U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM

191 posts, read 171,141 times

Advertisements

need some recommendations for the area we are heading to California this summer our first 3 days will be in san fran ( already started a thread for info on that) then we are heading to Monterey for a few days then visiting family in san jose.

what are some really good vineyards to check out? we want to check out two vineyards and then see what else the are has to offer need recommendations for places to eat.

any local shops to check out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 07:41 PM

14,923 posts, read 4,760,988 times
I'll whet your appetite first with one of my personal favorites: Peppers Mexicali Cafe, Pacific Grove (closed on Tuesday).

peppersmexicalicafe.com

In addition to the food, the location is ideal IMO. A few blocks walk to the west takes you to the coast at the northern end of the beautiful Asilomar beach trail. A few blocks to the east is downtown Pacific Grove (along Lighthouse Avenue).

I will provide a more comprehensive post tomorrow with a few recommended vineyards, etc. The Carmel Valley area is ideal for that and has some very good restaurants, too. It also is not too far east of the beautiful Monterey Peninsula.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-18-2017 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 AM

Here is some vineyard information:

There is a wine trolley that can take you to some wineries. Tours Monterey.

If you want to tour them on your own, these five in the Carmel Valley area are good choices:

Georis Winery. Georis Winery.
Mercy Vineyards. Mercy Vineyards - Artisan Wines from the Arroyo Seco.
Boekenoogen Wines. Boekenoogen | Vineyard and Winery.
Parsonage Wine. Parsonage: Carmel Valley Family Winery.
Joyce Vineyards. Joyce Vineyards | Crafting unique wines from unique terroir.

Here are a couple good restaurants to enjoy in Carmel Valley. I have enjoyed both (Will's Fargo once, Cafe Rustica twice).

Will's Fargo Steakhouse. Will.
Cafe Rustica. Titre.

This is another wine tasting & lunch option with a nice waterfront view in Monterey's Cannery Row. Have enjoyed it a few times. There is a small gift shop inside, too. Very nice place to take a break and relax for awhile with a view of the bay.

A Taste of Monterey Wine Market & Bistro.
Monterey wine tasting and visitor center.

The famous Sardine Factory restaurant is only two blocks from Cannery Row. The Sardine Factory | Monterey.

Just a couple blocks further is the place I recommend if you get a craving for pizza in Monterey: Gianni's Pizza.
No website. Here is the address.

725 Lighthouse Avenue, Monterey, CA 93940 (does not open until 3:30 pm M-Th; opens 11:00 am F-Su).

Also in Cannery Row is The American Revival Company Store. Old photos, antique gifts, good poster selection, and some humorous items. No website so here is the address.

711 Cannery Row C3, Monterey, CA 93940.

A walking trail (locals call the rec trail) will take you to Fisherman's Wharf.

There you will find the Wharf's General Store. They have a good selection of shirts and sweatshirts, coffee mugs, and fridge magnets there along with some humorous items, too. Several eateries and vendors are in Fisherman's Wharf. You can sample food before buying. Most of it is seafood, of course.

Fisherman's Wharf Monterey | Home

Here are a couple more restaurants in Monterey to consider. I have had very good meals and service at both.

Peter B's Brewpub next to the Portola Hotel. Just a short walk from Fisherman's Wharf near Custom House plaza.
www.portolahotel.com.

Turn 12 Restaurant and Bar. Downtown Monterey.
www.turn12barandgrill.com.

Enjoy your three days in the Monterey area!

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-20-2017 at 02:09 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 02:22 AM

If you are not too pressed for time when leaving Monterey to visit family in San Jose, you may want to consider a brief two hour stop in San Juan Bautista on your way north (about 35 miles from Monterey). It is a charming, historic little village located off route 156 about 3 miles east of the 101 freeway.

If you did not get a chance to enjoy Mexican/Latin food in Monterey, I recommend Jardine De San Juan restaurant. jardinesrestaurant.

Then time permitting, allow about an hour if you can, to walk around the charming little downtown area, browse stores, see the old mission, etc.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-20-2017 at 02:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2017, 01:04 AM

OP, have you taken your trip to Monterey yet? If so, hope you enjoyed it and also your time in San Francisco and with family in San Jose!

Fyi: I was in Monterey last Saturday and noticed that the American Revival Company store in Cannery Row that I recommended checking out, had closed.

Last edited by chessgeek; 08-22-2017 at 01:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or