Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 PM

235 posts, read 405,087 times

Advertisements

Barovelli,

I loved the KMBY webpage reminiscence. Do you have any of those top 12 sheets from 1972-73 to share? I used to listen to KMBY every night on my transistor radio, hoping that I'd hear one of my two favorite songs from that era: "Go All the Way" by the Raspberries, or "Layla" by Derek and the Dominos. Great memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
I remember Haigen Higgins. Also another DJ named Joe Real. There was also live remotes at Cypress Bowl on the weekend mornings. You could hear pins crashing in the background.

There's a post on my personal web site reminiscing about KMBY with recent pictures. barovelli.com - KMBY 1240 Memories

More restaurants on North Fremont -
Sambos
Uncle John's Pancake House
Obergs
Del Taco
Fosters Freeze
Toppers Steak House
Years ago I sometimes took my sis bowling at Monterey Lanes or Cypress Bowl.

I've known Bob Oberg for many years. His place was called "the Sable Knight" before.

When I was single, I shared a 2bdrm apt with a buddy, on Casanova Avenue...

Friends, the Enea brothers had a place called "la Cantina", over close to Roller Chevrolet.

Long ago I had a small apt on David Ave. I liked going over to Segovia's, on Lighthouse.

Segovia's - Monterey, CA | Yelp

After "The Warehouse" shutdown, they had Oscar Hossenfelter's video game room & the 'Merry-Go-Round......

Once in a while we went to "The Outrigger" for dinner...right there on Cannery Row. It has a different name now.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:56 PM

Bob Oberg's "Sable Knight" on Fremont......

Post Card Bob Oberg's Sable Knight Restaurant Monterey - bidStart (item 17651371 in Postcards... Other)

Old 05-17-2014, 11:48 PM

47 posts, read 135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Years ago I sometimes took my sis bowling at Monterey Lanes or Cypress Bowl.

I've known Bob Oberg for many years. His place was called "the Sable Knight" before.

When I was single, I shared a 2bdrm apt with a buddy, on Casanova Avenue...

Friends, the Enea brothers had a place called "la Cantina", over close to Roller Chevrolet.

Long ago I had a small apt on David Ave. I liked going over to Segovia's, on Lighthouse.

Segovia's - Monterey, CA | Yelp

After "The Warehouse" shutdown, they had Oscar Hossenfelter's video game room & the 'Merry-Go-Round......

Once in a while we went to "The Outrigger" for dinner...right there on Cannery Row. It has a different name now.
Outrigger is now "The Fish Hopper"

More of "What it was - is now"

Sambos - Chef Lee's Mandarin House
Uncle John's Pancake House - Monterey Cookhouse
Obergs - Vacant
Del Taco - Sushi By The Bay
Fosters Freeze - Grandma's Kitchen
Toppers Steak House - Happy Dragon
Perry Boys Smorgy - Monterey Peninsula Dialysis

My mom is a retired waitress that worked all over Monterey. Outrigger, Sambo's on Fremont and Grandma's Kitchen were some of the places she worked.

My uncle worked at the body shop at Roller Chevrolet.

And is it true that there was a girl on a swing at Oberg's? Before my time. So was Jake's #2

I laugh at the whole "North Fremont Street" name. The business district there didn't like the fact that many people thought that they were in Seaside. Even though Seaside's stretch of Fremont was a "Boulevard" and it was north of their Fremont Street they somehow did not want to associate with Seaside. Come to think of it, the car dealers in Seaside don't appreciate the town either, they all call themselves "Monterey [insert car brand]" to somehow elevate the business.

Anyway the street was renamed "North Fremont". And that overhead sign on Highway 1 northbound dropped the "Seaside" from it's green background.

Then another cut off portion of Fremont Street was re-named 10th street. Poor explorer John Fremont, his namesake getting renamed and totally wiped out.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
I delivered the Monterey Peninsula-Herald. It was an afternoon paper. I walked a route between Clay Street and High Street and had to stop in every two weeks to collect subscription money from my customers. They often invited me in for a snack, cookie or beverage; I especially fondly recall the hot chocolate that several of my customers gave me in the winter time when it was pretty cold outside.
Hey, I was an afternoon Herald carrier too. 7th, 8th, 9th and Fremont in Oak Grove. Come home from school and wrap papers. Friday papers always were the lightest. Double inserts on Wednesday or Thursday took more time to wrap. And decide if you really needed to bag them if there were rainclouds in the sky..

Old 05-18-2014, 05:57 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
Worked at KRML (Sam Salerno was the owner then), KIDD (doing news with Jack Parr), KDON (when the AM was the number one station in the market, DJ's included Brian Roc and Johnny Morgan)

Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Worked at KRML (Sam Salerno was the owner then), KIDD (doing news with Jack Parr), KDON (when the AM was the number one station in the market, DJ's included Brian Roc and Johnny Morgan)
KIDD - From the Pacific Grove Tribune, January 1, 1975.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
Outrigger is now "The Fish Hopper"

More of "What it was - is now"

Sambos - Chef Lee's Mandarin House
Uncle John's Pancake House - Monterey Cookhouse
Obergs - Vacant
Del Taco - Sushi By The Bay
Fosters Freeze - Grandma's Kitchen
Toppers Steak House - Happy Dragon
Perry Boys Smorgy - Monterey Peninsula Dialysis

My mom is a retired waitress that worked all over Monterey. Outrigger, Sambo's on Fremont and Grandma's Kitchen were some of the places she worked.

My uncle worked at the body shop at Roller Chevrolet.

And is it true that there was a girl on a swing at Oberg's? Before my time. So was Jake's #2

I laugh at the whole "North Fremont Street" name. The business district there didn't like the fact that many people thought that they were in Seaside. Even though Seaside's stretch of Fremont was a "Boulevard" and it was north of their Fremont Street they somehow did not want to associate with Seaside. Come to think of it, the car dealers in Seaside don't appreciate the town either, they all call themselves "Monterey [insert car brand]" to somehow elevate the business.

Anyway the street was renamed "North Fremont". And that overhead sign on Highway 1 northbound dropped the "Seaside" from it's green background.

Then another cut off portion of Fremont Street was re-named 10th street. Poor explorer John Fremont, his namesake getting renamed and totally wiped out.
My mom & sis liked going to "The Old Fisherman's Grotto Restaurant" quite often. It is owned by Sabu Shake Sr. He is their friend. He was always around there, sometimes handing out free clam chowder, out in front of his place... His son Chris is in charge now, I believe.

The way I understand it, the Shake family also owns "The Fish Hopper" on Cannery Row.

Old Fisherman's Grotto Seafood, Steak and Pasta Restaurant in Monterey California

http://www.fishhopper.com/monterey/

When Bob Oberg opened "The Sable Knight" he did indeed have a beautiful girl swinging above, in the front window......

I liked stopping for 'steak & eggs', etc at Sambo's, then the name was changed.

When I was attending Monterey High, I also worked in the Parts Dept, at Cypress Motors.

We were living in Stilwell Park, in Fort Ord. At 4am I would ride my Lambretta motor scooter in to Monterey, to go to work at Cypress Motors.

Last edited by Hawk J; 05-18-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 09:18 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
I don't think the above KIDD ad is from 1975. I worked with all those people and several left at the same time I did to work other stations. The ad seems more like it came from 1973. I was there in 73-74 era. Ilene and I both think the ad came from earlier than '75

Old 05-24-2014, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,689 times
Hey -

I'm still around. My name's Philip, and the picture features Chango the Monkey. The show retired in 2006, after a 36 year run. My last monkey, Goldie, is still alive, and living in an animal sanctuary in Texas. Check out Monkey Models There's a video of Chango slapping a guy's head, along with hurdy gurdy music. Cheers,

Hurdy Gurdy Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County