U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 AM

12,293 posts, read 3,156,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
A happy resident of South Salinas who has witnessed 0 gang crime.
Either you don't get out of the house much or you are a lucky person, or maybe even with the high crime rate, the 1 in 24 chance of being a victim is still pretty remote, but if you follow the news any...

Most years in Salinas, all or nearly all murders are gang related.

But in setting a new record, 2015 has been a year of outliers. While gang rivalries and vendettas are likely responsible for more than half of this year’s homicides, a significant percentage of the violence appears to be the kind cities everywhere else deal with most of the time — the kinds of killings common everywhere but Salinas.

What’s behind the Salinas homicide rate? – The Mercury News

The crime rate in Salinas is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 41 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Salinas is 1 in 24. Based on FBI crime data, Salinas is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to California, Salinas has a crime rate that is higher than 90% of the state's cities and towns of all sizes.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not ok

Not that we can escape crime here in Santa Cruz either (where I too have yet to witness any crime myself).

Fingers crossed I too remain as lucky...

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 02:17 PM

16 posts, read 12,555 times
Hi to all those who have been part of this thread especially those
who have responded to my queries from weeks ago.
Thanks for all of the info posted

I left NYC Metro at 4AM Oct 21 with a fully packed Honda CRV
and 12 year old cat and a sister sharing the passenger side
front seat.

All in all the drive went pretty good we arrived in Monterey
a week later.

The November weather has been great as forecast by posters
and finding housing extremely tough also as stated.

So, no mis-information on the Monterey forum thus far

I have finally been able to rent a studio in an apt complex
in Monterey ....so few places will accept kitties ... will have spent
5 weeks in motels ...the last 4 in Marina which is also nice

The beauty of the area is striking especially the drive from Monterey
to Big Sur in contrast with the eastern view of the shopping centers
from Monterey to Marina ....A huge challenge to preserve the natural
settings yet meet the demands(housing,water,electric,sewage,parking)
of a growing population.

Hopefully breakthroughs in science and technology will occur
and start the process of reversing the urban/suburban sprawl
that is so ugly.

Thanks again for all the previous responses,
very informative

Old 11-27-2016, 03:01 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,130,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qZmtrybndZq View Post
Hi to all those who have been part of this thread especially those
who have responded to my queries from weeks ago.
Thanks for all of the info posted

I left NYC Metro at 4AM Oct 21 with a fully packed Honda CRV
and 12 year old cat and a sister sharing the passenger side
front seat.

All in all the drive went pretty good we arrived in Monterey
a week later.

The November weather has been great as forecast by posters
and finding housing extremely tough also as stated.

So, no mis-information on the Monterey forum thus far

I have finally been able to rent a studio in an apt complex
in Monterey ....so few places will accept kitties ... will have spent
5 weeks in motels ...the last 4 in Marina which is also nice

The beauty of the area is striking especially the drive from Monterey
to Big Sur in contrast with the eastern view of the shopping centers
from Monterey to Marina ....A huge challenge to preserve the natural
settings yet meet the demands(housing,water,electric,sewage,parking)
of a growing population.

Hopefully breakthroughs in science and technology will occur
and start the process of reversing the urban/suburban sprawl
that is so ugly.

Thanks again for all the previous responses,
very informative
Welcome to the Monterey Bay area.
I don't think that "breakthroughs in science and technology" will be what reverses such issues and "saves us".
This is where the human Heart, good will, spiritual attunement, refined intelligence and care for the earth and all of its inhabitants are desperately needed. If technology doesn't serve that then it's basically good for nothing. And very destructive. That destruction caused by the high tech paradigm and all of the sheeple who have blindly jumped on the band-wagon of social media b.s. is already quite apparent.
And btw and not to be snarky to you but Silicon Valley is the reason that Santa Cruz county is now basically ruined. Still beautiful but over-populated with money mongers who are pricing out those of us who love the area and just want to live simply. There's been a slow trickle over the years of people who want to work and make big bucks in the tech industry but who want to have their cake and eat it too. They have so over-populated this county and brought with them a rat race mentality that never existed here before. It's a shame.
Just sayin'.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Welcome to the Monterey Bay area.
I don't think that "breakthroughs in science and technology" will be what reverses such issues and "saves us".
This is where the human Heart, good will, spiritual attunement, refined intelligence and care for the earth and all of its inhabitants are desperately needed. If technology doesn't serve that then it's basically good for nothing. And very destructive. That destruction caused by the high tech paradigm and all of the sheeple who have blindly jumped on the band-wagon of social media b.s. is already quite apparent.
And btw and not to be snarky to you but Silicon Valley is the reason that Santa Cruz county is now basically ruined. Still beautiful but over-populated with money mongers who are pricing out those of us who love the area and just want to live simply. There's been a slow trickle over the years of people who want to work and make big bucks in the tech industry but who want to have their cake and eat it too. They have so over-populated this county and brought with them a rat race mentality that never existed here before. It's a shame.
Just sayin'.
Yes welcome, or wasn't that part of the problem? All these new comers...

Agreed as to what is "desperately needed," along with more people who lean toward peace and harmony rather than violence and greed, but that's a problem for all us humans going back a long time, here and everywhere. Ideally we keep making progress, applying what good we can get out of technology along with what good we can do individually, by example.

Thought this article was awfully "close to home" when it comes to these platitudes.

“I just love Santa Cruz,” said Kawasaki, applauded by 400-plus people who picked the Santa Cruz New Tech MeetUp hosted by Hotel Paradox Wednesday night instead of the World Series finale. “I would go surfing every day.”

Kawasaki, 62, the former Apple evangelist-turned author, can’t retire yet. He’s got four children, two in private school, one in college and hefty tuition bills.

Last month, he bought a house in Pleasure Point, a location recommended by his real estate agent, Terri Mayall of Sereno Group.

Kawasaki wants to sell his five-bedroom house in Pajaro Dunes where he wrote 13 books.

“Second, we need an Apple store. Third we need a bike path that goes from the Eastside to the Westside … Seems like you could go where the train used to.”

Silicon Valley

Again, everything is relative, right? Right or wrong..., one of our problems when it comes to growing population is that our state of California has some significant population growth, ergo our county as well. Not sure what you do about that, but when you look at how Santa Cruz country has done compared to the others, Santa Cruz country has not grown at the rate that most others have in California. There are more than a few counties that have actually become less populated over time, also for consideration for those where less people means more happiness. Personally, I love Lassen County as well!

California Population Growth Rate County Rank

PS: This forum, C-D, is social media.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes welcome, or wasn't that part of the problem? All these new comers...

Agreed as to what is "desperately needed," along with more people who lean toward peace and harmony rather than violence and greed, but that's a problem for all us humans going back a long time, here and everywhere. Ideally we keep making progress, applying what good we can get out of technology along with what good we can do individually, by example.

Thought this article was awfully "close to home" when it comes to these platitudes.

“I just love Santa Cruz,” said Kawasaki, applauded by 400-plus people who picked the Santa Cruz New Tech MeetUp hosted by Hotel Paradox Wednesday night instead of the World Series finale. “I would go surfing every day.”

Kawasaki, 62, the former Apple evangelist-turned author, can’t retire yet. He’s got four children, two in private school, one in college and hefty tuition bills.

Last month, he bought a house in Pleasure Point, a location recommended by his real estate agent, Terri Mayall of Sereno Group.

Kawasaki wants to sell his five-bedroom house in Pajaro Dunes where he wrote 13 books.

“Second, we need an Apple store. Third we need a bike path that goes from the Eastside to the Westside … Seems like you could go where the train used to.”

Silicon Valley

Again, everything is relative, right? Right or wrong..., one of our problems when it comes to growing population is that our state of California has some significant population growth, ergo our county as well. Not sure what you do about that, but when you look at how Santa Cruz country has done compared to the others, Santa Cruz country has not grown at the rate that most others have in California. There are more than a few counties that have actually become less populated over time, also for consideration for those where less people means more happiness. Personally, I love Lassen County as well!

California Population Growth Rate County Rank

PS: This forum, C-D, is social media.
Yes, i said "welcome" to the guy because i value politeness and kindness. I don't know the guy well enough to be rude. And he's down in Monterey County so i'm not gonna give him a hard time.
And yes, i'm aware that c-d-f is social media although it's more like social media light. And it's the extent of my involvement with something that, while i find fun at times, i find more destructive than not.
And i both appreciate your positive attitude and am weary of your "glass half full" re; what has happened to Santa Cruz county.
These Silicon Valley jerks who are now swarming like ticks in the redwoods are so obnoxious. The freeway is now jammed by 2:30 p.m. and the morning commute gets crazy by 7 and earlier at times. The side streets going south in the afternoon are now so jammed that doing anything later than 3:00 in the afternoon is a total hassle. They use Soquel Drive as an alternative route to the freeway and drive so fast that they're creating an unsafe environment for others including pedestrians. I saw a little dog get hit by a car the other day near Cabrillo College by some idiot who didn't even slow down before he hit the dog and no-one (except for me and another guy in work truck) stopped to make sure the dog was alright. S.C. county is now a bedroom community of Silicon Valley and i say f 'em. They should have stayed over on the other side of the S.C. mountains where they belong. But no ... they gotta have their cake and eat it too. So they commute up to 4 hours a day so that they can spend a relatively small amount of time in an area where, imo, they shouldn't be .... not to mention the degree to which their commute is negatively effecting the environment. What idiots ... status / money / materialistic sheeple in their stupid BMW's, et al. Baahhhhhhhh.
So there.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yes, i said "welcome" to the guy because i value politeness and kindness. I don't know the guy well enough to be rude. And he's down in Monterey County so i'm not gonna give him a hard time.
And yes, i'm aware that c-d-f is social media although it's more like social media light. And it's the extent of my involvement with something that, while i find fun at times, i find more destructive than not.
And i both appreciate your positive attitude and am weary of your "glass half full" re; what has happened to Santa Cruz county.
These Silicon Valley jerks who are now swarming like ticks in the redwoods are so obnoxious. The freeway is now jammed by 2:30 p.m. and the morning commute gets crazy by 7 and earlier at times. The side streets going south in the afternoon are now so jammed that doing anything later than 3:00 in the afternoon is a total hassle. They use Soquel Drive as an alternative route to the freeway and drive so fast that they're creating an unsafe environment for others including pedestrians. I saw a little dog get hit by a car the other day near Cabrillo College by some idiot who didn't even slow down before he hit the dog and no-one (except for me and another guy in work truck) stopped to make sure the dog was alright. S.C. county is now a bedroom community of Silicon Valley and i say f 'em. They should have stayed over on the other side of the S.C. mountains where they belong. But no ... they gotta have their cake and eat it too. So they commute up to 4 hours a day so that they can spend a relatively small amount of time in an area where, imo, they shouldn't be .... not to mention the degree to which their commute is negatively effecting the environment. What idiots ... status / money / materialistic sheeple in their stupid BMW's, et al. Baahhhhhhhh.
So there.
Sorry if the positives I have offered along the way might make anyone weary, but I'm enjoying every day here in Santa Cruz, and I feel very fortunate to be doing so. Yesterday on our daily walk along the water it seemed all were out for show; the pelicans and a good many other sea birds, an otter, dolphins and whales!

Meanwhile, all the crap about traffic and the Redwoods crawling with Silicon cockroaches and now dogs getting hit by cars never gets weary, no sir...

Funny, since I don't know how many times my wife and I (with our dog) have walked in the most beautiful of spots NSE&W of our home, marveling at how it can be we are essentially all to ourselves. Hey, but no doubt, that freeway traffic can be a drag at times! Fortunately for us, we don't need to be in that traffic at those times.

Nice being retired here...

Old 11-29-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Sorry if the positives I have offered along the way might make anyone weary, but I'm enjoying every day here in Santa Cruz, and I feel very fortunate to be doing so. Yesterday on our daily walk along the water it seemed all were out for show; the pelicans and a good many other sea birds, an otter, dolphins and whales!

Meanwhile, all the crap about traffic and the Redwoods crawling with Silicon cockroaches and now dogs getting hit by cars never gets weary, no sir...

Funny, since I don't know how many times my wife and I (with our dog) have walked in the most beautiful of spots NSE&W of our home, marveling at how it can be we are essentially all to ourselves. Hey, but no doubt, that freeway traffic can be a drag at times! Fortunately for us, we don't need to be in that traffic at those times.

Nice being retired here...
I don't need to be told how great the area is. I've been here for many years. And i still enjoy what the Monterey Bay area has to offer.
But you are sheltered from the problems sir. I imagine that your life situation does not demand that you deal with the negative effects of the new paradigm here. That's good for you and it's good you have a place to retire in that suits you / that you love.
But there are many people in this county who are being negatively impacted (in a number of ways) by the influx of people who tend to care more about "me and mine" than the community as a whole and who are rather oblivious to to the difficulties that other people are dealing with here. That's the privileged way of things.
That's all i have to say.
Peaceout.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
I don't need to be told how great the area is. I've been here for many years. And i still enjoy what the Monterey Bay area has to offer.
But you are sheltered from the problems sir. I imagine that your life situation does not demand that you deal with the negative effects of the new paradigm here. That's good for you and it's good you have a place to retire in that suits you / that you love.
But there are many people in this county who are being negatively impacted (in a number of ways) by the influx of people who tend to care more about "me and mine" than the community as a whole and who are rather oblivious to to the difficulties that other people are dealing with here. That's the privileged way of things.
That's all i have to say.
Peaceout.
Understood, and again I have lots of sympathy for people who struggle just to get through life, here and everywhere else. That's not a Santa Cruz thing...

Like you, I too don't need any lessons along those lines, because I have never lived where there were not people struggling so, one way or another, with problems of all sorts. Even during my four years in Hawaii, there were people barely getting by while at the same time there were all those people enjoying their vacations and free time in Waikiki. There too, people (the Japanese) were driving the cost of living up by buying homes for more than they cost the year before. Cost of living in Hawaii is one of the highest in the country while Hawaii ranks last in the country when it comes to education. Go figure.

I have struggled some myself to contend with all that sort of thing everywhere that I have lived. Add two kids, and those challenges are magnified exponentially, because now it's about getting your kids into good schools and all that sort of rat race crap that is damn hard to escape. Fun, fun, fun!

I've traveled a fair amount as well. Just back from Thailand, and not to be too "half glass full" or anything, but when one sees how horribly so many millions of people are living in other parts of the world, seemingly without hope, complaining about traffic and the likes here in Santa Cruz just always strikes me as somewhat..., well let's just say..., not comparable. Maybe exposure to all that Buddhism helps me to focus a little differently as well.

No doubt, as with all things, perspective is everything, but I also know what roof we have over our heads at night matters too.

I have met and worked with people who have lived their entire lives here, and though we all have heartburn about whatever gives us heartburn, there are lots of people just plenty happy to be here regardless. People who consider the good far outweighing the bad, and so too goes their frame of mind, their disposition. Others it seems are more inclined to grumble no matter what. All bad, all someone else's doing...

Either way, I always say "LITS!" Life is too short!

As you wish either way of course, but I take some exception with the notion that I am "sheltered from the problems..." sir.

I have gone to great length and much trouble over many decades to stay clear of what problems I don't wish on anyone; like hunger, homelessness and all the rest. I've always known the consequences of not doing what I needed to do to rise above all that as best I could while I could. Accordingly, I have also always been a liberal and paid plenty of taxes to help people with those problems regardless how they got there, again more than most people I know. I worked as a volunteer with the Food Bank over the years, up close and personal. More recently I volunteered my services -- for free -- at the Job Center on 41st, on behalf of unemployed people in Santa Cruz County. I do what I can, but always not enough.

I may enjoy the opportunity to avoid traffic like I do now that I am retired. Me and my wife now get around to all the beautiful spots when it suits us, avoiding the traffic and tourists who can only do the same on weekends, but I've done more years of commuting to/from work than most people I know. Lots and lots of work and commuting that maybe has helped me to enjoy all the great positives around here, finally on my terms.

That's been a goal of mine since I started working at age 16, or I'm not sure I would have made it here today. For me, I've considered California my home most of my years, picking and choosing where to live, north and south, at different times of my life for different reasons, finally settling here for all sorts of reasons...

Sad it seems you view my path here, my gain (and that of others) is your loss. I suppose someone in Tahoe is happy I chose Santa Cruz instead of Tahoe to retire (my other #1 choice), so what to do? I surely wish everyone could enjoy something of a "win win" scenario, for all concerned, but unfortunately it seems there are always the trade-offs, pretty much no matter where you go, good and bad. What to do?

Meanwhile, here's to the best day possible, today and tomorrow..., for you and all concerned.

Last edited by LearnMe; 11-30-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 08:09 PM

^^^^^^^
I don't view your gain as my loss. Not at all. You seem like a good guy .... caring, conscientious, appreciative of nature, of your good fortune to live here, etc..
I'm not targeting you as an individual when i rant a bit about what has happened to Santa Cruz county.
And this last year the influx of a certain ilk of people is very noticeable. The area has changed forever in a big way and, imo, not at all for the better.
Anyway ... what to do? Well, i'll send you my p.o. box and you can send me the money in the amount of what a Tesla would cost ... you know ... the one you're going to buy for your wife.
"Live Simply So That Others Can Simply Live".
That's what to do.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
^^^^^^^
I don't view your gain as my loss. Not at all. You seem like a good guy .... caring, conscientious, appreciative of nature, of your good fortune to live here, etc..
I'm not targeting you as an individual when i rant a bit about what has happened to Santa Cruz county.
And this last year the influx of a certain ilk of people is very noticeable. The area has changed forever in a big way and, imo, not at all for the better.
Anyway ... what to do? Well, i'll send you my p.o. box and you can send me the money in the amount of what a Tesla would cost ... you know ... the one you're going to buy for your wife.
"Live Simply So That Others Can Simply Live".
That's what to do.
Sounds simple enough, and that's what we'll simply do as we leave for our morning walk now as I sign off...

As for the Tesla, we've learned from researching the consumer reports that we simply don't need those headaches! Zero emissions or not. The 2017 Honda Accord Hybrid has recently taken the #1 spot for us, assuming it's okay for us to buy another vehicle to replace one of our two old ones. We won't be adding to the traffic by doing so, and we'll be getting better mileage while polluting less, so fingers crossed again that our gain won't be anyone's loss.

PS: I suspect you're a good guy too, and I won't repost my favorite quote again, of Goethe's. One big circle back to comment #68...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County