pretty quiet (and I was out with friends at all hours, plus shopping in the evenings). Was just there today for an appointment - gorgeous day for August - 70F, bright sunshine and a nice breeze. It does have a great climate.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 PM

53 posts, read 104,309 times
There are alot of opinionated Monterey/PG types who would rather be stuck renting for the rest of their life then accepting Salinas as a perfectly reasonable place to live. I thinks its a great value proposition to be able to save on some rent while actually being able to save to own a home. Salinas has a Gang problem that occasionally spills over into the more desirable areas, but for the most part its contained to the Alisal area, which was its own city prior to being Annexed to Salinas. By Area the City much larger then Monterey/PG..to be exact the population is greater then everything between Marina and Carmel Highlands. The higher end areas along highway 68 are as far as away from high crime areas as Pebble Beach is to seaside. Seaside isnt a place you want to be walking around at night either. The statistics do show almost all of the shootings are gang on gang crimes.

Outside of the Crime issue. The climate, air quality, and job market is better in Salinas. Top 10 for cleanest air in the country, Ranked 1# climate in North America. Its close enough to Monterey & Carmel, while also closer to Santa Cruz and San Fransico so its ideally placed to explore california. I lived on the beach in Monterey for 4 years, and I can tell you the gloom factor from the Marine layer constantly hanging overhead does affect peoples moods negatively. A pattern can set in where you wont see the sun for what seems like weeks while the marine layer consistantly burns off in salinas by 10 oclock with daily highs around 10 degress warmer. If you need more sun and heat, the Coral De Tierra is an upscale area between Monterey & Salinas.. the problem with this area that many will have is that the pollen level here is outrageous due to the pine trees and live oak lining the funnel shapped canyon that limits air flow. If you have allergies, you will be miserable here and your better off contending with the Fog and high rents Monterey or parking it in South Salinas and accepting gangs do exist there.

Having been an outsider and living all over the area for 10 years, I think I have a pretty unbiased view of all the pros and cons out Monterey County.. Alot of people who always said they would never live in salinas have ended up settling in the Maple Park area which I think is probably one of the most reasonable places to live in the region. It was formerly the upscale area of salinas before everyone moved up the mountain into Las Palmas. Many people that originally bought there quickly realized that the mountainside has winds that will blow your pooch right off your front yard (Many sold their homes and moved into Toro Park driving up prices there). You can see all the lines of euchalyptus trees planted as windbreaks as evidence of this. Every tree along here is bent and the Climate zone is also an 8-9 vs a 9-10. I had bromeliads growing outside surving the winter in South Salinas.. just a thought if you like to garden. Maybe Im out of my mind but windswept trees are more of a pet peeve of mine then the violence aspect.

Last edited by bleakzero; 08-07-2013 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-07-2013, 05:04 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
The summer weather in salinas is quite comfortable & the location is superb. San francisco is about 120 miles north & the pacific ocean is a short distance away. I regret leaving salinas & moving to riverside years ago. Unfortunately salinas does have some bad areas & my home was broken into once & i found out later is was the next door neighbor.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 AM

53 posts, read 228,586 times
I don't know what the median income says of the *city*, but really, unless you're very fortunate, most of the jobs in Salinas are low paying ones.

And really, it's not all that cheap - the numbers you're cited are unheard of to me and sound more like Fresno.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:31 AM

53 posts, read 104,309 times
Its true the Ag industry doesnt have the lofty pay compared to Tech, Pharma, and Banking, but put it into perspective, many people in those industry lost their jobs in downturns. People always need to eat so while the pay in Salinas might now be the best, it is certaintly reliable. Jobs in Monterey for comparison are incredibly sparse. Living in Monterey, and trying to be a part of the ag industry can also close some doors to you as the crowd there is very loyal. This is a part of why all of your millionaire owners/operators choose to live in Salinas rather then buying the house they could easily afford in Pebble Beach. Something to consider if your planning a career.

Real Estate in the county may still be expensive but Salinas is very affordable compared to prices in 2005. The current level is sustainable if you consider the realiability of the industry located there. The Lettuce isnt going anywhere.

Seems the best way to get a job in Monterey is to make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJP View Post
I don't know what the median income says of the *city*, but really, unless you're very fortunate, most of the jobs in Salinas are low paying ones.

And really, it's not all that cheap - the numbers you're cited are unheard of to me and sound more like Fresno.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:09 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Don't know if you are actually looking to move to the area, but if you are, South Salinas is really nice. Check spotcrime.com for crime statistics. It's considered the good area of Salinas, but still cheaper than Monterey, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 PM

65 posts, read 78,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakzero View Post
There are alot of opinionated Monterey/PG types who would rather be stuck renting for the rest of their life then accepting Salinas as a perfectly reasonable place to live. I thinks its a great value proposition to be able to save on some rent while actually being able to save to own a home. Salinas has a Gang problem that occasionally spills over into the more desirable areas, but for the most part its contained to the Alisal area, which was its own city prior to being Annexed to Salinas. By Area the City much larger then Monterey/PG..to be exact the population is greater then everything between Marina and Carmel Highlands. The higher end areas along highway 68 are as far as away from high crime areas as Pebble Beach is to seaside. Seaside isnt a place you want to be walking around at night either. The statistics do show almost all of the shootings are gang on gang crimes.

Outside of the Crime issue. The climate, air quality, and job market is better in Salinas. Top 10 for cleanest air in the country, Ranked 1# climate in North America. Its close enough to Monterey & Carmel, while also closer to Santa Cruz and San Fransico so its ideally placed to explore california. I lived on the beach in Monterey for 4 years, and I can tell you the gloom factor from the Marine layer constantly hanging overhead does affect peoples moods negatively. A pattern can set in where you wont see the sun for what seems like weeks while the marine layer consistantly burns off in salinas by 10 oclock with daily highs around 10 degress warmer. If you need more sun and heat, the Coral De Tierra is an upscale area between Monterey & Salinas.. the problem with this area that many will have is that the pollen level here is outrageous due to the pine trees and live oak lining the funnel shapped canyon that limits air flow. If you have allergies, you will be miserable here and your better off contending with the Fog and high rents Monterey or parking it in South Salinas and accepting gangs do exist there.

Having been an outsider and living all over the area for 10 years, I think I have a pretty unbiased view of all the pros and cons out Monterey County.. Alot of people who always said they would never live in salinas have ended up settling in the Maple Park area which I think is probably one of the most reasonable places to live in the region. It was formerly the upscale area of salinas before everyone moved up the mountain into Las Palmas. Many people that originally bought there quickly realized that the mountainside has winds that will blow your pooch right off your front yard (Many sold their homes and moved into Toro Park driving up prices there). You can see all the lines of euchalyptus trees planted as windbreaks as evidence of this. Every tree along here is bent and the Climate zone is also an 8-9 vs a 9-10. I had bromeliads growing outside surving the winter in South Salinas.. just a thought if you like to garden. Maybe Im out of my mind but windswept trees are more of a pet peeve of mine then the violence aspect.
You sound like me.

OP should probably listen to this post and forget most others. Unbiased. Realistic. Informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County