Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:52 PM

81 posts, read 158,715 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting the Bay Area this week and driving down with the family to designated stops along the way back to Socal. Our time is a bit crunched and we have time to spend a day or so at the Boardwalk or the Aquarium before driving down to San Simeon (before dark). My kids are 11 and 9.

Perhaps we are trying to do too much but we'd like to get to (the aquarium or boardwalk) early and be there for five or six hours and then leave to San Simeon. The day would be a Friday. Is five or six hours around the aquarium too much? I suppose I wouldn't mind heading down to San Simeon earlier. Would that not be enough time at the boardwalk?

In terms of me, I am thinking the boardwalk would be more fun but the kids and wife seem to be fascinated by the aquarium; I can't see myself spending that much time at the aquarium. Of course, my kids aren't exactly the dare devil type.

Also, we could change our plans slightly if needed. For instance, we could spend the night in Monterey or Santa Cruz and then drive toward San Simeon in the morning. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 08:48 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Do you guys like the outdoors much or are you more into amusement park attraction type stuff?

I would plan to do the aquarium for part of the day. Then drive down the coast and 'see' Big Sur as opposed to flying right through/past it to San Simeon. You weren't clear if you planned to take the coast hwy or 101. That coast drive is one of the top scenic wonders of the state. There is plenty to take in on the way to San Simeon after the aquarium.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:12 AM

81 posts, read 158,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Do you guys like the outdoors much or are you more into amusement park attraction type stuff?

I would plan to do the aquarium for part of the day. Then drive down the coast and 'see' Big Sur as opposed to flying right through/past it to San Simeon. You weren't clear if you planned to take the coast hwy or 101. That coast drive is one of the top scenic wonders of the state. There is plenty to take in on the way to San Simeon after the aquarium.
Thank you. The plan would be to take the coast down to San Simeon. I realize some would say we don't do it justice by just "driving it" but at this point, I still would like to see the coast. And it might make sense to get to the aquarium for the half day then drive, giving us more sunlight and time.

As for my kids, they are more the video game type. We do like to get out and walk as much as we can. I think they would enjoy either the aquarium or the boardwalk.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:58 PM

47 posts, read 133,465 times
The aquarium gets my vote.

The nearby mirror maze might be a good side visit for a break from nature. Monterey Mirror Maze | Monterey's One & Only Mirror Maze

Old 06-16-2015, 09:01 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,567,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresrr View Post
Thank you. The plan would be to take the coast down to San Simeon. I realize some would say we don't do it justice by just "driving it" but at this point, I still would like to see the coast. And it might make sense to get to the aquarium for the half day then drive, giving us more sunlight and time.

As for my kids, they are more the video game type. We do like to get out and walk as much as we can. I think they would enjoy either the aquarium or the boardwalk.
I vote for the aquarium over the boardwalk also. You can do cheesy rides like that anywhere, better actually in most places. The Monterey aquarium, by contrast, is one of the best aquariums to see. It also provides a better sense of what the Monterey Bay is actually about.

Even if doing a drive-by through Big Sur, make sure and take the time to stop at McWay Falls. It's easy to view from Hwy 1 after a short walk. .:. Hiking in Big Sur - McWay Waterfall Trail .:.

In addition, there are plenty of great pull over spots along the way like Bixby Bridge, Hurrican Point, elephant seals north of Hearst Castle, etc...

Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,253,997 times
Definitely do the aquarium. You can walk from the aquarium to the boardwalk and the beach. Between all three, you can easily kill that much time.

Just FYI, don't eat at El Torito's, even though the view is great and it's right downtown. The food is the most consistently bad food with a great view, I've ever experienced. And I'm not fussy.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:10 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,722,633 times
Your kids may like the boardwalk better but as a family, i recommend the aquarium. It's a really good one. And then after, just walking around Monterery / Pacific Grove will be very enjoyable.
The scene in Santa Cruz (down-town, boardwalk, etc.) is so hectic, chaotic, and at times disturbing that you'll most likely leave feeling stressed and eager to get out of dodge quickly .... which isn't possible!
The traffic on summer weekends here is insane. And i just read that you'll be visiting on Friday. You do not want to be on HWY 1 going south anytime after 3 pm on weekdays. Especially on a Friday!
And i wouldn't recommend spending the night in S.C.. Generally speaking the accommodations aren't great and they are way over priced for what they are and where they are. If you try to go cheap you may have meth heads on one side of your room and hooker hanky panky on the other. I'm kidding (not).
If i were you, i'd arrive in Monterey in the morning and spend time at the aquarium and then hang around Pacific Grove for a bit (get some ice cream, etc.) and then head south by early afternoon giving yourself some time in Big Sur (lunch at Nepenthe over looking the ocean .... heavenly) before leaving for San Simeon. Big Sur is beautiful and magical. And having lunch or a drink at Nepenthe (or Cafe Kivah just below it) is a really nice way to experience Big Surs' unique vibe.

Happy trails.

Nepenthe Restaurant, Big Sur, California

Old 06-19-2015, 10:15 AM

75 posts, read 151,551 times
Boardwalk -- historic, well-maintained and great family fun. San Simeon is going to be rather sedate for kids, so the combination will make for a nice contrast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County