U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:25 AM
mlb mlb started this thread

3,179 posts, read 2,851,972 times

Advertisements

We are new homeowners in Prunedale as of yesterday.

Shout out to anyone in the neighborhood.

Any tips y'all can share?

I know of the grocery store in central Prunedale - but where are the farmer's markets if any?

Is the Santa Cruz Costco the closest?

Do you shop in Gilroy or Salinas for staples?

Thrilled to be moving here - away from the SNOW ZONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 1 day ago)

5,503 posts, read 12,351,445 times
First of all welcome to Monterey! We moved here from Colorado 10 years ago and have really enjoyed it. I also work with someone who moved here from Utah.

We have quite a few friends who live in Prunedale. Most seem to prefer heading toward Monterey, Marina and Seaside for their shopping. The thing to keep in mind with Santa Cruz is that it's much more impacted due to closer proximity to the Silicon Valley. Some folks actually commute there for work. So traffic is almost always much worse going in that direction.

For example, Sand City Costco is going to be much better than Santa Cruz due to the congestion. Once you drive Santa Cruz during rush hour you'll remember to do everything possible to avoid it in the mornings and afternoons.

Check out Salinas for other stores as well.

Derek

Old 11-27-2018, 09:00 PM

Thanks. My nephew and his wife and kids live in Santa Cruz so I suspect we will work in family visits with those Costco visits.

Both my spouse and I are former Californians - I lived there 1976-1991 - in San Francisco and Los Angeles where I met my Los Angeles borne spouse. We moved to Utah to afford a house and live near the mountains and in a less congested area. Things have changed in those 28 years.

It's good to be back.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM
Status: "Enjoying the the beauty of the PNW" (set 1 day ago)

5,503 posts, read 12,351,445 times
Wow, 28 years is a long time to live in Utah. It is a very beautiful state with some amazing national parks. But so is California. We're also natives who moved to CO. But I missed the coast too much to stay for that long.

I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing family in the area. Santa Cruz is still a nice town. Though as many locals will admit its grown a bit too much for its infrastructure. As long as you drive off peak hours its not too bad though. We still go on occasion and plan accordingly.

Derek

Old 11-28-2018, 08:11 PM

65 posts, read 104,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
We are new homeowners in Prunedale as of yesterday.

Shout out to anyone in the neighborhood.

Any tips y'all can share?

I know of the grocery store in central Prunedale - but where are the farmer's markets if any?

Is the Santa Cruz Costco the closest?

Do you shop in Gilroy or Salinas for staples?

Thrilled to be moving here - away from the SNOW ZONE.
Unless you are in the very north of Prunedale the Salinas Costco is almost surely the closest. I prefer the Sand City one personally, however. I don't know of any farmers markets in Prunedale - the produce store in Moss Landing used to be fantastic but is no longer there. Monterey, PG, and Salinas all have their own farmers markets. Pezzini Farms off of Nashua Road has some good local produce.

As far as other tips, 156 is a parking lot during summer beach traffic - use Blackie Road as a bypass. Ichiban has amazing sushi, the Prunedale Market has fantastic BBQ, Trolly Car has great sandwiches, Tacos Deliciosos are deliciosos, Lemon Grass is super Thai food, Phil's Fish Market and the Whole Enchilada are solid, though not as good as the others. Moss Landing Post Office is easy in/out and uncrowded, Elkhorn Slough has great kayaking, sailing lessons from the Moss Landing harbor are neat, and if you don't want to drive to San Jose or SJC Airport you can pick up the MST bus and the Monterey Airbus from the prunedale park-n-ride.

Oh, and if going to Santa Cruz I suggest taking San Miguel Canyon Road over 156-to-1.

Those are my learnings from visiting that part of the county.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:46 PM

THANK YOU for that, Transitory.

We are retired - so off hours driving is something we can accommodate. We will be living in the Berta Ridge Canyon area.

I do worry about being so far from a major airport (Salt Lake International being a 20 minute ride with no traffic)... glad to hear about the Airbus and a Prunedale park n ride.

We'll be needing a good vet because we have a 5 year old Golden Retriever and an almost 2 year old Corgi...

If y'all have any good vets - holler at me.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wow, 28 years is a long time to live in Utah. It is a very beautiful state with some amazing national parks. But so is California. We're also natives who moved to CO. But I missed the coast too much to stay for that long.

I'm sure you'll enjoy seeing family in the area. Santa Cruz is still a nice town. Though as many locals will admit its grown a bit too much for its infrastructure. As long as you drive off peak hours its not too bad though. We still go on occasion and plan accordingly.

Derek
We moved because we were tired of LA - Spouse grew up there and hates it - and we really couldn't afford a house unless we lived in Riverside - and commuted HOURS to our jobs. It was not a life we wanted. Spouse was a skier and was pretty much a powderhound..... I was happy to leave the madness behind. I am originally from Wisconsin and wide open spaces appealed to me. We wanted a small town feel - and Utah gave us that.

We moved to Utah in 1990 - bought a house immediately for $92K - and I worked continuously all those years first for the University and then the city we lived in as a public employee. Spouse has been in and out of marketing jobs... but we did OK.

Utah is pretty "tribal"... and we're not of that "tribe". And we've tired of the politics here - both of us confirmed Democrats.... We've made friends here - but it's never felt like home. Hard to live out here in the desert far from family. Coming back to California to retire - we both have family and still have friends from when we lived there before. So yah - coming home.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 AM

444 posts, read 1,156,878 times
Those I know who live in Prunedale talk about how you have to be careful where you move because there are different sections of Prunedale (the canyons). I think it comes down to living next to the right people. You get more land there, but you still have neighbors, and those neighbors can easily dictate how your life goes, particularly if you're retired and want peace. I don't think of it is a particularly quiet area because of this, but it's certainly rural.
Knowing the back roads of Prunedale is vital for living there and functioning on summer weekends, when the entire Bay Area and most of the Central Valley visits the coast. And I'm just assuming you're not actually in Oak Hills. Prunedale got hit really, really hard by the heavy rains two winters ago. All those eucalyptus trees came down on the roads, knocking out power for over a week and essentially stranding people for days. That is likely to happen again, but that's the price you pay for living ruraly.

The Salinas Costco will be a lot easier to reach overall. Sand City is really difficult to get into and out of. You'll probably end up around Northridge Mall and the Dunes in Marina a lot. I've heard different opinions about the Costcos. One girl insisted that the Sand City one was awful and another said that they would never go back to the Salinas one. Maybe you can hit both and decide. But Santa Cruz's, I think, should be off the list. Not worth the trouble, unless you're actually living closer to Watsonville.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:19 PM

We're not in Oak Hills - we're east of the 101.

We've been looking in the area for 5 years - have had two realtors. The first lives in the area but we dropped him because he tried to oversell a piece of property which he had a controlling interest in on Moonglow...... inflated the price a good $100K and we made an offer that was not accepted. A year later it sold for less than we offered.

Good riddance.

As far as choosing neighbors that's pretty universal We like having an acre and separation and yes we're in an HOA.... so we are aware.... but it will be much better than the scenario we are leaving where our neighbors are close physically and we can hear them party behind us every freakin' weekend because Ohio State Football is way more important than community peace. They clearly do not have standards. Also our home here in Utah is surrounded by dogs. And barking. We have dogs but we don't leave them out to bark for nothing.

We're pretty resilient and not naive and have lived in LA and suburban Utah... We look forward to our move.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:58 PM

15,316 posts, read 17,762,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
THANK YOU for that, Transitory.

We are retired - so off hours driving is something we can accommodate. We will be living in the Berta Ridge Canyon area.

I do worry about being so far from a major airport (Salt Lake International being a 20 minute ride with no traffic)... glad to hear about the Airbus and a Prunedale park n ride.

We'll be needing a good vet because we have a 5 year old Golden Retriever and an almost 2 year old Corgi...

If y'all have any good vets - holler at me.

Howdy. mlb.

My brother has happily lived in Prunedale over 25 years.

He takes his pup to Prunedale Vet Services. He says good things about them. 831-663-6551

https://prunedalevet.com/

Hope y'all like Prunetucky (as we call it)

We've always loved PD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County