U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:04 PM

8,274 posts, read 23,316,926 times

Advertisements

Ah, here's another "where should I move" thread. Go easy on me.

I will be moving to Monterey area later in the year, and have no idea of where to live. I am originally from Sacramento, yet have been gone for well over a decade. I am, however, not really familiar with anything south of Santa Cruz. I've been coming back home 1 -3 times per year which often includes the Bay Area, but like I wrote, not really familiar with anything south of SC.

I am hesitant to toss out any figures because I know that would influence the responses as people tend to advise going with the best place you can afford where "best" generally translates to "safest" or with the most amenities or the most whoop-dee-do. No children would be involved here and of course I want safety.

I am also not looking for anything permanent, so I will be renting until I figure something out. What I am thinking is to spend the first year checking out the area then spend another year or two to decide if I want to stay or not. For those wondering, yes, this is related to employment but also temporary (1 - 2 years).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:06 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ah, here's another "where should I move" thread. Go easy on me.

I will be moving to Monterey area later in the year, and have no idea of where to live. I am originally from Sacramento, yet have been gone for well over a decade. I am, however, not really familiar with anything south of Santa Cruz. I've been coming back home 1 -3 times per year which often includes the Bay Area, but like I wrote, not really familiar with anything south of SC.

I am hesitant to toss out any figures because I know that would influence the responses as people tend to advise going with the best place you can afford where "best" generally translates to "safest" or with the most amenities or the most whoop-dee-do. No children would be involved here and of course I want safety.

I am also not looking for anything permanent, so I will be renting until I figure something out. What I am thinking is to spend the first year checking out the area then spend another year or two to decide if I want to stay or not. For those wondering, yes, this is related to employment but also temporary (1 - 2 years).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I encourage you to stay in the nicest, most interesting area you can afford (check craigslist frequently). This is especially the case if you have no children or larger family requirements (bigger, cheaper versus funner, safer, etc...). This decision will also impact your longer term perception of the area as well as your enjoyment of it. With all things, different areas of Monterey County appeal to different people for differing reasons. Not to mention we all have different budgets and other constraints (e.g. size of family). I know that seems obvious. But its important to keep in mind as you receive advice from a variety of locals. Their frame of reference will no doubt play a part.

While I try to remain impartial, I of course have my own biases as well. That being said, most of the locals I know would rather live in Monterey, PG or Carmel if they could afford to and satisfy their other requirements (e.g. big enough house for their family, etc...). We've lived in PG and Monterey and prefer Monterey for a number of reasons. For a younger single person or young couple, I think Monterey has more to offer generally speaking. However, PG is right next door. So, its not too far to go.

Since you left it pretty wide open with very few specifics, I'm speaking in general terms here. If you simply cannot afford Monterey, PG or Carmel (few can), Then you will need to explore surrounding areas which all have their pros/cons. These include Marina, Seaside, Salinas, et al. As you move out into some of these areas you will find a higher Hispanic population which for some is perfectly fine. There is also higher crime and gang activity in certain areas. Salinas is infamous for gang related homicides. Do some searching, check crime reports and educate yourself on the other areas in question. Even in these cities there are nicer sections as well. But sometimes it better to error on the side of caution especially as someone new to the area. If I could, I would rather go for a smaller place in a nicer area than a larger one in a somewhat sketchy location, kwim?

Derek

Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,316,321 times
I am biased for sure.
Pacific Grove, Monterey or Carmel. Simple.
And once in awhile there is a sweet rental deal that appears on craigslist. It just takes patience and tolerance.

monterey apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Re; the Monterey Bay listings on craigslist : I think it's safe to say that all (or at least most) of the listings that only provide a street address and not the town are Salinas rentals.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:50 PM

300 posts, read 301,246 times
Like everyone said, each little town is going to have its upside and downside so it depends on what you are after. I have lived in Carmel Valley, Marina, and now own a house with my wife (no kids) a few blocks from Oldtown Salinas. We love it here in South Salinas, but we are in a pocket of very nice houses with little to no issues aside from a few homeless that stray on South Main Street.

Maybe tell us a bit more about yourself...that helps! Are you 20, 30, 70 years old? What do you like to do: golf, checkers, walk, eat, drink, etc? Do you care if you have to drive 15-20 minutes to get anywhere and see someone? Do you want to be able to walk downtown? Do you want to be near the Ocean? What is your favorite Pokemon? You know...the usual.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGray View Post
Like everyone said, each little town is going to have its upside and downside so it depends on what you are after. I have lived in Carmel Valley, Marina, and now own a house with my wife (no kids) a few blocks from Oldtown Salinas. We love it here in South Salinas, but we are in a pocket of very nice houses with little to no issues aside from a few homeless that stray on South Main Street.

Maybe tell us a bit more about yourself...that helps! Are you 20, 30, 70 years old? What do you like to do: golf, checkers, walk, eat, drink, etc? Do you care if you have to drive 15-20 minutes to get anywhere and see someone? Do you want to be able to walk downtown? Do you want to be near the Ocean? What is your favorite Pokemon? You know...the usual.
As for age, I am a Gen Xer. I'm into hiking/backpacking, a lot, and scuba diving. Ironically, I earned my cert at Monterey over two decades ago. That was the first and last time I was there. I was in Marina or Seaside a few years ago for about an hour. Never been to Salinas yet hear that it is either Hell on Earth or an awesome place to live if you know which locations to avoid. For perspective, I live just outside of Baltimore and go into BMore on a regular basis. I seriously doubt Salinas is even half as bad. Those hiking and diving opportunities are pretty much why I took the offer.

Yes, being able to walk downtown would be nice. No, I don't care if I have to drive 15-20 minutes to see and do something. Here in Maryland it is common to drive 40-60 minutes to do something, including hanging out at a bar. I don't advocate drinking and driving, by the way. I also would not mind spending a half hour or longer on walking to a destination, either.

I would prefer to live as close to the ocean as possible.

I am leaning towards Monterey, but don't know where to look. Seaside, Marina, Castroville, Prunedale, and a few others have been suggested to me by colleagues. Yet, these same people had also warned against Seaside and Marina as they are supposedly dangerous. Outside of "gangs", they offered no real reason how so. Statistically, my current location is on par with Monterey/Marina/Seaside in terms of crime.

I am not sure what exactly will make the initial move with me, I will be keeping most of belongings here in Maryland until I fully settle in, so I don't need much space. A 300 sqft studio would be cool with me. At least for that first year. Honestly, when not at work I am likely to be combing the beach; it's my Zen. On days off, most likely hiking. I really only need a space to sleep at night, store my stuff, and prepare a few meals.

My OP was vague because I am wanting the cheapest place in a decent area; not the best in the best. Once I get a feel for the place I can move somewhere that would better suit my needs/desires. My OP was also vague because that is all subjective.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:38 PM

3,817 posts, read 3,116,877 times
Seaside aka sleaze side, or Marina if you are poor. Monterey if you are upper middle class, Carmel if you are rich. Santa Cruz sucks.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,626,084 times
Quote:
I am not sure what exactly will make the initial move with me, I will be keeping most of belongings here in Maryland until I fully settle in, so I don't need much space. A 300 sqft studio would be cool with me. At least for that first year. Honestly, when not at work I am likely to be combing the beach; it's my Zen. On days off, most likely hiking. I really only need a space to sleep at night, store my stuff, and prepare a few meals.
You should be able to find a relatively inexpensive studio or roommate situation (if interested in it) in any of these areas. That's a really small place. So, it will have more to do with luck of the draw and the market conditions when you are actually looking than anything you can figure out ahead time now. We were originally looking for homes over the entire area when one closer to the beach showed up 'lower' in price than much further inland. We were very fortunate. In the PG home we also found one that was relatively affordable. In both cases there were others who wanted the places as well. Having good credit and a stable position will help if if competing for the better rentals. Also, animals make it more challenging as many do not allow pets. So, until you are ready to actually start looking, you'll just need to keep your options open. While it doesn't hurt to look now things will be different when ready to actually move.

Here a few:

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5694049532.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5682881570.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5628678224.html

Derek

Old 07-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You should be able to find a relatively inexpensive studio or roommate situation (if interested in it) in any of these areas. That's a really small place. So, it will have more to do with luck of the draw and the market conditions when you are actually looking than anything you can figure out ahead time now. We were originally looking for homes over the entire area when one closer to the beach showed up 'lower' in price than much further inland. We were very fortunate. In the PG home we also found one that was relatively affordable. In both cases there were others who wanted the places as well. Having good credit and a stable position will help if if competing for the better rentals. Also, animals make it more challenging as many do not allow pets. So, until you are ready to actually start looking, you'll just need to keep your options open. While it doesn't hurt to look now things will be different when ready to actually move.

Here a few:

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5694049532.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5682881570.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/5628678224.html

Derek
Thanks MtnSurfer, this is what I was looking for. Yeah, I imagine listings will change once tourists/vactioners/summer renters go back to home.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM

16 posts, read 19,657 times
Default so why does Santa Cruz suck??

Why the hate on Santa Cruz?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM

300 posts, read 301,246 times
Quote:
As for age, I am a Gen Xer. I'm into hiking/backpacking, a lot, and scuba diving. Ironically, I earned my cert at Monterey over two decades ago. That was the first and last time I was there. I was in Marina or Seaside a few years ago for about an hour. Never been to Salinas yet hear that it is either Hell on Earth or an awesome place to live if you know which locations to avoid. For perspective, I live just outside of Baltimore and go into BMore on a regular basis. I seriously doubt Salinas is even half as bad. Those hiking and diving opportunities are pretty much why I took the offer.

Yes, being able to walk downtown would be nice. No, I don't care if I have to drive 15-20 minutes to see and do something. Here in Maryland it is common to drive 40-60 minutes to do something, including hanging out at a bar. I don't advocate drinking and driving, by the way. I also would not mind spending a half hour or longer on walking to a destination, either.

I would prefer to live as close to the ocean as possible.

I am leaning towards Monterey, but don't know where to look. Seaside, Marina, Castroville, Prunedale, and a few others have been suggested to me by colleagues. Yet, these same people had also warned against Seaside and Marina as they are supposedly dangerous. Outside of "gangs", they offered no real reason how so. Statistically, my current location is on par with Monterey/Marina/Seaside in terms of crime.

My OP was vague because I am wanting the cheapest place in a decent area; not the best in the best. Once I get a feel for the place I can move somewhere that would better suit my needs/desires. My OP was also vague because that is all subjective.
I grew up about 45 minutes West of Balmer, and my company is based in Lanham. So, knowing that I would say Salinas (in particular South Salinas) would be more than welcoming. However, the apartment living is a little drag so I might otherwise point you elsewhere unless you can find a reasonable house to rent (doubt it).

Marina is fine, lived there for 8-9 years and no complaints except limited things to do in Marina and it's always foggy (like Pacific Grove). Marina is really an in between town.

Otherwise Monterey is fine as well, and you can likely find an apartment for the same (or nearly so) as the other places in the area. You will get warmer weather than Marina, and you will also have plenty of things to do there (significantly more than Marina). If you're later looking into renting a house I would then recommend branching out a bit further in any direction as far south as Carmel Valley and as far north as South Salinas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County