Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 07:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,865 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our early sixties, young in spirit, living in Los Angeles for the last 14 years from the Bay Area, we are thinking about moving to Monterey, we would like to know what price range are rental condos or houses and what would be a good business to open there. Thank so much for any good replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:33 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
The best place to get a good general idea of rental prices is craigslist. Much depends on the location, size and amenities just like the Bay Area or LA. If you are talking about the city of Monterey itself vs. the general area it is also the hub and therefore more expensive than places like Salinas, Seaside or Marina. But to some its worth the price difference.

monterey bay apts/housing for rent - craigslist

As far as businesses go that's really hard to say. Because Monterey is a tourist destination with events going on throughout the year businesses which cater to visitors such as restaurants can do well. This even includes the common chains such as Chipotle which locals like as well. We are missing some important ones which I think would do really well such as Rubios, Baja Fresh and Wahoos. Of course there are hundreds of other types of businesses which could work out well depending on the niche they attempt to fill. For example there is one crummy do-it-yourself car wash in Seaside. I'm sure another one would be welcomed. With all the military in the area moving and storage services could probably do well. Medical services is a huge area with room for growth or simply more options. Doctors offices are always filled it seems.

Derek

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 13,286 times
I may be coming to fort ord for a one year project. Are there any reasonably weekly rentals?

Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Huff View Post
I may be coming to fort ord for a one year project. Are there any reasonably weekly rentals?
If you are in the military there is military housing with a pretty good selection throughout Monterey. If not check out Moore's Landing which is on the Fort Ord property. But they rent to civilians as well: Moore's Landing

Then of course check craigslist under temporary housing: monterey sublets & temporary " " - craigslist

I think some normal apartment rentals will work as well as they typically have 1 year leases.

Derek

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM

242 posts, read 493,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
there is one crummy do-it-yourself car wash in Seaside. I'm sure another one would be welcomed.
There is one in Monterey on Fremont next to the old Outdoor World, plus the one in Seaside on Broadway.

Besides restaurants, not sure what business are lacking here in Monterey, or more precisely, business which are lacking but that are also in demand. I would love a proper small music venue, but it probably would not be attended.

Some towns like Pacific Grove, Carmel and to a small extent Monterey are anti-chain. Tourists love chain restaurants, but the touristy areas tend to lack any of them.

Captain Huff, I would suggest starting a new thread.

Old 08-27-2014, 01:41 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
The best place to get a good general idea of rental prices is craigslist. Much depends on the location, size and amenities just like the Bay Area or LA. If you are talking about the city of Monterey itself vs. the general area it is also the hub and therefore more expensive than places like Salinas, Seaside or Marina. But to some its worth the price difference.

monterey bay apts/housing for rent - craigslist

As far as businesses go that's really hard to say. Because Monterey is a tourist destination with events going on throughout the year businesses which cater to visitors such as restaurants can do well. This even includes the common chains such as Chipotle which locals like as well. We are missing some important ones which I think would do really well such as Rubios, Baja Fresh and Wahoos. Of course there are hundreds of other types of businesses which could work out well depending on the niche they attempt to fill. For example there is one crummy do-it-yourself car wash in Seaside. I'm sure another one would be welcomed. With all the military in the area moving and storage services could probably do well. Medical services is a huge area with room for growth or simply more options. Doctors offices are always filled it seems.

Derek
Is El Estero Car Wash still on Fremont past MPC, toward Munras Avenue ? It was there for many years...

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe View Post
There is one in Monterey on Fremont next to the old Outdoor World, plus the one in Seaside on Broadway.

Besides restaurants, not sure what business are lacking here in Monterey, or more precisely, business which are lacking but that are also in demand. I would love a proper small music venue, but it probably would not be attended.

Some towns like Pacific Grove, Carmel and to a small extent Monterey are anti-chain. Tourists love chain restaurants, but the touristy areas tend to lack any of them.

Captain Huff, I would suggest starting a new thread.
Hm, although I've never noticed that car wash on Fremont I looked it up and it looks like it may have closed along with Outdoor World. Even if it didn't it looks really smaller and more run down than the one in Seaside. Here's a recent photo I found with it for sale: 2236 Fremont St, Monterey, Ca 93940 | Rosa and Sharon Team - San Jose Real Estate.

While a couple of towns may be anti-chain the overall Monterey area including Monterey itself definitely is not. In fact the 'right chains' draw folks like magnets (tourists and locals alike). Let me name just a few that are doing crazy amounts of business: Chipotle, Jamba Juice, Islands, Starbucks, Pizza My Heart, Fat Burger, Black Bear Diner, California Pizza Kitchen, Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory, Cold Stone Creamery, Subway, Chilis, etc... Where I work there are folks who go out to lunch daily to these chains which are very busy. We've visited all of them and some we like more than others such as Islands and Cold Stone. If Monterey had a Baja Fresh or Wahoos I know they would be busy as well. Fresh, good quality and reasonably priced fish tacos will always be a big hit along coastal California. Heck, they are even popular in the Midwestern states now as well.

A small music venue would be great. Live music does occur at some of the local restaurants and hotels. Since I love Jazz we enjoy hearing it at places like the Hyatt, Bay of Pines and Portola Inn (Next Generation Jazz Festival), etc... We would love a Jazz club with decent food (tri-tip sandwiches, fish, salads, etc...).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-27-2014 at 11:50 PM..

Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Is El Estero Car Wash still on Fremont past MPC, toward Munras Avenue ? It was there for many years...
Its still there although it seems to get pretty mediocre reviews: El Estero Car Wash - Monterey, CA | Yelp

I usually prefer washing the cars myself at home. But with all the water rationing it's becoming more cost effective to use the coin operated car washes, not to mention quicker.

Derek

Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Its still there although it seems to get pretty mediocre reviews: El Estero Car Wash - Monterey, CA | Yelp

I usually prefer washing the cars myself at home. But with all the water rationing it's becoming more cost effective to use the coin operated car washes, not to mention quicker.

Derek
Yep, they did a much better job years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County