U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 1,261 times

Advertisements

I am considering the mountains above Carmel as a retirement home. I was told it is above fog line, just not sure elevation. My question is, what can I expect summer weather wise? I know the San Francisco area, lived in San Francisco and Pacifica. How does the weather compare? I'm looking for as cool a climate as possible without having to deal with living in San Francisco again. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 PM

5,542 posts, read 12,425,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janazz View Post
I am considering the mountains above Carmel as a retirement home. I was told it is above fog line, just not sure elevation. My question is, what can I expect summer weather wise? I know the San Francisco area, lived in San Francisco and Pacifica. How does the weather compare? I'm looking for as cool a climate as possible without having to deal with living in San Francisco again. TIA
Being a bit further south, I would say its generally a bit warmer than SF and Pacifica. Though it still stays relatively cool. For us, its perfection. Just enjoyed a beautiful walk near the wharf at sunset tonight.

Carmel itself has fantastic weather as does Monterey. You do not have go up into the mountains above Carmel for better weather. Just driving back a bit into Carmel Valley and the the summer fog dissipates. Also, keep in mind that Monterey has a sunbelt where it can be foggy everywhere else yet sunny even along the coast inside this sunbelt near the airport. Then as you drive inland just a bit behind the airport along Hwy 68 its gorgeous.

Some weather connoisseurs might complain that the coast is a bit cooler. But this is nit picking, really. And its gotten progressively warmer here over the years. The problems you'll run into if you over compensate and try to go too far into the hills are:

1. Its further from everything including shopping, restaurants, walks along coast, doctors appointments, etc... Basically everything you'll need to do.
2. More isolated
3. More wildlife in and around the property
4. Hotter in the summer months
5. Can get more windy especially along hilltops & ridges. Ask about local weather patterns, wind and microclimates and not just from realtors.
6. More brush and fuel for potential fires during the dry season. Can be higher maintenance to keep defensible space.

That said, the whole area is beautiful and mild year round (50s-70s). If you want 80s+ in the summer then head inland... just not too far. If you remain relatively close to the coast the ocean breezes and onshore flow will keep the pollen down as well. As you move further inland it can get worse for those with allergies.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-03-2019 at 10:48 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 07:25 AM

23 posts, read 31,242 times
In general the farther inland you go, the less fog and warmer temperatures. Sometimes just crossing Hwy 1 produces sun. Also my house sits above 500 ft in elevation (but still on the west side of the highway) so the fog can lift earlier and roll in later than at the beach.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,261 times
thanks, I am looking for cool as possible. The heat makes me sick. I'll keep looking. I was in Sonoma last summer and hated it, too hot for me. I want cool summers. Cold winters are not a problem.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:10 PM

79,161 posts, read 71,240,609 times
Quote:
thanks, I am looking for cool as possible. The heat makes me sick. I'll keep looking. I was in Sonoma last summer and hated it, too hot for me. I want cool summers. Cold winters are not a problem.
Marin?

Old 05-04-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Monterey, Pacific Grove, Carmel and even Seaside and Marina will be fine relatively close to the coast. It should be cool enough for you. As I mentioned, 50s-70s year round. And 70s are more rare. But when you said the mountains above Carmel I thought you wanted hotter weather like some people do. Otherwise, why go into the mountains vs. staying nearer the coast?

Derek

Old 05-04-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Marin?
Are you trying to stay relatively near SF? You could definitely look north. Heck, even the southern Oregon coast is very nice and cool. Lots of retirees head up there. Brookings, Gold Beach, Bandon, etc... are worth a look. I like them better than NorCal beach towns which tend to be more grungy (Emerald Triangle).

Derek

Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,531,188 times
Eureka

Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 PM

272 posts, read 250,945 times
Marina

Old 06-07-2019, 09:48 AM

292 posts, read 268,693 times
To be clear, are you referring to Carmel Highlands? That's the area that you pass as you drive along Highway 1 South south of Carmel. As another indicator, it's the area that you are driving through when you start to see homes built into the side of the cliffs. Yes, that area would be generally cooler than other parts of Monterey (generally speaking). If you want to stay IN the fog, I would say Pacific Grove, Marina, or Moss Landing (although the available living space in Moss Landing, on the coast, is quite limited - as in ... good luck).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or