Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2015, 11:55 PM

50 posts, read 77,966 times

Advertisements

This August my wife and I will be attending the Monterey Historic car races at Laguna Seca Raceway as well as other collector-car events in Monterey and Pebble Beach. We'll be driving a vintage car up there from SoCal and safe overnight parking is of prime importance. The problem is, all the motels in/around Monterey that weekend are already either filled up, too expensive (even 2-star, poorly rated ones are getting $300+ per night), or both. I've discovered too late that many people who regularly attend these events often book more desirable motel rooms YEARS in advance.

As an alternative, I'm considering finding a motel within an hour or so from Monterey and then driving to the car events early in the morning. I'm looking at places along the 101 such as Prunedale, Gilroy, or Morgan Hill but would be willing to go as far north as San Jose if necessary. How far would I need to go from Monterey in order to get into a reasonably "safe" area where crime isn't much of an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Oh boy. Uh, no. NOT places like Prunedale or Gilroy, certainly. But the campgrounds at the raceway can't be reserved "years in advance". Have you looked on-line or called them to see how far in advance reservations are allowed and fill up? My guess is the sites right there probably opened by first of the new year and are filled already, though.

Other than that, Monterey and Carmel are your two best and closest urban areas to try to maybe locate a secure private lot. Like an RV storage space. Some storage places offer units for vehicles. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:39 AM

OK, thanks; I'll bypass those towns completely. I've been through Morgan Hill and it seems like a nice area; maybe that's an option. Beyond that, there's San Jose.

I don't mean to sound like I have a multi-million dollar collector car like some of the participants who go there in a caravan and arrive in a trailer; I do have several special-interest cars but the one we'll be driving up there is a vintage BMW that's in excellent shape, and I'd sure hate to lose it to theft or vandalism. I don't need a private lot; just a nice motel in a safe area will do (hopefully).

Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 PM

274 posts, read 353,723 times
A closer option than San Jose could be the Best Western in Aptos. That should be very safe.

http://www.seacliffinn.com/

Last edited by moon2; 01-12-2015 at 09:45 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 10:36 PM

Thank you moon2; I'll check it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:48 PM

47 posts, read 135,583 times
The Monterey area is just as bad - every car week cars get stolen, every MotoGP bikes get taken. Last year a Corvette was taken in Pacific Grove on Ocean View. Be aware and don't let your guard down.

http://www.thecalifornian.com/articl...eninsula-heist

The Corvette was recovered, btw:
Stolen 1962 Corvette Back Home With Owner

Old 01-15-2015, 08:50 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
I agree with looking into the Santa Cruz/Aptos area.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM

472 posts, read 526,865 times
Look around the area for indoor storage, you might find some that will do a weekly/daily rate.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County