Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 04:29 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
You'll pick up the 101 in San Luis Obispo. There is a section of Hwy 1 near Lompoc but don't take that as it just runs by Vandenberg AFB and not along the ocean. If you don't want to see the Carmel area then you could push on to Cambria. I wouldn't go any further though because you'll be tired from the driving. Highway 1 isn't like the 101. The driver has to be concentrating on the road the whole time. Lots of twists and turns and slow moving traffic. This all might be a moot point by March because rainy season is coming and with the recent fire we could very likely have mudslides, which means Hwy 1 will closed.
Thanks for the advice on mudslides. I have a feeling this will happen closer to May or June now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Unless you want to stay in SF the first night, why not head down to Pacifica or Half Moon bay, both are small towns, just south of SF & right on Highway 1. Hotels there will also include parking, make sure any place you book in SF also has parking, some hotels want to charge extra for parking. If you want to stay on One all the way, just stay on it. If you use gps it will likely try to divert you back to the freeway.
Well, you raise a good question. The reason I'm flying into SFO is two reasons. One, Delta I do not believe flies to Oakland or any other airport close by.

Two, I would like to venture up near the Golden Gate bridge to get some good pictures.

Otherwise, I'd like to start heading south the minute I land. BUT.. I have a feeling we won't land in SFO until after 9. And after a long day of flying it's just better to start fresh in the morning.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:38 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well, you raise a good question. The reason I'm flying into SFO is two reasons. One, Delta I do not believe flies to Oakland or any other airport close by.

Two, I would like to venture up near the Golden Gate bridge to get some good pictures.

Otherwise, I'd like to start heading south the minute I land. BUT.. I have a feeling we won't land in SFO until after 9. And after a long day of flying it's just better to start fresh in the morning.
That sounds fun, but the traffic on the GG Bridge can be knarly.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:39 PM

So here is some additional information. You all have been helpful

I have considered flying into SFO on Thursday night. And making it a goal to get to LA by Sunday.
This would allow more time to check out spots on the way down there. The reason I am not 100% sure on that is if I set a check in time for LA (hotel) on Sunday. I might find myself within 2-3 hours driving distance of where I plan to check in Saturday night. So it's almost like I'd then be upset that I didn't just schedule to check in on Saturday night.

The idea of flying into SFO on Thursday night. Leaving Friday towards Santa Barbara via highway 1 for Friday night. Then the next day arrive in LA was an idea to maximize that in terms of still having 6 days in LA area.

I know that the 101 is close to the 1 so if I felt like I was getting behind I could always jump on the 101 to make up time (say for Saturday).

I just have a goal to do the whole PCH. I've done it from LAX to SD. If I could do it from SF to LAX that would just leave North of SF to finish.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:41 PM

130,326 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I think you need to forget your drive to the GG Bridge. While it is beautiful, it will delay you by at least half a day. Get a jump start on your trip & head down One as soon as you land. If time was not an issue I would say spend time in Sf, but time is an issue.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 PM

I'm actually thinking about making it a two day road trip instead of one.

I fly into SF on Thursday night. Stay there that night. Then on Friday morning leave & make it a goal to get to LA on Sunday at some time preferably by 4-5 pm right after check in time.

I figure that would allow much more time?

Old 10-23-2020, 08:57 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,842,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks for the advice on mudslides. I have a feeling this will happen closer to May or June now.
May or June? Don't bother then, as it'll likely be FOGGY.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:59 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
May or June? Don't bother then, as it'll likely be FOGGY.
Much more likely to be foggy later in the summer. May and June are fine. Also, since you're driving from San Francisco, any fog will likely have burned off by the time you reach Big Sur. Just make sure your drive on Hwy 1 is over well before it gets dark. That's not a road you want to be on after dark.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think you need to forget your drive to the GG Bridge. While it is beautiful, it will delay you by at least half a day. Get a jump start on your trip & head down One as soon as you land. If time was not an issue I would say spend time in Sf, but time is an issue.
You say it would delay me half a day? Why is that?

I'm not talking about driving over the bridge but driving from the hotel we stay at to the park area on the south end of the bridge. I've googled directions & it says 30 minutes from the airport to that park area.

And that's from the airport. I'd be coming from a hotel that would likely be 10-20 minutes north of the airport.

Now, I will say my original trip of just 1 full day of driving probably wouldn't work to well but I think I'm going to spend 2 days going from SF to LA area.

Thanks again for suggestions.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:25 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
You will be able to find lots of scenic and small towns on your drive and it is a beautiful drive as long as the roads are open by the time you take your trip. San Semeon is one place that would work for you. Now, lets pray for open roads, no more fires and no more mudslides
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County