Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 01:48 AM
SyZ SyZ started this thread

151 posts, read 139,565 times

Advertisements

Single guy, not looking to flirt or hook up or anything, just want a day away and to relax

I'm planning to spend 4-5 hours or so at the Aquarium, I'm thinking after lunch. I want to just have a quick / easy / light lunch and then a sit down place for dinner - any suggestions?

Any ideas of other things to do with some extra time? Maybe a waterfront place to sit and read a book on my kindle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM

472 posts, read 527,048 times
Where are you from? Are you familiar with the area, have you done the usual things such as 17 mile drive, Cannery Row, Pier?

You can take a really long walk in either direction from the Aquarium, you will run into lots of people (From the aquarium walk up the hill and you will see a walking trail/bike trail. Its an amazing walk with awesome views.

As far as food goes, not sure what you like or your price point? Sardine Factory is nice but really expensive. If you don't mind a short drive Phis's is one of my favorite places to eat. Phil's Fish Market

Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
There are lot of restaurants right there near the aquarium.

Head down to the Monterey Wharf. There is plenty to do there in terms of good places to eat and just hang out.

Also, if I had extra time I might want to check out:

Pacific Grove/Asilomar. Drive the road that Ocean View/Sunset Dr. Then park at Asilomar and walking along the boardwalk into Pebble Beach's Spanish Bay - Beautiful area!

You can even have dinner at Spanish Bay. They have some really nice restaurants overlooking the golf course and water.

If you are even more adventurous head over to Carmel, Point Lobos or even Garrapata which are really not too far from Monterey.

It partly depends on what you like to see. The scenery is pretty great in all these places.

Derek

Old 04-23-2015, 04:51 PM

781 posts, read 744,190 times
There is a cute little spot with a water view by the Ghirardelli ice cream shop, it has a nice view of the water. It's right next door to the Pebble Beach shop and very close to the aquarium.

Have you been over to Carmel? The Carmel City Beach is AMAZING, as long as you like dogs.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:05 PM

47 posts, read 135,649 times
Go up to Compagnos and get sandwiches to go. Come back the 'row and sit in the park at the bottom of Prescott and people watch.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
"Play Misty for me" shows some of the local spots around.....

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Play+Misty+for+me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArG4Qb9ROEs

Old 04-30-2015, 09:45 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
What did you wind up doing?

I saw this too late to offer my suggestions, but for next time, I was gonna say, check out the evening scene at Sly McFly's, they usually have live music on Fri/Sat, and a lively crowd of young-ish singles (often a lot of 30 somethings) on the dance floor.

But for lunch, there is a nice actual sit down restaurant inside the aquarium itself - not the cafe...right next to/behind that, is their real restaurant, and the food is delicious.

And if you wanted to eat seafood for dinner too, lots of good places - like Fish Hopper (try the sand dabs), Domenico's on the Wharf (my favorite). Also, the restaurant in the Plaza hotel isn't bad. Sardine Factory as someone mentioned (although I'd feel weird eating solo there, its kind of a "fancy" date place with mostly couples and large groups). If you're after steak, its a good place to be though. Better than The Chart House (which I feel is over-rated).

Also, if you do manage to get back there with a date...take her to Ghiradelli after dinner to share a split...very popular thing to do.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,197,275 times
For lunch I would consider A Taste of Monterey, which now offers a very good lunch menu. (Prior to that it had been just wine, cheese, and crackers). It is a very relaxed, quiet place with all of its tables offering great views of Monterey Bay from its large windows. It would be a great choice to read a book while viewing the waterfront. I went there with a friend visiting from Sacramento not long ago and we both liked the food. Of course the wines are also good. They have a small gift store, too. It is just a short walk from the Aquarium.

www.atasteofmonterey.com.

If you find yourself craving some Mexican food in the evening, Peppers Mexicali Cafe in nearby Pacific Grove is a very good choice. They are closed on Tuesday. The other dinner recommendations were very good IMO, too.

www.peppersmexicalicafe.com.

Enjoy!

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-04-2015 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County