U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:52 PM

17,349 posts, read 21,251,090 times

Advertisements

Maybe the weather has changed......My mom happily lived in Marina about 45 years. She liked the cooler weather. Many days when i visited her there was some sunshine & warmth. She lived on a side street off the back end of Reindollar Ave, close to the Fort Ord fence. Not too far from the old Fritzsche Airfield boundary.

The Marina beach area was often foggy. My stepdad used to hang glide there........Sometimes he would hang glide off the bluffs close to the Salinas River.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 09:48 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,564,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
https://weather.com/

For all anyone needs to know about weather just about anytime anywhere...
NOAA's weather site is, imo, the very best. There's the detailed report and then a more nuanced / specific report if you click on "Forecast Discussion" at the bottom of the page under "Additional Forecasts and Information". The forecast discussion is particularly helpful in our area (with so many micro-climates and variations in a relatively small area) and hones in on / makes distinctions re; various parts of both Monterey and S.F. bay area.

National Weather Service

Old 09-14-2016, 12:02 PM

342 posts, read 378,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Maybe the weather has changed......My mom happily lived in Marina about 45 years. She liked the cooler weather. Many days when i visited her there was some sunshine & warmth. She lived on a side street off the back end of Reindollar Ave, close to the Fort Ord fence. Not too far from the old Fritzsche Airfield boundary.

The Marina beach area was often foggy. My stepdad used to hang glide there........Sometimes he would hang glide off the bluffs close to the Salinas River.
Yup, I used to work in an office at Fritzsche and living in Preston Park (the nearest housing area to Reservation/Imjin).

Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM

26,322 posts, read 7,432,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Definitely plenty of open space left and that's where i'm bound. It's just a drag to have to leave a place you love because there are simply too many people.
Zero population growth is .
Let's take care of the millions of parentless children in this world instead of fulfilling an egotistical and unchecked instinctual need to reproduce. Help the children and help the world.
Speaking of Aptos and changes, we've been watching this little project unfold since before the Antique store was closed. Some would consider this a good thing, but obviously for those who don't want change, not so much...

Crews move Hihn apple barn, marking milestone in Aptos Village Project

I wonder how the Ohlone feel about all this change...

"The name Aptos is Ohlone, meaning "the people". Aptos was traditionally inhabited by the Ohlone Awaswas people. The name is one of only three native words that have survived (in Hispanicized form) as place names in Santa Cruz County (the others are Soquel and Zayante)."

Old 09-23-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Aptos and changes, we've been watching this little project unfold since before the Antique store was closed. Some would consider this a good thing, but obviously for those who don't want change, not so much...

Crews move Hihn apple barn, marking milestone in Aptos Village Project

I wonder how the Ohlone feel about all this change...

"The name Aptos is Ohlone, meaning "the people". Aptos was traditionally inhabited by the Ohlone Awaswas people. The name is one of only three native words that have survived (in Hispanicized form) as place names in Santa Cruz County (the others are Soquel and Zayante)."
It's the final nail in the coffin for Aptos and screw New Leaf. I've been shopping at N.L. for years and still do (although i'm a Staff of Lifer for the most part) but since a number of New Leafs were bought out by some Portland Co. some years back they're not on my "favorite things" list. The one on 41st lost its "soul" when Whole Foods ie; corporate parasite came to town and N.L. decided to be more like them and slicked the store up. Blech.
And Aptos is already unbearable re; traffic. When the new center is open for business it's going to truly suck!
Santa Cruz has sold out and has lost its soul ... almost. Just give it a few more years and it will be totally yuck! Thanks Silicon Valley. Thanks dominant culture. Thanks all you pigs and your piggy need to consume, consume, consume, buy, buy, buy, use, use use. Way to go.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
It's the final nail in the coffin for Aptos and screw New Leaf. I've been shopping at N.L. for years and still do (although i'm a Staff of Lifer for the most part) but since a number of New Leafs were bought out by some Portland Co. some years back they're not on my "favorite things" list. The one on 41st lost its "soul" when Whole Foods ie; corporate parasite came to town and N.L. decided to be more like them and slicked the store up. Blech.
And Aptos is already unbearable re; traffic. When the new center is open for business it's going to truly suck!
Santa Cruz has sold out and has lost its soul ... almost. Just give it a few more years and it will be totally yuck! Thanks Silicon Valley. Thanks dominant culture. Thanks all you pigs and your piggy need to consume, consume, consume, buy, buy, buy, use, use use. Way to go.
Thanks for another good dose of depression, but I can't say I don't know and in some cases even share your sentiments...

However, again having grown up in SoCal, I am again reminded that "everything is relative," and much you go on about is nothing compared to what I left in SoCal to get away from here in the Bay Area, ultimately here in Santa Cruz. Vast citrus orchards and open space turned to housing developments, strip malls, mega malls and freeways where no one gets anywhere anytime soon. I've already gone on about the positives here that, for me anyway, far outweigh the negatives, and I well understand the feelings about corporate entities vs the "mom and pops," but ultimately these companies vie for consumer dollars that ultimately determines who stays and who goes.

My favorite cafe is Caffe Strada in Berkeley, an independent, and while enjoying many a coffee there, I too felt strongly about holding back the likes of what I left in L.A., but when it comes to knowing you will get a good cup of coffee just about anywhere, Starbucks is best, our opinion anyway, and we love our coffee...

As to the right or wrong about any of that, I suspect the answer is out there somewhere "blowing in the wind."

What can be done about what some folks hate that others love? Or too many people in general, I really don't know, but I do know the Bay Area counties have done a good deal better than SoCal counties, and it shows!

As for who is guilty and/or innocent, who are the bad guys or the good guys, part of the problem or part of the answer, I wonder what the Ohlone would say about any of us regardless our opinions about markets and cars and traffic...

Old 09-25-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks for another good dose of depression, but I can't say I don't know and in some cases even share your sentiments...

However, again having grown up in SoCal, I am again reminded that "everything is relative," and much you go on about is nothing compared to what I left in SoCal to get away from here in the Bay Area, ultimately here in Santa Cruz. Vast citrus orchards and open space turned to housing developments, strip malls, mega malls and freeways where no one gets anywhere anytime soon. I've already gone on about the positives here that, for me anyway, far outweigh the negatives, and I well understand the feelings about corporate entities vs the "mom and pops," but ultimately these companies vie for consumer dollars that ultimately determines who stays and who goes.

My favorite cafe is Caffe Strada in Berkeley, an independent, and while enjoying many a coffee there, I too felt strongly about holding back the likes of what I left in L.A., but when it comes to knowing you will get a good cup of coffee just about anywhere, Starbucks is best, our opinion anyway, and we love our coffee...

As to the right or wrong about any of that, I suspect the answer is out there somewhere "blowing in the wind."

What can be done about what some folks hate that others love? Or too many people in general, I really don't know, but I do know the Bay Area counties have done a good deal better than SoCal counties, and it shows!

As for who is guilty and/or innocent, who are the bad guys or the good guys, part of the problem or part of the answer, I wonder what the Ohlone would say about any of us regardless our opinions about markets and cars and traffic...
Not long ago 41st was all orchards. Just sayin'.
I don't mean to be a downer but i can't sugar coat what is happening. It doesn't mean that i'm out in the world trying to control, convert, etc. other people. But i can only call a spade a spade.
I'm glad you got out of L.A. and are happy to be here but just 'cause it's not as bad as L.A. doesn't excuse what's going on. And from my perspective, what's going on in S.C. county sucks! Which is not to say that i don't appreciate the good here. Of course i do. I've said that a number of times. But i'm appalled by a particular ilk of people who are now in this area and who are changing it for the worse.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I don't mean to be a downer but i can't sugar coat what is happening. It doesn't mean that i'm out in the world trying to control, convert, etc. other people. But i can only call a spade a spade.
I'm glad you got out of L.A. and are happy to be here but just 'cause it's not as bad as L.A. doesn't excuse what's going on. And from my perspective, what's going on in S.C. county sucks! Which is not to say that i don't appreciate the good here. Of course i do. I've said that a number of times. But i'm appalled by a particular ilk of people who are now in this area and who are changing it for the worse.
Agreed. I was just trying to point out the age old adage that everything is relative (and why I ask what the Ohlone might say about the same source of heartburn, before 41st even existed, about you and your ilk).

Hard for any of us to claim innocence when it comes to being a part of change, for better or worse, according to those here before us.

Either way, the proverbial question always seems to be whether "the glass is half empty or half full."

Change is inevitable and no doubt neither of us thinks otherwise, but you simply can't live in an area that promotes rather than prohibits new development and expect other than the inevitable over time. Read the history of this whole area along the Monterey Bay, and we're mostly all here because of commerce and development that ultimately lead to our migration here. Then what? We got ours and now the march of time and change should stop?

If you want otherwise, you really picked the wrong place to live in the first place. I also mention L.A., because here the effort to protect open space has been far more successful such that there are all the large parks and protected spaces that we both enjoy, and fortunately, the ocean remains open space the likes of which most areas simply cannot enjoy like we do here.

I seriously doubt you actually know this "ilk of people" you keep complaining about. We don't usually talk to strangers enough to really know their story, but the people I tend to encounter around here are generally very friendly, whether driving a Tesla or a VW bus. On the other hand, there are enough jerks and dirt bags to note as well, and those "ilks of people" don't seem all that much a function of whether they are foreign or domestic.

I'm inclined to call a spade a spade as well, pragmatic, practical while trying to be optimistic as well, reasonable. I call it managing expectations and/or emotions. I don't much like waiting in line anywhere, but I am thankful for all the places I can still go around here where that sense of peace and open space can very easily be had. I've never looked to the market for that sort of thing, but having been to Europe where daily life typically involves a daily visit to the very small local "mom and pop" market, I don't know what they would say about the likes of our grocery stores, any of them, but again..., all a matter of perspective I think.

One man's Heaven is another man's Hell, and also as I have often said over the years, "Heaven and Hell are both right here on Earth."

Lots of good luck wishes to all of us accordingly...

Old 09-26-2016, 11:15 AM

473 posts, read 551,745 times
Quote:
I used to feed cows in the pastures along 41st ave on my way to school. Modern convenience in the form of shopping stores and malls are nice on one hand, very sad on the other. I miss all of the open space we once had. Now days it's hard to tell the difference between Santa Cruz and San Jose. ..ugh!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Agreed. I was just trying to point out the age old adage that everything is relative (and why I ask what the Ohlone might say about the same source of heartburn, before 41st even existed, about you and your ilk).

Hard for any of us to claim innocence when it comes to being a part of change, for better or worse, according to those here before us.

Either way, the proverbial question always seems to be whether "the glass is half empty or half full."

Change is inevitable and no doubt neither of us thinks otherwise, but you simply can't live in an area that promotes rather than prohibits new development and expect other than the inevitable over time. Read the history of this whole area along the Monterey Bay, and we're mostly all here because of commerce and development that ultimately lead to our migration here. Then what? We got ours and now the march of time and change should stop?

If you want otherwise, you really picked the wrong place to live in the first place. I also mention L.A., because here the effort to protect open space has been far more successful such that there are all the large parks and protected spaces that we both enjoy, and fortunately, the ocean remains open space the likes of which most areas simply cannot enjoy like we do here.

I seriously doubt you actually know this "ilk of people" you keep complaining about. We don't usually talk to strangers enough to really know their story, but the people I tend to encounter around here are generally very friendly, whether driving a Tesla or a VW bus. On the other hand, there are enough jerks and dirt bags to note as well, and those "ilks of people" don't seem all that much a function of whether they are foreign or domestic.

I'm inclined to call a spade a spade as well, pragmatic, practical while trying to be optimistic as well, reasonable. I call it managing expectations and/or emotions. I don't much like waiting in line anywhere, but I am thankful for all the places I can still go around here where that sense of peace and open space can very easily be had. I've never looked to the market for that sort of thing, but having been to Europe where daily life typically involves a daily visit to the very small local "mom and pop" market, I don't know what they would say about the likes of our grocery stores, any of them, but again..., all a matter of perspective I think.

One man's Heaven is another man's Hell, and also as I have often said over the years, "Heaven and Hell are both right here on Earth."

Lots of good luck wishes to all of us accordingly...
The U.S. is built on a rotten foundation of genocide and slavery. That's all i have to say about that.

And i didn't choose the wrong place because when i moved to S.C. county it was a very different culture and who knew that this would happen.

Your intellect is good at rationalizing. Can't argue with the rationale ... very sane. But you make excuses for what, i as an idealist, can't o.k..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County