U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2020, 08:05 PM

16 posts, read 13,043 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering a move to the Central Coast area from Golden, Colorado. Based on time spent driving around the Monterey and Santa Cruz area and researching online, we're looking at Aptos.

Why are we considering a move? We both work from home so we have a lot of flexibility. We enjoy trail running and mountain biking. Colorado gets a ton of sun, but it's colder than we'd like and our trails are snow covered or wet for many months of the year. We're looking at Aptos area over SLO because if either of us got laid off, a commute to Monterey or Silicon Valley would be doable, albeit not ideal. Prior to Colorado we lived in DC so we know how terrible LONG commutes can be.

Budget: Around a million

Questions:
* Is Aptos a family friendly place? On a whole, are kids rich and entitled, or down to earth? We love Colorado for the outdoorsy and laid back culture. I do not consider it a materialistic culture at all.
* I've read about gangs in Santa Cruz and Watsonville, does that influence life in Aptos at all?
* I've read about the many microclimates, but on average how many days a year is it foggy?
* In what month do leaves fall from the trees and when do they start to bloom again?

Our main driver to move is better weather. Colorado is fantastic with lower income and property taxes, but it can snow anytime between October and April. We're tired of the unpredictable weather. The redwood forests and beaches look amazing!

Last edited by Wags627; 04-12-2020 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 08:45 PM

84,446 posts, read 77,616,808 times
Consider also Scotts Valley. It's within corporate shuttle bus commuting of Silicon Valley, should the need arise. RE tends to be a little cheaper than in the beachside communities, but it's close enough for an easy drive to the beach on weekends or at the end of the day. Redwood parks, galore!

The fog burns off by late morning, so you get sun most days. Winter can be overcast, even rainy, not foggy.

You're very fortunate to have the flexibility to move where you want, and take your work with you.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:51 AM

1 posts, read 169 times
Agree with everything above. Aptos is family friendly for sure. Its mostly upper-middle class to wealthy. Public schools there are considered pretty good as far as I know. Aptos tends to be a little foggier than Santa Cruz to the north but not as foggy as the Monterey Peninsula. Usually in summer by the afternoon the fog burns off and Santa Cruz/Aptos is at least 5-10 degrees warmer than Monterey--great beach weather! Coming from Colorado winters I think you'll like the weather lol.

I would also consider Scotts Valley, Soquel, and parts of Santa Cruz, if you like the Santa Cruz vibe. Also consider the San Lorenzo valley towns (Felton, Ben Lomond, Boulder Creek) if you like living in the redwoods-- winters can be dark and rainier, and the roads tend to be small and windy... but you can find more deals up there. I wouldn't worry about crime from Watsonville at all, and Santa Cruz unless you look for it.

At your price point I think you will have options anywhere in the area as long as you don't need to live in a mansion or beachfront. Good luck!

Old 04-27-2020, 12:45 PM

268 posts, read 283,849 times
Scotts Valley is good if you end up commuting to Silicon Valley, but the traffic corridor getting into Santa Cruz and down Hwy 1 can be congested. I lived in the San Lorenzo Valley (Felton and Boulder Creek) for 20 years and while it was gorgeous, I finally wanted to be closer to things, not have to drive all the time to Santa Cruz, and to live winters without the power going out from rain storms and downed redwood limbs.

I've lived in Aptos now for 16 years and find it a great location. It's quicker to Santa Cruz, not so congested relatively speaking, and the weather, being cooler than Scotts Valley and San Lorenzo Valley, suits me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or