Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:40 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellelasvegas View Post
WATSONVILLE is the hispanics land.
Don't hold back any, let all that bile and crud out of your brain. Your gonna feel so much better once your head pops back to normal width and your mind gets a chance to widen out, some.

If you suffer from hispaniphobia nothing on the Central Coast - or Central California, for that matter - is gonna be a good fit for you. But if you actually have the power to think and make up your own mind Watsonville does have a few neat places. We always hit the Gottschalk there, and the speedway's right out of town, the annual air show is top notch and the rest of the shopping area is great. But then I'm not one who thinks "Mexicans" can't or don't have auto insurance. I think that myth's in some movie somewhere, but in this area it ain't so true.

You need to have someone look at that mindset, because its starting to rot your flesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 01:04 AM

46 posts, read 126,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellelasvegas View Post
WATSONVILLE is the hispanics land. You need to speak spanish there, as all the agricultural workers live in this area, and have their stores and whatnot. The schools are primarily mexican, but you'll find this all over CA, and in Marina there is a mix of everybody. A white family has no place in Watsonville, except on the outermost limits which really doesn't count, because they never enter the actual town. The entire area is very overpriced, you may get tired of paying top dollar for a run down "cottage" if you didn't grow up there. Many natives are escaping to northern ca and oregon, because your quality of life is screwed when you take into consideration the gridlock, the illegal aliens driving work trucks around with no insurance, you have no money as all will go to gas and rent or your mortgage. the schools are poor for the most part, crowded. Visit frequently, but I wouldn't waste my money on the entire SC and Monterey areas, and I never ever would live in Mexico City, I mean Watsonville.
Born and bread in Watsonville! While I agree that the majority of the population is Latino, Anglo live very happy in this area. The children of both Anglo and Latino have bilingual education available to them. The school has less vandalism and drug activity than Aptos High. Over crowded is not a thing of the present but of the past. We have a new high school and as far as I am concerned, great curriculum.

You do not need to know spanish to live in this community. There is a difference between rendering services in spanish to spanish speaking than not providing services in english. BIG DIFFERENCE!

One thing I do agree, you will find a cheaper home in Los Banos than you would in Watsonville but this is the coast and you will not find anything cheaper anywhere around. The major problem I can forsee is the commute. You should probably try it out first and if you cannot handle the commute, move closer. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2008, 01:06 AM

46 posts, read 126,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thanks guys,

I had a feeling the commute from Watsonville would be a bit of a grind. I will definitely have to take that into consideration. A friend of mine who lives in Aptos also recommended Marina which he said is a bit of a military town. And since I will probably be working DoD contracts that is fine with me.

Can anyone comment on Watsonville itself as far as a place to live. I have heard there are some newer sub divisions which are nice. I also read on city-data that the town is ~75% Hispanic. So I guess I am wondering what that may be like for our family which is primarily Anglo. I have 'some' Spanish blood. But my wife and kids are as white as they come. And none of us speak Spanish. In parts of SD where some of my wife's family lives there is reverse discrimination. For example if one doesn't speak Spanish at the local stores, schools, etc... they are frowned upon.

Thanks again for the tips and help in our search. We will also visit both areas when we come out in a couple months.

- Derek
You do not need to know spanish to live in this community. You will be fine. Please see above thread.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:01 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
I see this thread got resurrected. Since starting it a while back I have moved to from CO to CA with my family. I work in Seaside and we rent currently in Pacific Grove. I do like living closer to work. And PG is a fantastic location.

However one of the ladies I work with lives in Watsonville with her husband and kids in the newer Seaview Ranch neighborhood. She says they really like it there. She also said there is a mixture of different races.

For now we will rent until the market settles. PG is definately a nice place to call home. Unfortunately I don't think buying in PG will ever be considered affordable. But we will look around.

Thanks for the input,

Derek

Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 13,264 times
Hey MtnSurfer, what has transpired over time?

Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 AM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalscott View Post
Hey MtnSurfer, what has transpired over time?
Scott,

We've been here in Monterey going on two years now and are really enjoying it. We are leasing a home in Monterey instead of purchasing right now. Our house is walking distance to the beach and it is really fun for the whole family. We may buy again at some point. But right now we are really enjoying this central location.

Derek

Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
Stay the h*ll away from Prunedale ...my relatives thought it would be sweet to raise the kids in the country..but it's not that way anymore!..this place is nothing but white trash, meth labs, crimes galore going undetected and small minds. Real estate is overpriced and the place is rundown as hell. No nightife, it's barely safer than Salinas for your children (rural doesn't mean safe!!!), The public schools are absolute failures and the whole town rolls up and dies at 6 pm each night, unless you want to kick it with meth dealers. I'm doing everything I can to get out of here and into San Benito County or otherwise..it's a lot of trash and deviance in a higly condensed area. The police force is weak out here 3 cars or less for most of north monterey county, people literally get away with murder, and people drive like they're blind and constantly put others in danger because they don't have legal licenses or are impaired from the lack of activities for youth causing them to get into crank and cause accidents or worse. You may as well move to
Castroville or the Santa Cruz Beach Flats! You'd have better luck!!! TRUST ME ON THIS!

Old 02-20-2011, 04:52 PM

147 posts, read 310,760 times
how is rent in Prundale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County