Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am new here. I currently live in Spokane Wa and am looking to relocate to Monterey County...maybe. I'm a 31 year old female and I'd be taking my 2 year old daughter and my big hairy dog I've been doing a little reading on these forums and the cities I was looking at (mostly Seaside) seem kind of scary now. I own and operate a jewelry business online and am able to live where I choose (within reason, I don't want to be house-poor). I have a hard time with the long winters here and am looking for somewhere that has lots of sun. I don't want to go farther south, as I'm already going to be pretty far from my family-don't want to be an additional days drive away. I know money will play a big role. I'm not looking to buy...I can do a maximum of $1400/mo rent for a 2 bedroom. Like I said, I have a baby, so I'm looking for somewhere where crime isn't a big problem....I know it's everywhere (Spokane is pretty bad), but I don't want to knowingly move into a situation like that. Also I'd need a place where I can have my German Shepherd. Rent is a lot cheaper here, but I'd be willing to pay more in living expenses to have a better quality of life. I'm originally from Chico/Redding, but I don't really like it there, I'd prefer a coastal town/city that has a beautiful landscape where my daughter can thrive...and I prefer smaller cities. Also, I'm an artist, so anywhere that can offer the arts and like-minded people would be a plus, but not necessary. The social aspect for myself wont be a deal-breaker. If I find a cool town with lots of retirees, but it offers all the other things I'm looking for, I'd consider it. I'll be taking a little trip to check things out this summer, but thought I'd get a head start as to where to look. Sorry this is sooo long!! Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:26 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Hi Brennah,

Monterey would be a great choice for you overall. However the housing costs will be your greatest challenge. I'm just not sure you can find anything for $1400/mo, especially considering you have a big German Shepard. Typically the lowest priced rentals don't have two bedrooms or a backyard for a dog. That said your best bet may be to look into Moore's Landing in Seaside which is located on the Fort Ord property. They allow pets with some restrictions. You'd have call to find out more. Larger dogs can be an issue. Though these units do have yards. Moore's Landing Give them a call.

As far as other options Seaside has some areas which are a little better than others. But I'm not sure you are going to find a rental that works in an area you would like.
Here's a little older house which may work: A house to call home located on a large lot

A couple more: 2br / 1 bath HOUSE, recently remodeled charmer, pet friendly
http://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/4341218604.html

Maybe if you look carefully, watching and waiting for a good deal you could find something?

Derek

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
I think if you look hard enough, you may be able to find what you are looking for in Monterey. I would highly recommend you live in Monterey. But if not, you will probably find something decent in Marina or Seaside. Good Luck! I think you will like it out here!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Location: Overlooking the vineyards, olive groves, cattle and horses in the hills of San Miguel CA
167 posts, read 336,071 times
Late last year, we (me, my wife, young son and 120lb Pit Bull) were looking at Pacific Grove... we found several 1400-ish 2br cottage/houses, large dog allowed with additional deposit small yard charmers. We decided ultimately to move farther south to SLO County, but Pac Grove is a WAY different animal than Seaside... safer, relatively sleepy, beautiful and right on the Bay as well, not to mention 17 Mile Drive... we liked the locals' take on the schools and the general community feel... and Pac Grove is *heaven* for a large dog.

Last edited by threepounduniverse; 03-24-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepounduniverse View Post
Late last year, we (me, my wife, young son and 120lb Pit Bull) were looking at Pacific Grove... we found several 1400-ish 2br cottage/houses, large dog allowed with additional deposit small yard charmers. We decided ultimately to move farther south to SLO County, but Pac Grove is a WAY different animal than Seaside... safer, relatively sleepy, beautiful and right on the Bay as well, not to mention 17 Mile Drive... we liked the locals' take on the schools and the general community feel... and Pac Grove is *heaven* for a large dog.
Maybe, but not for $1400/mo. PG is nice and has one of the best school districts, second only to Carmel. However prices definitely reflect that benefit.

Derek

Old 03-25-2014, 11:51 AM

242 posts, read 493,157 times
Your budget is definitely doable in Seaside, perhaps even north Monterey (near Seaside). You can perhaps find something in Monterey, but it would be on the smaller side. Since you are already working from home, you should already understand the need for room. Plus, you need room for a bigger dog. No need to go to Marina, especially since the fog can be bad.

Your daughter is too young for school, so there is no need to jump into a neighborhood within a better school district, especially if you are renting.

The art scene in Monterey is dismal. Most of the galleries have what I cal "old people art". Lots of landscapes. The galleries cater to the tourists that come in. There is little in terms modern art, and you can forget outsider art. There is a new place called Green Chalk Contemporary (HOME) which I have yet to visit. People in Monterey tend to skip out on the arts unless wine is involved.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM

92 posts, read 189,813 times
Besides cost of living issues (housing is not the only increased expense in Monterey--food, utilities, etc) it is not sunny ALL the time as you would expect in a California coastal town. There is a lot of fog, especially in the summer. I am a native to southern California and when we moved to the Monterey area, I found summer (especially) to be quite depressing. If you want more sun you might look further south to Oxnard, Santa Maria, etc.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
Would you by chance be looking to buy? Might actually be cheaper than renting, and in the right home, it might be easy to turn around and resell. Don't buy unless you plan to stay there 3-5 years or more, though.

As for renting in this area, Monterey would actually work. If you don't like Seaside, consider Marina.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 PM

643 posts, read 917,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Would you by chance be looking to buy? Might actually be cheaper than renting, and in the right home, it might be easy to turn around and resell. Don't buy unless you plan to stay there 3-5 years or more, though.

As for renting in this area, Monterey would actually work. If you don't like Seaside, consider Marina.
I disagree. It is way more cost efficient to rent in this area.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:31 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
I also wanted to suggest Temecula and Murrietta-technically they are in Riverside county, but only 45 minutes from San Diego. There's actually some cool art/artists in Temecula and the city's farmer's market is wonderful. It's not an art or cultural magnet, but there are enough amenities and positives to make it a good option in your case, I think. The schools are highly regarded [check great schools dot org for reviews], it's both family and retiree friendly and it's only 30 minutes to SD north county beaches. It's also more affordable than most of the coastal areas-your budget should not be a problem for a condo/townhome and you *might* even find a house to rent. Downtown temecula is cute and has some tourism and local businesses, as well.

Weather is typically sunny and moderate, though gets warmer in the summer since it's inland. But air quality is good overall and, as mentioned, beaches are not far to cool off during that time of year. Temecula is considered san diego county's wine country-very pretty vineyards in the area. I think it would be a good area to transition to from Spokane, too. For 'real art', there are day/weekend trips to LA, Laguna Beach, Santa Barbara, etc. Convenient location, very family friendly and enough amenities to find what you need for daily living.

Also, the Ojai/Camarillo area might be great for you-your housing budget probably won't work there, but it might be worth checking out anyway-since 'you never know' (:. You'd be close to the coast -Ventura and Santa Barbara, and in an artist's heaven, as well!

I know you are asking about monterey specifically; I happened to see your post and these other towns/cities came to mind. Good luck! All areas are beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County