U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:35 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,055,370 times

Advertisements

Buyers and Sellers both expect a cut when no Real Estate Brokerage is involved.

I have worked with two brokers over the years and worth every penny because they brought me deals I otherwise would not have known about.

That said I have also bought and sold without brokerage.

A Title Company can cross the T's and dot the I's and provide Escrow to insure money is property disbursed and clear title provided.

The last home I sold was offered with a 2.5% commission to a buyer's agent... should have heard the backlash on that... well it worked and set a new neighborhood record... home was spotless and after all the reports, termite, roof, chimney and home inspection... the combined repairs were under $400... one weatherstrip and updating the code approved earthquake strapping to the latest code and extending the copper PTRV a foot...

I could have quibbled because the water heater was permitted and installed to code at that time... $400 on a $840,000 sale with a 2.5% commission worked for me.

Even got professional Open House Signs and listed it in the paper and online and did my own open houses... two Saturdays and sold... signs were borrowed and newspaper ran $125
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 07:40 AM

215 posts, read 473,368 times
I've also noticed a few homes being Auctioned/Foreclosures, that seems like a great way to go if only I understood how that all works!
I'd consider selling our house here myself, it's in a popular location, with a shortage of homes, so don't see why not. Realtors charge so much, for what! In England, where I am from originally, seller pays about 1.5% to the agent selling, and there are no buyers agents. Just one agent selling, that's it. They aren't as 'qualified' as here, but it still works..although the whole process seems to take longer.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:11 AM

26,579 posts, read 52,055,370 times
Commissions are Negotiable.

Sometimes that backfires...

If I get my price I pay the commission.

If I get less... I have no compunction asking the Realtors to take a haircut too.

Here the prices are typically overbid... so a good Realtor can really maximize the selling price and negotiations... often more than covering the commission.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:49 AM

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Scotts-Val...6/home/2361854

anyone know this location???

Old 04-06-2016, 08:55 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,130,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Yes. I'll get back to you tomorrow when i have better internet connection.
If it's too close to the road (since it's right on mt. hermon rd.) you may not be pleased.
Were you asking in reference to .... to what? The jet noise? Is it this thread that we were discussing that? You used to live in London near the airport right under the flight path? I've got such bad connection it would take forever to pull up the thread.
So, like i said, i'll get back to this thread tomorrow.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I have to go up to Felton next week and so i'll be driving right by and will check it out for you if you want.
It's a main drag so unless it's quite set back from the road it's not an ideal location. I can't tell by the map where it is exactly relative to the mall(s) area and the freeway. It is however very close to hwy17. That would be a good thing if you or your husband will be commuting to San Jose, etc.. That's not a good thing if it's so close to the freeway regarding traffic noise and pollution.
If it seems unusually inexpensive those are probably a couple of the reasons .... too close to the freeway and to the mall area, etc..
And i don't know what the jet noise is like in that area.
Let me know if you want me to drive by the address. Send me a private message if you want. I don't mind at all as, like i said, i'll be going right by there.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM

378 posts, read 356,370 times
Quote:
My late grandfather worked at the sand quarry near there. We used to marvel at the humps and cracks in the road on the way in due to the earthquake fault movement.

Zayante fault line runs through that area FYI. I would be more concerned with possible septic and or water well issues related to that vs an actual earthquake.

Just saying!

http://www.scottsvalley.org/download...nd%20Soils.pdf

http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1997/of97-489/scruzmap.pdf

Old 04-09-2016, 02:11 PM

thanks everyone, it's very interesting to hear from you all!
SO, that particular home for sale, Scotts Valley, I think does have a lot of road noise from what I've gathered. It's funny, I asked the realtor about plane noise, and he acted like he didn't know why I'd be asking
I've also been looking in to Boulder Creek, it seems to suit our budget and preference for ideally at least half an acre or more. I went there about 25 years ago, and just remember the Redwoods!
There is a really cool looking property but the main house is likely too small for us, but it would have an extra cottage for my mum and even a rental or two. Here is a link in case any of you remember it was the old trout farm I believe, built back in the '20's! https://www.redfin.com/CA/Boulder-Cr...6/home/2384277
There are actually a few multi family properties in that area, so I'd be curious to check Boulder Creek out more. Although the schools seem lower rated, but it does have a bus line that we'd need, and I don't think 30 mins or so to the ocean would be too big of a deal if the prices are more realistic for us.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:09 PM

It looks sweet. Is that creek on the actual property i wonder? If so, nice!
"Splashed with sunshine" means it will be dark in the winter months. How dark is difficult to say by looking at the photos.
I've lived in the redwoods for years. It's a pleasure in the summer months when it's hot. The redwoods are a refuge when the temps are high. The lack of lots of sun is great.
But when the sun gets lower and lower and is ultimately entirely blocked by the redwoods (it varies depending on the property but where i live we have 4 months with virtually no sun on the land!) and it's rainy and wet and temps are in the 40's it can be really awful.
I don't want to be discouraging but just be aware of that.
And 30 minutes to the coast? Well, i'm not sure exactly where in Boulder Creek that property is but it'll probably take longer than 30 minutes to get to Santa Cruz even when there's no traffic. And if there's traffic either on 9 or hwy1 forget the 30 minutes! During commuter times (say 7:30 - 9:00 am and 3 - 6 or so p.m.) the entire county (side roads too) becomes jammed to lesser and greater degrees.
I wouldn't buy a property until you live in the area for awhile and really get a sense of the scene. My advice (strong advice) is to rent for a year and get to know the entire county. Seriously.
I love S.C. county but it's a whacky and chaotic place and to buy before knowing the area is not a smart thing to do imo.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:52 AM

Hi, it is on the creek, with a bridge from the property over the creek to hikes. That's our kind of budget and a built in income even better
We hope to visit the area soon and others in and around SC.....
that property is about half mile north of the small Boulder Creek village/school.
Here in the Asheville mountains we are in a very sunny spot and enjoy that, although I do not enjoy the humidity of the summer! It can get cold here with a day or two of snow and cold nights, but it's often sunny still. But summer is humid and mosquitoes a pain.
I just don't like being so far from anything else, North Carolina as a state isn't my kind of place.... and we are 4 hours to the ocean and hours from a city and those cities don't interest me.
Asheville is beautiful, liberal, fun, easy, but in it's own liberal bubble. They call it an island of blue in a sea of red......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or