Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 PM

18 posts, read 55,362 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Yet another relocating thread! I'm Canadian and got a job offer in Salinas, CA. I will be moving down in August and have some time to look for a place to live before starting work. A few things about me: mid 20s, I like yoga, exercising, dining out, shopping and sightseeing, I'd like to meet people around my age of course. I like to be able to walk to amenities but I know California has a car culture. I also have family in San Jose and will likely be going there often.

I've read quite a bit about Salinas on this board and am not sure I want to live in the area. I've started searching and found a lot of the nicer apartments don't have any 1 bedroom units currently (wait lists). I'm also a little surprised about the cost of rent for some of the places ($1350+utilities), being a smaller city with the reputation it has. I've read on the forum as well as heard from future coworkers that many people live in Monterey/Pacific Grove and commute to Salinas (approx 30-35 mins). I'm starting to really consider this, so I did a quick craigslist search, there are apartments there from 900-1200. They're certainly not luxurious and new but from what I've heard it's a better area, safer, more things to do, and it's close to the beach! Monterey/PG is starting to look like a better option, although I'm not sure about the commute. Living close to work and not having to drive far in a new country/place might be a bit less stressful. It may also keep costs down in terms of gas. I was also possibly considering somewhere like Gilroy, half way between Salinas and San Jose since I will likely be going to the SF bay area often. Not sure what the prices for apartments are like there.

Any thoughts or suggestions please? I would appreciate it. Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:13 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Commuting North to Salinas had no traffic - the other way is bad so anything from Carmel to Salinas and you are good.

Like ANY "affordable" city, good parts and not good parts...

I live in South Salinas, nice area, but not sure on rental situation (ie: costs). Everything North is far from the beach, hot, and not worth the commute. I would recommend staying in the area.

Check Craigslist for room rentals (house share), $600-700 is the upper end from my experience. Note: you can clearly end up paying much much more depending on the area.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I lived in Salinas for seven years and Monterey for another four. My job was near the airport in Monterey. The commute from Salinas took about 30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic, but would have been better if I had been going the opposite direction (Monterey to Salinas). As TwistedGray said, South Salinas is an O.K. area. My last apartment in Salinas was in that area and I quite liked it. I discovered that when I first moved to Monterey County that I kind of had to take what I could get (a large and somewhat expensive complex with lots of units available). After I was there a few years I learned of where I could get better deals. Its like that with any new community a person moves to - takes a while to get your bearings.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
If you are in your 20s and not from the area Monterey will be much more interesting and enjoyable, IMO. I agree with the advice you received from coworkers. Do the drive and live closer to things you'll want to do and generally feel safer doing like walking around downtown, restaurants, the wharf at night, etc... For the difference in rentals you'll have more to look forward to around your home based on the things you stated. Salinas is more spread out by comparison and not necessarily the place you'll want to hang out and meet younger singles. You'll end up driving to Monterey for that anyway.

Gilroy is the garlic capital of the world and mainly a farming community as are many smaller towns along Hwy 101 and the Salinas Valley. I don't think you'll find what you're looking for there at all, unless you really like garlic.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-26-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
That isn't you, is it Derek?

Old 07-26-2014, 05:52 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
That isn't you, is it Derek?
Who, me? Hahaaa No, I don't like garlic that much!!! Plus I don't like white dresses.

Derek

Old 07-27-2014, 11:53 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
The Garlic Festival is going on right now. My brother said he went......He said it was about 105.

Home - Gilroy Garlic Festival | July 25th, 26th & 27th | 36th Annual 1979-2014

Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 PM

353 posts, read 426,497 times
Did that once (re; Garlic festival) and it was in the 100s then as well...too much and that ice cream is yuck!

Old 07-28-2014, 11:24 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Several years' I took my girl friend to the festival. We enjoyed people watching, the music, food, enjoying some ice cold beers, trying to stay in the shade.....

Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
If you are in your 20s and not from the area Monterey will be much more interesting and enjoyable, IMO. I agree with the advice you received from coworkers. Do the drive and live closer to things you'll want to do and generally feel safer doing like walking around downtown, restaurants, the wharf at night, etc... For the difference in rentals you'll have more to look forward to around your home based on the things you stated. Salinas is more spread out by comparison and not necessarily the place you'll want to hang out and meet younger singles. You'll end up driving to Monterey for that anyway.

Gilroy is the garlic capital of the world and mainly a farming community as are many smaller towns along Hwy 101 and the Salinas Valley. I don't think you'll find what you're looking for there at all, unless you really like garlic.

Derek
The only slight downside to Monterey for the OP is that they said they will be going to San Jose often for family. Other than that I agree about Monterey for someone in their 20's. Odds are they may end up living in north Monterey or possibly south Seaside if they have a tight budget, but that is still reasonably close to the activites, restaurants, recreation, and attractions. North Monterey will put them closer to the Monterey County Fairgrounds (possible walking distance from some residential areas) where the Monterey Jazz Festival, the County Fair, and other events take place, so it has that going for it. Believe there is a nice golf course adjacent to the fairgrounds that is more reasonable price wise than some of the other area courses, too, if the OP is a golfer.

Monterey will add about 25-30 minutes to the trip to San Jose compared to Salinas which is no big deal if it was just occasional.

As to Salinas, the best bets for walkability is a south Salinas neighborhood within 4 or 5 blocks of the Oldtown area where the Steinbeck Center, Maya Cinemas and some good eateries are. The north Salinas area is far more spread out and has more chain restaurants, but there is a nice trail network in the Creekbridge neighborhood. I'll often combine my shopping at the Safeway there with a walk on the adjacent trail. East Salinas is best avoided IMO (referring to east of Sanborn mainly, but the portion north of Freedom Parkway is OK).

The city of Marina might also be the happy medium between the two. It is not a destination city itself but has great access to other towns that are. Marina State Beach provides a nice ocean view and you can watch hang gliders there. It is also near the Fort Ord Dunes State Park with its trails and the Marina Dunes shopping center basically at the southern edge of town (but away from the residential areas) has Kohls, Target with a Starbucks, Old Navy, REI, and a few others. Now if they would put a few restaurants in that center! It would add just 10-15 minutes to the San Jose trips compared to Salinas. That would also be the closest of the three to Moss Landing and Capitola to the north if they wanted an occasional quick day trip north on the weekend while Monterey would still be just 10-15 minutes south. Marina to Salinas is only about a 20 minute drive for an easy commute.

If the OP can afford something in Monterey proper or that immediate area though, definitely give it a try! It is a very nice city.

It offers the most to do on foot and I have made the walk from downtown Monterey to Fisherman's Wharf to Cannery Row and back (usually when a friend from San Jose visits). Easy to do and much of it is on a trail system without worries about the street traffic.

Just my ten cents!

BTW...funny picture. LOL!

Last edited by chessgeek; 07-28-2014 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County