U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 09:20 PM

289 posts, read 549,651 times

Advertisements

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Sounds worse than prison. What a joke! Tell your daughter to find a better place to live, $1,000 for a bedroom is ridiculous even in Monterey. if she is willing to pay that much then she should be able to find better roommates and a better place to live! The real solution to most bullsh*t in life is to move on. If she continues to live with this miserly, insane, neroutic kook then I'm sure she will just continue to have issues.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,150 times
Thank you for all the advice. She is looking for a new place to live and once that is secured, she'll let the LL know she's leaving due to a breach of contract. Security deposit was $475. My daughter is carrying 18 units, environmental science major, hardly there anyway, the LL has her boyfriend over..... Very strange..... When my daughter moved in the lady actually said "Now it will be like having family here." Hah!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 PM

6,258 posts, read 13,657,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danastark View Post
Thank you for all the advice. She is looking for a new place to live and once that is secured, she'll let the LL know she's leaving due to a breach of contract. Security deposit was $475. My daughter is carrying 18 units, environmental science major, hardly there anyway, the LL has her boyfriend over..... Very strange..... When my daughter moved in the lady actually said "Now it will be like having family here." Hah!
Very good idea. The best solution is to move on and out. The least time wasted on this mess, the better. Taking 18 units is quite an accomplishment. No need for meaningless headaches like this when trying to focus on doing well in school.

Derek

Old 10-11-2016, 07:58 PM

27,510 posts, read 56,643,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danastark View Post
Thank you for your input! Her utilities are included in the rent and there is nothing about limits on hot water or anything like that. Originally when my daughter moved in she could not get hot water in the shower but she is a resourceful kid, googled it and figured out that there was a ring inside the shower faucet that limited the hot water and she fixed it  Yes I agree she should've told the landlord but in hindsight it appears that the landlord was being cheap in this way too so it probably wouldn't have changed things if she had told her ..... She probably just hasn't figured out that's why Her gas bill is going up .......

Good to know about the security deposit rules. We are having her find another place to live before she gives notice so that she will not have to stay there after that.
Flow limiters are actually required with new installs in my California city...

Of course there are ways around it but the point is California has nearly 5 years of drought and most agencies establish a baseline with higher priced tiers for more usage.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 4,150 times
Yes, the issue was cold showers, no way to turn up the heat �� There was hot water in the kitchen to do dishes but none in the shower.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 PM

27,510 posts, read 56,643,348 times
A flow restrictor can have this effect because it can take forever for the hot water to travel through the pipe to shower head...

Less volume equals less flow.

Sounds like the situation is going South... no amount of money is worth a day in and day out hostile environment.

Your daughter is fortunate to have your support.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:26 PM

282 posts, read 280,910 times
For the amount of rent your daughter is paying for a room I would rent a three bedroom house and have her rent the other two rooms to two of her friends. Problem solved and might be cheaper.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:55 AM

12,977 posts, read 10,166,522 times
There is value in not dealing with household bills. That's about all the benefit I can see.
Good luck, Stark Daughter!! (she's an amazing young lady)

Old 10-25-2016, 12:12 AM

7,463 posts, read 5,457,574 times
Heck, it would be cheaper and much less hassle for your daughter to live in an on campus dorm (assuming she's attending CSU MB). You might put in a call to housing to see if there are any available spaces on campus.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 26,698,429 times
I used to be an apartment manager in Santa Clara.

In CA, the landlord has to mitigate damages, as someone else mentioned. This means, if she breaks the lease, the landlord has to make a reasonable effort to find someone asap. And can only charge the lease breaker rent until a new tenant is found.

A deposit can only be used to pay rent owed and damages.

Also, the landlord will lose the deposit, if they don't follow the laws regarding giving the tenant written notice of the right to a pre-move out inspection (called an initial inspection), or if they don't give a written list of what must be done to get the full deposit back, or if they don't send an itemization of deductions from their deposit and/or a security deposit refund within 21 days of vacating.

So, she could give 30 days written notice (I'd do it with priority mail with tracking plus an email, if they do emails), and in the notice say she will be cooperative about showing the room.

She should definitely take photos of how clean the room is, etc., when she is moving out.

Another way to handle this, is to simply move out without notice. If she does this, she should take photos of the room to show it's clean when she moves out. Then, they have to use the security deposit for rent she owes, and they still have to follow the laws regarding finding a new tenant.

The upside to just moving out, is that there can't be any eviction, because she's already be out. And they can't rip her off of her security deposit after also collecting rent. It also alleviates having to live with someone in a hostile environment. And, it puts the landlord in the position of having to sue your daughter for money above and beyond the security deposit - with the landlord paying the court fee to sue someone, instead of your daughter paying a court fee to sue to get her deposit back and trying to claim breach of contract, etc.

If it was me, I'd just give written notice as I was moving out, saying I'm moving out that day and here's my new address for my security deposit refund, and that I've taken photos of how clean I left the unit, and mentioning that in CA, a landlord must mitigate damages by trying to find a new tenant asap.

And, as far as this landlord being a reference - just don't put her down as a reference. She can always just say she's been living at home.

You could try the other route you mentioned, saying the landlord breached the agreement, so she has the right to move out without penalty. That just sounds like an uphill battle to me.

Here are some resources:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...hapter9-5.html

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...-deposit.shtml
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County