Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 11:07 AM

276 posts, read 772,421 times

Advertisements

Aptos/Capitola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM

643 posts, read 915,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathj View Post
Perhaps some people enjoy living with other people from their own race and/or culture?
Lame!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM

137 posts, read 255,095 times
I just walked around downtown Watsonville. It's not even America. I was the only white person and didn't hear much English. It was
Full of dumpy stores selling $15 jeans and cowboy hats and brides dresses. It didn't feel unsafe though.

If the poster likes diversity it's not here. You have two choices of dinner. Chain American crap like mcdonalds or gross Mexican food. You would probably find your neighbors unwelcoming being the culture clash and language barrier. And your children will suffer sluggish education because many classmates don't speak English.

Why has no one recommended Monterey itself? Not that I don't agree with Aptos being a good first choice, with access to dance and entertainment in Santa Cruz. But Monterey has all that too and it's a good drive to Watsonville. Not bad traffic and about 20 minutes.

I think it depends if you want more upscale like Monterey and surrounding or a bit of surfer grunge like Santa Cruz. Since for many of your daily need those will be the towns you spend time in.

I think this should be more about which of those towns do you want to live closer to. You're not going to live in Watsonville. Trust me on that.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
I just walked around downtown Watsonville. It's not even America. I was the only white person and didn't hear much English. It was
Full of dumpy stores selling $15 jeans and cowboy hats and brides dresses. It didn't feel unsafe though.

If the poster likes diversity it's not here. You have two choices of dinner. Chain American crap like mcdonalds or gross Mexican food. You would probably find your neighbors unwelcoming being the culture clash and language barrier. And your children will suffer sluggish education because many classmates don't speak English.

Why has no one recommended Monterey itself? Not that I don't agree with Aptos being a good first choice, with access to dance and entertainment in Santa Cruz. But Monterey has all that too and it's a good drive to Watsonville. Not bad traffic and about 20 minutes.

I think it depends if you want more upscale like Monterey and surrounding or a bit of surfer grunge like Santa Cruz. Since for many of your daily need those will be the towns you spend time in.

I think this should be more about which of those towns do you want to live closer to. You're not going to live in Watsonville. Trust me on that.
Gross mexican food?? You tripping. Some of the best mexican food is in Watsonville. Dont talk **** if you havent lived there.

You cannot get from Monterey to Watsonville in 20 minutes unless you driving 90 the whole way (you will get a ticket on highway 1). The amount of bad advice here is off the charts.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,068,129 times
Quote:

Jalisco's and Cilantros are both pretty good, and yeah, 20 minutes to Monterey? Not even, 45 minutes if you're lucky - on aforementioned undivided two lane road for much of the way.

Although, the new overpass at Salinas road has cut down on accidents...

Old 11-13-2013, 12:56 PM

137 posts, read 255,095 times
I was wrong then. I thought Monterey was closer than it is. I guess that may not be an option.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,978,306 times
The best Mexican used to be in Moss Landing (The Whole Enchildada), just south of Twatsonville. But, alas, it's not anywhere as good as it used to be. Don't know why.
And I'll agree that there really aren't any good Mexican (or any other) restaurants in town.
And yes, that is one seriously poorly administered school district.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
The best Mexican used to be in Moss Landing (The Whole Enchildada), just south of Twatsonville. But, alas, it's not anywhere as good as it used to be. Don't know why.
And I'll agree that there really aren't any good Mexican (or any other) restaurants in town.
And yes, that is one seriously poorly administered school district.
Are you kidding me? El Frijolito is the best mexican restaurant on the planet. Theres a ton of other great mexican restaurants including cilantros and jaliscos as the previous poster metioned. And come one, I am a product of the Pajaro Valley School District from K-12 and I did quite alright for myself. I received a BS in Civil Engineering at age 21 from a great UC, so obvously the public schools here didnt fail me.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,978,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California831 View Post
Are you kidding me? El Frijolito is the best mexican restaurant on the planet. Theres a ton of other great mexican restaurants including cilantros and jaliscos as the previous poster metioned. And come one, I am a product of the Pajaro Valley School District from K-12 and I did quite alright for myself. I received a BS in Civil Engineering at age 21 from a great UC, so obvously the public schools here didnt fail me.
I said administration. We're talking present-day here; not when you went to school there. Different admin then.

There's a ton of great Mexican restaurants? Cilantro's is not a great restaurant, in my opinion. Actually, far from it. Now, the other Mexican restaurant near the library is really something else. I've never had tortillas that tasted like 20 Mule Team Borax before I ate there.
Yelp has the Japanese restaurant at 4.5 stars. That's got to be a "relative to the rest of the offerings" type of rating.

Anyway, to each his own.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:21 PM

480 posts, read 620,204 times
Quote:

I couldn't have said that better myself! I live on the outskirts of the Ville as my wife calls it. I don't go downtown much, do most shopping in Santa Cruz, Marina, Seaside, Gilroy or Monterey. The Ville has only one decent American type food restaurant now, California Grill over by Safeway on Freedom blvd. I'm tired of Mexican food for the most part. Many of the people around here are nice hard working familia. But there is a bad element within blocks of downtown and the W.P.D where most of the crime occurs.
Its unfortunate that the downtown area is so grungy looking. It will never attract another large department store like the few that were there previously. Home depot is a cool hangout...lol
I would steer the newcomers towards Monterey if I had a choice. Aptos is OK for a commute to the Ville. But any further North it sucks on Hwy 1 from @ 3pm till 7pm. I heard of some new housing being developed on Ft. Ord land @ Marina. That might be worth looking into for a home base. Kind of close to everything being in Marina, not that it is all that the Ville isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County