Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 7,743 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have seen some similar threads but are quite out of date. I am considering moving for a good position in Monterey (great $$) but am concerned about how small the city is for single people and things to do.

I have never lived in such a small town (smallest I have ever lived in is 150,000 people) so am a bit concerned about nightlife, shopping, etc.

Does everyone go to Santa Cruz for those types of activities?
What are your current thoughts?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 04:51 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
Hi all, I have seen some similar threads but are quite out of date. I am considering moving for a good position in Monterey (great $$) but am concerned about how small the city is for single people and things to do.

I have never lived in such a small town (smallest I have ever lived in is 150,000 people) so am a bit concerned about nightlife, shopping, etc.

Does everyone go to Santa Cruz for those types of activities?
What are your current thoughts?

thanks!
Shopping in Monterey (and county) isn't a problem at all.
Better night-life / music, et al scene in Santa Cruz county and it's about an hour to the north.
If you want a more "happening" county (it's also younger, more chaotic, funkier, etc. but it's also been invaded by Silicon Valley people so there's that), consider living in S.C. county and commuting to your job in Monterey.
You'll be going against the horrific a.m. and p.m. commute so the drive won't be that bad.
That's an option.
Or enjoy Monterey and take trips up to S.C. county when you want to.
I suggest that you make the move, live in Monterey County (since you can afford it choose Monterey, Carmel or Pacific Grove) long enough to get a sense of the entire Monterey Bay area and then if you choose, move north to S.C. county.
You're moving to a great area of California. Don't worry about what might not be absolutely ideal. Create it as you go.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
I agree with Blueskywalker about starting in Monterey. Its always better to liver closer to work. Then if you want more nightlife than what Monterey has you can take trips into SC or San Jose. The traffic is always better 'after' peak rush hour than during. Otherwise, you'll be too burnt out doing that daily grind to really enjoy living somewhere else. I will say that the drive into Monterey is bad in the morning coming from SC and SJ. I have a number of coworkers who fight that stuff and regularly get stuck in it. I also see it when I'm driving to work and its backed up coming in on the other side of the freeway. Lastly, I've gotten stuck in it myself when I've taken days off and wind up on the freeway at the wrong time during rush hour coming from SC.

Traffic aside, Monterey isn't as small of a town as you may think. In fact Monterey, Pacific Grove and Carmel are so close they function as one town meaning you can visit restaurants, shops, bars, events, etc... in any of them easily. The singles I know in the area shop, go out at with friends day and night, etc... in Monterey most of the time. IMO, the key is to find social groups of commonality like running, biking, hiking, photography, art, music, wine tasting, classes, church/synagogue, etc... versus simply bar hopping. The later will be less effective in connecting with other singles than a more intentional, interest based approach.

Derek

Old 12-15-2016, 02:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed that living in Monterey would be a better option than commuting from SC, etc. I hate traffic. Do you guys have some recommended websites I should use to look for apartments,etc?

Are there things like kickball, or team sports leagues that I could join in Monterey? Basketball etc.
What about the weather? I am originally from Miami so I am used to hot sunny days... I am guessing it won't be the same in Monterey...

Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 PM

I don't participate in leagues, so I have no direct experience with them. But a friend of mine plays football. Here's one I found after a quick search: Monterey Bay Sports League » History

There's a lot of outdoor sports and activities in the area, some of which may be new to you which may be worth trying such as outrigger paddling, scuba diving, kayaking, surfing, etc... In addition, there a a number of meetup groups that focus in these areas of interest and more. Mountain biking is very big here including races.

The weather is not as warm as Florida. So if that is what you are looking for, this is not the place. However, it is warmer than the majority of the nation falling into the mild or moderate Mediterranean climate. Daytime temps range from 50s to 70s year round with 60s being the most common. Even during the coldest times of the year like now so close to Winter with a storm rolling through you can still do outdoor activities. For runners and hikers like myself it is near perfect never getting too hot or cold. On the other hand if 50s-60s is 'freezing' to you, then its probably not your kind of place. Here's a look at our weather now during this storm and much needed rain: https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0724:1:US

Derek

Old 12-16-2016, 07:48 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,090 times
The weather on our side of the bay (Santa Cruz County) is a bit warmer and there tends to be less fog in the summer (when fog is an issue).
Areas away from the coast will be less foggy and MtnSurfer can tell you which areas in Monterey County are less foggy (if i may speak for him ).
Carmel Valley is a good area re; warmer temps and fog.
I much prefer NOAA's web-site for weather. No adds and detailed reporting for the entire region (including San Francisco area) under "Forecast Discussion" on the bottom part of the page.

National Weather Service

Craigslist is a good way to find a rental or, at the very least, get a good sense of the rentals and prices in any given area. Not too many scam adds and they're flagged quickly.
I believe i'm correct in saying that the listings that only provide street address are in Salina's where i'm thinking you probably won't want to be since you can afford the more expensive (and preferable) communities in the county. There are good areas of Salina's however.
monterey apartments / housing rentals - craigslist

Old 01-10-2017, 07:36 PM

295 posts, read 337,917 times
check out monterey sports center.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:09 AM

What would you guys think of living in the Santa Cruz area and commuting to Monterey? Is that a terrible commute?
I was thinking maybe Capitola or something like that?

Would that better for single dude?

Last edited by spacemanvt; 01-19-2017 at 04:09 AM..

Old 01-19-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanvt View Post
What would you guys think of living in the Santa Cruz area and commuting to Monterey? Is that a terrible commute?
I was thinking maybe Capitola or something like that?

Would that better for single dude?
I already answered your question in post #3 above. Bottom line: its not the greatest idea. Its far better to drive to Santa Cruz Off Peak Hours rather then back and forth during rush hour. The traffic does get nasty with bottlenecks during rush hour. Think about it. Come home, eat dinner and if you feel the need to go party or hang out in SC during the week drive there after hours.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 PM

787 posts, read 644,163 times
I hate threads like this.

As a single guy of the same age, I don't see why it really matters, as a man and alpha male, I make my nights what I want them to be, I don't depend on an area having a certain amount of highly rated bars on yelp, a man should be able to gave a great time with confidence anywhere he is. I don't have "less fun" in a rural town as opposed to a large city, it's what you make of it. Don't be dependant on other people or social circles, be your own person without feeling bound to the radius of any one social resource in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County