U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 08:40 PM

5,480 posts, read 12,308,030 times

Advertisements

For those who enjoy a good salad bar and are in the area here are our favorites:

1. Crazy Horse - this the best kept local secret (until now) and our kids' favorite restaurant. In addition to a great salad spread they offer cold cuts and several great ice creams for desert. So you can create your own sandwich with your salad and soup.

2. Chart House - more expensive with beautiful view of the bay. You are definately paying for ambiance here. But the salad bar is quite good.

3. Jack's Restaurant in the Portola Hotel - This excellent salad bar is only open during the weekdays at lunch. I just went there today for a business lunch and was blown away by the lobster bisque that went with it. There was so much lobster in the soap that it was a meal in itself. It looked something like this:

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:42 AM

643 posts, read 744,918 times
My favorite is Jacks by far. Crazy horse is OK, although I feel they can use better quality meats.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:16 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,677,441 times
We always hit Crazy Horse. It was a pretty solid choice especially for the price. Chart House was pretty good too, but wasn't impressed otherwise with the restaurant (other than location). Never been to Jack's.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Chart House

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
We always hit Crazy Horse. It was a pretty solid choice especially for the price. Chart House was pretty good too, but wasn't impressed otherwise with the restaurant (other than location). Never been to Jack's.
Yes, I agree with comments about the Chart House. It's only a faint shadow of what it used to be decades ago under the original owners' inspiration. It used to be 'the' restaurant to go to for all special occasions. I seriously am not joking. And the salad bar was much better along with everything else - teriyaki steaks, mahi mahi, etc...

The Chart House was started by a famous Hawaiian surfer, Joey Cabell, in the 60s. It had a true classy Polynesian atmosphere and vibe with awesome food. I guess Roys might be the closest comparison to what it once was. Though it was better in the 70s & 80s. Then some large corporation bought the chain and it lost all its personality and most of what made it a great restaurant. The change was both dramatic and quick to everyone's surprise. For those who are too young or never visited it in its prime its basically just ok food now and expensive with a view. But for those who enjoyed it back in those prime decades its a bummer now. When I go its usually for nostalgia and the ambiance. They still pride themselves in having the best views which is at least something I guess. But to me its more of the story of how some corporations can really ruin a good thing with very little common sense.

The beginning of the end:

"A goal of the multi-tiered revitalization project was to ensure that Chart House restaurants maintained a high-level profile as classy dining establishments. Harry Roberts told Nation's Restaurant News that Chart House viewed its desired competitors as Ruth's Chris, Morton's, and independent steak houses--not the Outbacks of the world. To ensure a sophisticated image, Roberts began to look at replacement of Hawaiian themes and salad bars, preferring a "yacht club" look: wood-fired ovens in the bars and new menu items including tiger shrimp beignets, lobster cakes, grilled artichokes and designer pizzas. Perhaps the most controversial upgrade was the phasing out of Chart House's signature salad bars, a favorite of some longtime patrons. To please these customers, Chart House decided to offer unlimited "just ask" refills on a la carte salads. As part of the revitalization, Joseph Mayhew, Jr. was named director of food service, overseeing new menu item development and service. Mayhew is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, New York." --http://www.fundinguniverse.com/compa...s-inc-history/

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-06-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 03:38 PM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,005,965 times
You had me up until I found out that the picture wasn't from the restaurant noted (or at least not from your meal there) and you called it SOAP, not soup !!! I was just about to jump in my car for a road trip !!!

JK - looks good! Thanks for the tips !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
For those who enjoy a good salad bar and are in the area here are our favorites:

snip snip

3. Jack's Restaurant in the Portola Hotel - This excellent salad bar is only open during the weekdays at lunch. I just went there today for a business lunch and was blown away by the lobster bisque that went with it. There was so much lobster in the soap that it was a meal in itself. It looked something like this:

Derek

Old 06-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
You had me up until I found out that the picture wasn't from the restaurant noted (or at least not from your meal there) and you called it SOAP, not soup !!! I was just about to jump in my car for a road trip !!!

JK - looks good! Thanks for the tips !
Yeah, it really annoys me that you can't edit posts after the fact. I noticed that too after it was too late of course. Other forums I participate in allow unlimited editing which for me is a good thing.

But yeah, the day I went the lobster 'soup' looked that good. There was so much lobster it was like a meal.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:26 PM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,005,965 times
I believe that you do have a window of 90 minutes to make changes and then after that you can always report your own post and ask a Mod to change it for you!

Anyways, I bought Lobster Bisque from Costco and really liked it, but that pic you shared looked 10X better and I'd love to get some like that . I might be heading south this week, but it is out of my way. Decisions, decisions ???

Thanks again! I love all the photography that you do and appreciate your postings when I get a chance to see them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, it really annoys me that you can't edit posts after the fact. I noticed that too after it was too late of course. Other forums I participate in allow unlimited editing which for me is a good thing.

But yeah, the day I went the lobster 'soup' looked that good. There was so much lobster it was like a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or