Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 68,442 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have a promising job opportunity in Salinas, CA and was wondering in terms of safety, quality of life, and weather, which are the best places to live of the surrounding areas: Monterey, Pacific Grove, Santa Cruz, or Carmel? I've heard that Salinas isn't the safest/greatest place to live - is this true?

Also what's the difference b/t Carmel, Carmel-by-the-Sea, and Carmel Valley? I don't mind a 30 - 40 minute commute. Where is a good place to find a list of nice rentals? Moving from Marin County in Northern Cal, which I love so looking for something comparable or better if possible.

Much Thanks!

Last edited by troupermca; 02-05-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
You're close enough to make a day trip there to scope it out for yourself. I tell folks to hang out in a local grocery store for a bit to get the character of the characters in a neighborhood after you narrow it down a bit.

Carmel by the Sea is the official name of the town, Carmel is the familiar name of the area and the Carmel Valley is about 5 miles inland from the Village.

Map of Carmel Valley, CA by MapQuest

Old 02-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Hearing from folks who have lived or currently live in the area would provide much more reliable info than a day trip, which would only give a surface-level indication - so just thought I'd inquire. . .

Old 02-10-2008, 10:23 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times
If you want to live closer to Salinas, you might find a house to rent near Toro Regional Park. That seems like a safe neighborhood. Pacific Grove, Carmel, Monterey are great places to live and safe. Seaside has a dicier feel to it. Costs are going to be very high in the area, so don't be too shocked.
You might even try San Juan Bautista for living. That's a nice little town not too far from Salinas.
My choices, if price were no object, would be downtown Monterey or Pacific Grove.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies; always nice to hear from folks who have lived in the area

Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,045 times
I agree with Snort.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the replies! Pacific Grove seems like a nice place; I will check it out. If you had to choose Monterey v Carmel/Carmel Valley which would you choose and why?

They all seem like such great places to live! . . .

Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM

. . .so just searched and read similar postings with regard to the Salinas v Monterey debate. I guess it was assumed that I would come across these ???? Lots of good info.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,967 times
Default Monterey Area

There are some really nice areas in Salinas. As someone mentioned earlier Torro Park is a good area and so is Las Palmas.
Creekbridge area is also a pretty decent area. It is the newer area of Salinas.
I would suggest you take a look at Salinas before you decide to make a 30 minute commute.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:43 PM

5 posts, read 32,634 times
HI everyone! My husband is getting transferred to Salinas He's in sales so he's going to be traveling from Hollister to Pebble beach maybe even further were not to sure yet but the main office is in Salinas but we do know for sure that we do not want to live in Salinas We've just heard horrible things about that place from people that live there anyways I was looking into Pacific Grove I've never been there and I was just wondering if it was a safe place to raise a family we have a son that is going to be 2 in May how is the crime there? whats the weather like? is it a family town like does the town do activities, festival's and what not how are the schools and preschools? is it a friendly town? since were going to be renting for a little while how is the rent where are the best neighborhoods to live in? does it get really foggy there? so if anyone could tell me a little about pacific grove I would really apperciate it thanks so much =]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County