Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 10:07 AM

36 posts, read 48,767 times

Advertisements

Happy Holidays! I'm considering a position in Monterey with a ~93k salary. I'll be an empty-nester next year, so I know down-sizing in on the horizon. I'm a nature lover and have always lived on the East coast, and an avid beach lover. I'm considering the West coast because it'd be a bold move - full of adventure. I like adventure! With that being said, I'm hoping a few Monterey residents (or former residents) would be so kind as to shine some light on a few of my concerns.

COL: As I spoke with my would-be supervisor, she indicated that the costs of living is high, but people make it work. My question is how? I realize the price of admission is high, but if you aren't rolling in dough, how are you making ends meet? As I look at the costs of housing and the median incomes, what gives? It just doesn't compute for me?

Crime: I know crime is everywhere, but according to Neighborhood Scout.com "Monterey has one of the highest crime rates in America compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities." Do you find this to be true in your neighborhood?

Elitism: Is it palpable at the grocery store, restaurants and businesses? Is there a distinct line between the Haves & the Have-nots?

Racial Relations: Ok, I know this is hard for some people to admit, but racism exists everywhere. My question is how up front and in your face is it in the Monterey area? Shows that 3.6% of Monterey is Black or African American. I'd add to that percentage, so how we're treated/perceived/related to is an important factor. Is there anyone brave enough to touch this one ?

Lastly, I'd like to express my gratitude to everyone who has posted in the Monterey forum. Your love for the area shows and the honest feedback from the detractors is equally helpful. The area is beautiful and even if I just come for a visit, I appreciate the guidance.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2019, 10:43 AM

144 posts, read 186,429 times
I have Santa Barbara in mind for the future. But I’ve decided to take a coworker who’s was born and raised in San Francisco advice. He told me to make sure I have a skill that can generate money as California is very expensive. He’s been homeless once and learned his lesson. right now I’m about to take a years course in culinary and baking. I already have a cna license, hair styling and clothes making certificates. If you are still un certain you can go back to school and learn another trade so that you can make multiple streams of income, as you can’t put your eggs in one basket.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:47 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
We actually just moved after living there for over a decade. We raised our kids in Monterey and loved it. There are parts we miss and look forward to enjoying while visiting. I tend to agree with Waheguru above for the most part.

We lived in the city of Monterey and crime was never an issue. I have many friends and coworkers who are unaffected by crime as well. It was never even a topic of conversation or consideration. Crime is probably the worst in Salinas which skews the numbers. Even within Salinas there are better/worse parts. Parts and Seaside and Marina can have some issues. So talk to realtors and locals before picking a specific neighborhood. If you just stick to Monterey, Pacific Grove or Carmel there will not be issues at all. Though you can venture beyond that and still find decent places.

COL and more specifically cost of housing is the biggest con. But I know many middle class folks who live there on less than you'll be making. In fact, it's also a college town with CSUMB and other institutions of higher learning such as the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. So lots of students living on shoestring budgets making it work as well. Just understand that a larger portion of your income will be going toward housing if you choose to live there. That said, deals can be found especially once in Monterey. And that is what most locals look for patiently. Our first place wasn't so great. But after watching and waiting we found a real gem three blocks from the beach. Our deal was so good in fact we almost couldn't leave even after 10 years in the same house where the owner never raised our rent.

Elitism, classism, etc... are basically non-existent in Monterey in day to day living. The one exceptional thing that really stood out to me while living there is what an international city Monterey truly is. We get people from around the world who come to live and study there. Monterey is known as the Language Capitol of World because of this. I worked with people from all different countries let alone colors. THE LANGUAGE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD CULTURAL FESTIVAL

That said, there are lifestyles of the rich and famous in Pebble Beach and parts of Carmel, etc... Yet it's a false impression/stereotype to think everyone is rich and driving around in $$$ sports cars with money falling out of their pockets. The majority of residents are not wealthy. Even in places like Carmel by the Sea which is made up of $million+ homes there are folks of more modest means. How? Well, older retirees bought their homes decades ago when they were more affordable. Then Prop 13 allows them to remain there with lower taxes.

Most of your issues/non-issues will revolve around expectations for housing. If you are coming from a lower cost area things will not compute with that same perspective. You will need to decide to spend more to gain more. That is the cost of admission. I would say its definitely worth experiencing if you have a job offer in the area. Just don't say, why aren't the houses as cheap/affordable as <my old city> or somewhere else not on the CA coast? Think of the Monopoly game. You'll be moving to Park Place, etc...

Derek

Old 12-25-2019, 07:21 PM

75 posts, read 153,957 times
If you spend most of you time outside of your home and are willing to have roommates, then go for it. But if you want your own place that is not rundown or in a bad area, then you had better be making significant coin!

Old 12-25-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahewahewaheguru View Post
93K a year will be sufficient and she will not need room-mates .... just a little luck.
Yeah, if one person/single income (assumption) then here is a sample of some smaller places within Monterey that are not bad under $2000. Some assumptions have to made like you are willing to live in a smaller apt/home since you mentioned empty nester.

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/...029796040.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/...019658461.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/...043415264.html

https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/...043064706.html

Really nice view in Del Rey Oaks:
https://monterey.craigslist.org/apa/...036234672.html

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-25-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 12-26-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
And she should look in Pacific Grove & Carmel too.
True, our first place was in Pacific Grove. Due to more fog, we decided to move to the sunbelt of Monterey which is closer to the airport. We also enjoyed being close to downtown Monterey itself. But these are just finer preferences once one gets into the area.

Carmel by the Sea is actually my favorite beach to spend time at when visiting due to its incredible beauty near the river.

Derek

Old 12-26-2019, 01:03 PM

Thanks Derek, Wahewahewahehuru, & Clark9272.

Those CL listings are nice to get a general idea and your information is great. I was thinking about a one BR because a studio gives me hotel vibes (just sayin'). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but PG is the foggest, Monterey is foggy, but along the sunbelt, you get some rays and Carmel (more inland)has more sun, but housing costs go up significantly here? I like the more sunnier option.

The position would be at the Major General William H. Gourley VA-DoD Outpatient Clinic. What is the area like in it's location? The address says Marina, but someone told me it was in Monterey.

I'm toying with the idea of visiting early February to get the feel of the area; however, as a military veteran, I know what its like moving to places I've never been. Things generally turn out fine (knock on wood). I'm a big nature fan and I've heard this area is a nature-lover's paradise.

I've been considerably lucky or blessed to have found great homes and have even purchased a couple, but I think renting would be my only option in Carmel, Monterey or PG. Is Craigslist the go-to for rentals? I visit the site, but am very skeptical of the listings.

One last question (I think): Other than the cost of living, what else should I know about? It'll just be me & my dog. My family visits me wherever I end up, so I plan to have out of town guest at least quarterly. My mother sometimes stays with me for months (she better get use to sleeping on a pull-out :-)).

Once again, thanks for the advice. You guys Rock!

Old 12-26-2019, 08:14 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why-not-now View Post
Thanks Derek, Wahewahewahehuru, & Clark9272.

Those CL listings are nice to get a general idea and your information is great. I was thinking about a one BR because a studio gives me hotel vibes (just sayin'). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but PG is the foggest, Monterey is foggy, but along the sunbelt, you get some rays and Carmel (more inland)has more sun, but housing costs go up significantly here? I like the more sunnier option.

The position would be at the Major General William H. Gourley VA-DoD Outpatient Clinic. What is the area like in it's location? The address says Marina, but someone told me it was in Monterey.

I'm toying with the idea of visiting early February to get the feel of the area; however, as a military veteran, I know what its like moving to places I've never been. Things generally turn out fine (knock on wood). I'm a big nature fan and I've heard this area is a nature-lover's paradise.

I've been considerably lucky or blessed to have found great homes and have even purchased a couple, but I think renting would be my only option in Carmel, Monterey or PG. Is Craigslist the go-to for rentals? I visit the site, but am very skeptical of the listings.

One last question (I think): Other than the cost of living, what else should I know about? It'll just be me & my dog. My family visits me wherever I end up, so I plan to have out of town guest at least quarterly. My mother sometimes stays with me for months (she better get use to sleeping on a pull-out :-)).

Once again, thanks for the advice. You guys Rock!

Howdy Why-not-now,

The Carmel Valley starts a couple miles inland from Carmel. This is one of the areas which is sunnier/warmer/hotter. It's a beautiful area. We often played/swim/fish in the Carmel River. We got great enjoyment exploring/hiking The Los Padres National Forest.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCAc&uact=5
https://www.bing.com/search?q=los%20...-US&v=1.4.27.0

Sometimes, we would cool off in the pool...
Los Laureles | A California Historic Country Inn

Yes, the VA-DoD outpatient clinic does appear to be in Marina. Over the years Marina has grown quite a bit.

My mom loved living in Marina for many years. She liked cloudy days. I did some outside projects for her. There were quite a few sunny/part sunny warm days, i remember there. She lived on Bayer Drive. Inland, at the end of Reindollar.

I Have friends with skin of all different hues of color. It is, what is in their hearts, which is important.

I grew up an Army brat. We lived in Fort Ord during 'the Good Ol' Days'. On Bataan Road-Stilwell Park...

Old 12-27-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Craigslist is fine for rentals although there are scams now and then.
I lived in the area for so long that i can easily spot them.
Usually they look to good to be true.
If you see something on craigslist that you like, check w/ someone on c-d-f.
As a dog person i can tell you that he/she adds to the challenge of finding a rental but i figure that if my dog isn't welcome i don't want to be there anyway.
Woof!
I've been on and off cdf for many years (w/ different user names) so i know that Mt.Surfer knows Monterey county like no other.
The reason i left S.C. county is because it just too many ppl but i don't think that Monterey county has been inundated w/ Silicon Valley ppl the way S.C. county has.
I love the Monterey bay area.
You just have to find your niche there.
I can't imagine life without my dog Thanks for the info. I think it'll be an interesting ride for sure.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Why-not-now,

The Carmel Valley starts a couple miles inland from Carmel. This is one of the areas which is sunnier/warmer/hotter. It's a beautiful area. We often played/swim/fish in the Carmel River. We got great enjoyment exploring/hiking The Los Padres National Forest.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=los%20...-US&v=1.4.27.0

Sometimes, we would cool off in the pool...
Los Laureles | A California Historic Country Inn

Yes, the VA-DoD outpatient clinic does appear to be in Marina. Over the years Marina has grown quite a bit.

My mom loved living in Marina for many years. She liked cloudy days. I did some outside projects for her. There were quite a few sunny/part sunny warm days, i remember there. She lived on Bayer Drive. Inland, at the end of Reindollar.

I Have friends with skin of all different hues of color. It is, what is in their hearts, which is important.

I grew up an Army brat. We lived in Fort Ord during 'the Good Ol' Days'. On Bataan Road-Stilwell Park...

I'm looking for the sunshine for sure. I like the idea of cooler temps, but give me sun please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County