Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 06:07 PM

320 posts, read 933,953 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I'm going on a trip to SF in Mid November and I'd really like to see some of Big Sur and do some day hiking there. If I go my plan would be to rent a car for a day or 2 and stay in a hotel near Montery (open for suggestions on this too BTW since I haven't booked one yet). The problem right now of course is the Soberanes Fire and the closures for that.

I called the office for Julia Piefer Burns State Park this afternoon and talked to them briefly about the closures. Based on what they said and the info on their page here:

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?id=28575&page_id=582#trails

Basically they said that the Ocean side trails are still open, but anything on the mountain side or East of Hwy 1 is closed.

She suggested Andrew Morela State Park and Buzzard's Roost Trail.

Can anyone suggest any specific trails at Andrew Morela or any other locations besides the two places mentioned?

Given that I'm flying in I'm not planning on bringing a full backpack with me and everything necessary for an overnight trip. So I'd like to do some good day hikes. I'm a fairly experienced hiker and I've done some longer, more difficult trips including section hiking on the Appalachian Trail.

I will be honest and say that I'm not in the greatest shape but I can make due. I'm not crazy about the idea of climbing miles and miles of switchbacks though. That being said, a string of short 1.5 – 3 mile hikes that would fill up a day would be great, and I'm not opposed to a 5 or 6 mile loop that's really worth it.

Any suggestions based on what I have said?

Outside of actual hiking trails are there other particular scenic stops, or other attractions that I should keep in mind too?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:56 PM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times
Yes, she gave you generally good advice. Though I would skip Buzzards Roost trail as it was one of the least interesting hikes I've done in Big Sur.

Basically, you should stick to coastal trails along Big Sur which there are many of. The coastal scenery is amazing! Most tourists just blow by it while rushing down Hwy 1.

* Start with Point Lobos and walk around the entire park if you have the energy
* Walk Carmel River State beach to Monastery Beach
* Palo Corona Trail Requires advanced reservation.
* Garrapata Soberanes Point Coast trail
* Pfeiffer Beach - one of the most scenic
* McWay Falls

Then, if you are up for the drive, I recommend Salmon Creek trail which has two waterfalls and some climbing. Its south of the fire zone as far as I know. It's as difficult as you want it to be. Its also more like the other classic Big Sur hikes which you won't be able to see because of closures further north.

Lastly, if you have the time and willingness to drive, Santa Cruz has some great hikes which include redwoods. My favorite is perhaps Berry Creek Falls. Top 5 Hikes in Santa Cruz County - Visit Santa Cruz County

Derek

Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 PM

320 posts, read 933,953 times
Thank you! This is a big help!

So here's another thing I've been wondering, would you say that there is an optimum place to see redwoods in the SF/Big Sur region? Frankly I'm wondering if it's worth doing Muir Woods if I already plan on doing something like Berry Creek.

I've read that Sequoia National Park is the definitely place for the really "giant" trees, are they about equal in size and not really significantly larger elsewhere?

I've heard a few people say Santa Cruz is worth checking out. Do you think it's worth staying near there overnight?

I'm thinking of doing one night in Monterery would it be worth spending a night in Santa Cruz too if I did Berry Creek one day?

Old 10-13-2016, 12:14 AM

8,175 posts, read 16,565,453 times
I would say Santa Cruz is a very good option, especially since it wasn't really as affected by fire as Big Sur. That's not to say you will not enjoy Big Sur. Just less interior hiking and redwoods if that is what you are looking for. I think Santa Cruz offers more than Muir woods in size and features. See these articles:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...alifornia.html

Skip Muir Woods — 6 other Bay Area redwood groves to treasure – The Mercury News

Redwood NP and Sequoia NP offer the largest trees which dwarf these redwoods. But they are also quite a ways away. However, again, if willing to drive, Sequoia NP would be worth seeing. It's ~ 3.5-4 hour drive from Monterey.

Derek

Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,721,974 times
https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=666 >> Nisene Marks State Park

In Aptos. Roughly an hour from Monterey. Be aware of both a.m. and p.m commuter traffic.
If you're coming up from Monterey county >> A.M. going north on 1 to S.C. county clears by 9 am but the heavy traffic going south on hwy1 now begins as early as 2:30 pm now and gets really heavy by 4.
But if you do go to Nisene Marks (which is in Aptos) it won't be so bad for too long going south unless there's an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County