U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 09:22 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,130,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I don't know what this is supposed to mean. There definitely are cabins in the mountain towns, including rustic, 1-br. jobs, and there are cottages even in SC proper, that are left over from the days when parts of SC were full of orchards and small farms. I've rented one. But enough people have posted about more affordable options being outside of town, up in the hills, that I don't need to go into that. It depends on how flexible you are with location, OP. There's bus service up there, if that helps.
Well, i've lived 'round these parts for a long, long time and, more often than not, when a rental is advertised as a "cabin" or "cottage" it's not. I was just making a little (and apparently too cryptic) comment on the dreary rental scene in the county. Those two (often) misnomers are indicative of a housing paradigm in the county that rather s****.
I have two complaints re; S.C. county 1) too many people and 2) horrible and over-priced rentals.

Re; the o.p. ... with a 75K a year salary, the issue is kinda irrelevant. He'll do just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:38 PM

964 posts, read 697,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Well, i've lived 'round these parts for a long, long time and, more often than not, when a rental is advertised as a "cabin" or "cottage" it's not. I was just making a little (and apparently too cryptic) comment on the dreary rental scene in the county. Those two (often) misnomers are indicative of a housing paradigm in the county that rather s****.
I have two complaints re; S.C. county 1) too many people and 2) horrible and over-priced rentals.

Re; the o.p. ... with a 75K a year salary, the issue is kinda irrelevant. He'll do just fine.
Thanks for explaining. That's what I thought you were getting at. While it's true that descriptive house terms in the RE business can mean almost anything, the photos on Craigslist and other listing sites eliminate any doubt as to what one is dealing with, so it's not really an issue. On his budget, the OP can get a 1-br. apt. in town, or a 1-br. cabin/cottage, sometimes with an extra bonus space, in the mountains. He won't get more than that, though; I don't know where he's coming from and what he's used to. Some adjustment may be necessary, but at least he can get a toehold in the area, if that's his priority.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 PM

15,289 posts, read 17,694,313 times
Years ago my niece & her two son's rented/lived aboard a sailboat, moored in Santa Cruz.....

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Years ago my niece & her two son's rented/lived aboard a sailboat, moored in Santa Cruz.....
That sounds nice.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:42 PM

78,000 posts, read 69,929,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
That's what Tulemutt does, mainly in SF Bay, where he seems to have moorages all around the Bay, he just hoists a sail for a change of scenery. And I think he maintains a boat in San Diego, and one in Puget Sound, as well. Nice retirement.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:41 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,863,234 times
What I would do is rent in SC at first, get a feel of the various little cities and towns, then decide where you'd like to stay longer. I agree SC can get very crowded. I took a day trip up to SC last year during memorial day weekend to go see the downtown, boardwalk, and we drive thru capitola. It gets pretty busy. Watsonville seemed less busy, but also further away.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What I would do is rent in SC at first, get a feel of the various little cities and towns, then decide where you'd like to stay longer. I agree SC can get very crowded. I took a day trip up to SC last year during memorial day weekend to go see the downtown, boardwalk, and we drive thru capitola. It gets pretty busy. Watsonville seemed less busy, but also further away.
Well, if you got downtown and to the boardwalk and to "downtown" Capitola on memorial day weekend, there are going to be a lots and lots of people. That's not Santa Cruz. Although i think it's the Santa Cruz that many people visit and then think they've seen the town and go on to s*** all over it (i'm not saying you're doing that). Anyway, if that's all i saw / knew of S.C. i wouldn't be too impressed either. Well, Capitola is cute and quaint but whatever.
And there are many unpopulated areas in the county that aren't Watsonville which is actually quite populated ... only a few thousand less people in Watsonville than in S.C. and given that the o.p. has a nice little yearly salary, Watsonville probably won't be on his list of S.C. county communities to find housing in. Not to diss Watsonville which i actually like but there are a number of reasons not to live in quite a few parts of it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:24 PM

15,289 posts, read 17,694,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
That sounds nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what Tulemutt does, mainly in SF Bay, where he seems to have moorages all around the Bay, he just hoists a sail for a change of scenery. And I think he maintains a boat in San Diego, and one in Puget Sound, as well. Nice retirement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
At one point in time, i was planning to buy a used houseboat & live on "The Delta". I was looking at a used 20 footer they wanted 18k for, moored out on the end of 8mile road.....

Old 03-01-2016, 08:28 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,154,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottOKC View Post
I have a solid opportunity to move to Santa Cruz and manage an office for an aviation entrepreneur. $75,000/yr with great benefit package and able to invest. I'm single and spend free time free outdoors. Can I afford cost of living in that area?
Example from below link. You didn't say what you earn but if you earned $75G in Oklahoma city you'll need $96 in Sanata Cruz. Beautiful area go for it.
Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com

Old 03-06-2016, 11:41 AM

378 posts, read 356,534 times
If you do find an affordable rental in SC, there's a good chance it might not be up to code and possibly illegally built. I know that one of the city council members might be looking for a new tenant soon for his illegal shed he rents out for a mere $700 per month.

But right now the recent attention he's brought might have some of those landlords that rent out illegal units taking a second thought.....NOT!

Good luck!

Santa Cruz city councilman Posner in hot seat | Local News - KSBW Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or