Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 PM

235 posts, read 405,087 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I lived in Monterey in 1972-73 as a young child, attending Thomas O Larkin Elementary School as a sixth grader. I lived on Clay Street, and I recall stepping outside at night to see the Hotel San Carlos red neon sign, the planes coming and going from Ft. Ord in the distance, and hearing the barking of the sea lions. There was a seafood restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf that had a very prominent flashing neon sign back then that I could also see quite well, but I can't remember the name. I think the restaurant began with the letter "A". Can anyone help me?

I was in Miss Vallon's class in 1972. She was one of my favorites. I wish I could remember her first name for my memoirs. If anyone else had Miss Vallon, please pass on her name!

One of my favorite memories was the restaurant Capone's Warehouse at Cannery Row. I remember the hilarious menus (not politically correct today!) and the phone booth that you had to walk through to enter the place. Or the candy selection at Dee's Place--the bar near the entrance at the Presidio, where I as a 10-year-old could bring a dollar and take home a bag of candies.

Great memories. I appreciate anyone's help. Also if anyone has a reference to additional information about life in Monterey in the early 1970s I'd love to receive it. Happy Easter to all from a South Carolinian with great memories of boyhood in Monterey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM

47 posts, read 135,391 times
Was it Abalonetti? It's been there a long time - my parents were frequent dine-out types and I got to sample many restaurant meals growing up in the 70s. It was my introduction to calamari.

My wedding reception was at the Hotel San Carlos, my stepdad was a chef at the restaurant there.

More 70s? The Del Monte Express arriving signaled time to be back home in the summer - was about 8pm I recall.
Dennis the Menace park was much more adventurous - friends would hop the fence at night. We also explored it during it's remodel.

More 70s Cannery row - another adventurous place to play was the shut down cannery buildings. There were easy entrances here and there. We could also play under the wharfs.

Movies downtown were either at the State or the Regency. Hellams Tobacco shop had a huge candy selection to stock up on before going in the theater.

Best hot fudge sundae was at The Poppy.

I'd buy 'cut out' record albums at Woolworth for 25 cents each.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:14 PM

Default thanks!

Yes! It was indeed Abalonetti's. Their sign was visible from our house. I enjoyed your additional memories. Could you tell me what the Del Monte Express was? I don't recall that. I do remember Hellam's--wasn't it right next to the old movie theater on Alvarado? There was also a Baskin-Robbins further down the road on the other side, and next to it was a hobby shop that had those display cases with the mechanized shelves that contained prized items like coins, stamps, and trains and slot car sets.

Dennis the Menace Park had the paddle boats and the train to climb on. Don't know if they're still there. Speaking of candy places, the drug store at the street level of the Hotel San Carlos was another great site.

What happened to the old Thomas O. Larkin school? Was it incorporated into the holdings of the Presidio?

Do you remember the organ grinder with his monkey at the entrance to the Wharf? I often walked down there after school to see the barking sea lions and watch the little monkey at work.

My Mom had groceries delivered from Troia's Grocery. The owner's daughter, Maria, was in my sixth grade class. We had no car so the walk up hill from Troia's or Safeway with bags of groceries was quite taxing!

I welcome your reply with more "landmarks" of growing up in Monterey in 1972-73. Thank you for helping me get that name straight on the restaurant--

Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 13,750 times
I was the manager at Flora's and then Capone's Warehouse from 1970 to 1973. I have met many former military personnel that visited at that time. I also worked at the Sardine Factory, Barbara Kelly's, Aldon's, the Briar House, Pine Inn, The Shutters and Del Monte Lodge 1967 thru 1977.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:15 PM

Default Restaurants

Could you recall some of the more popular restaurants besides Capone's Warehouse in Monterey at that time (early 1970s?). Thanks for replying.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:59 AM

604 posts, read 933,904 times
I worked in radio in Monterey during that period. You've brought back great memories. First time I went to Abalonettie's (remember having to access the small dining area through the fish market) I sat at a table and looked to my right and Clint Eastwood was dining there. I still have visions of the "Marty Special". I remember sitting through planning commission and town council meetings where they discussed the development of the Row, the Aquarium and the Convention Center. I also remember the 'coincidental' fires that destroyed the old cannery buildings. My last home in Monterey was renting a studio guest cottage behind a modest home in New Monterey on Archer street. My landlady taught Russian at DLI.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:07 PM

Do you remember a disc jockey on KMBY named Haigen Higgins?

Old 05-17-2014, 03:29 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddo61 View Post
Do you remember a disc jockey on KMBY named Haigen Higgins?
I remember listening to KMBY in the early 70's, mostly Fridays, Saturdays. They were always giving away free Pizza, over on Fremont, next to Perry Boys Smorgy. Close to the Fairgrounds......

I'm not sure, it might have been Round Table Pizza...

Old 05-17-2014, 04:07 PM

47 posts, read 135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I remember listening to KMBY in the early 70's, mostly Fridays, Saturdays. They were always giving away free Pizza, over on Fremont, next to Perry Boys Smorgy. Close to the Fairgrounds......

I'm not sure, it might have been Round Table Pizza...
I remember Haigen Higgins. Also another DJ named Joe Real. There was also live remotes at Cypress Bowl on the weekend mornings. You could hear pins crashing in the background.

There's a post on my personal web site reminiscing about KMBY with recent pictures. barovelli.com - KMBY 1240 Memories

More restaurants on North Fremont -
Sambos
Uncle John's Pancake House
Obergs
Del Taco
Fosters Freeze
Toppers Steak House

Old 05-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Default Great Memories

I had totally forgotten about Sambo's. It was a family restaurant like Denny's if I recall, with the high-back cushioned bench seats. There was a hobby shop on Alvarado next to the Baskin-Robbins--does anyone remember the name of it? I would almost drool over the contents of the display cases--slot cars, coins, stamps, and of course model trains. I absolutely loved walking downtown after school and just window-shopping.

There was a newscaster on the CBS affiliate at that time named Jim Dooley. The sportscaster on the same station was Sam Salermo. Art Bell of Coast to Coast fame was a reporter briefly for the same station. Does any one remember any of the other on-air personalities from the early 70s?

I attended Thomas O. Larkin Elementary School as a sixth grader in Miss Vallon's class in 1972-73. On January 11, 1973, our class was briefly interrupted by a very rare snow event. Miss Vallon just stopped teaching and let us all wander outside to enjoy the brief snow flurries. But there was a snow cap on Mt. Toro for several weeks afterward to remind us of it.

I delivered the Monterey Peninsula-Herald. It was an afternoon paper. I walked a route between Clay Street and High Street and had to stop in every two weeks to collect subscription money from my customers. They often invited me in for a snack, cookie or beverage; I especially fondly recall the hot chocolate that several of my customers gave me in the winter time when it was pretty cold outside.

I really enjoy the random memories that some of you have posted here. If any of you know what ever happened to Larkin Elementary (was it subsumed into the Presidio?) or Miss Vallon, I'd love to know. She was one of my favorite teachers ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County