U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:44 PM

6,158 posts, read 13,371,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I would think that the most affordable places with beach view are cities like Montara, Moss Beach, El Granada - basically these villages between SF and Santa Cruz that are nowhere convenient to job centers and don't have much infrastructure
Unfortunately, no. I just took a look and there isn't any affordable housing there. Its very similar to the rest of the Bay Area $1.x-2.x million and up! In fact, it looks more expensive than Monterey which I like better if I had $1.x million to drop on a place.

Derek
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,692 times
So many good answers here, but can folks offer some more specific suggestions about which communities in greater Monterey/Santa Cruz are most affordable (for buying, not renting) and are also safe (or have large safe areas)? Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 07:33 PM

29,042 posts, read 46,872,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lola View Post
So many good answers here, but can folks offer some more specific suggestions about which communities in greater Monterey/Santa Cruz are most affordable (for buying, not renting) and are also safe (or have large safe areas)? Thanks!
How close to the ocean are you looking to live? Because if you go just a little bit inland, there are some more affordable towns - like Watsonville, San Juan Bautista, and Salinas (which does have SOME good parts). The town of Marina is also more affordable AND close to the water, but I don't know much more about it. Pretty sure it's around a military base?

Old 08-30-2018, 08:26 PM

47 posts, read 91,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How close to the ocean are you looking to live? Because if you go just a little bit inland, there are some more affordable towns - like Watsonville, San Juan Bautista, and Salinas (which does have SOME good parts). The town of Marina is also more affordable AND close to the water, but I don't know much more about it. Pretty sure it's around a military base?
The military marched out in the mid 1990s and the conversion of the former base is an ongoing thing. There's a college that has a lot of the former army properties. And a lot of blighted old barracks that await their turn to be something else.

There are new residential areas being built up. Marina Dunes is close to the freeway and rest of the old Marina town for 800K, none are single family homes from what I see. The other new area is East Garrison. Overlooking fields of produce and about 5 miles from town or beach, also overpriced for hohum construction IMO.

Marina's beach is a windy place with undertows.

Marina has a Walmart.

Marinas was known to be accommodating to homeless people living in RVs on the streets until a short while ago.

I live in Marina because it's cheap. I'd leave fast if I was able to move back to Pacific Grove.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:44 PM

8 posts, read 3,915 times
This is really amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County