Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I'd just stay away from Salinas, Seaside, and Scotts Valley if you want to be away from gangs.
My opinion would modify the city's comments on Salinas to all of East Salinas [93905] and parts of North Salinas [93906]. South Salinas [93901] and the highway 68 corridor areas of Salinas [93908] have better safety records than some of the "luxury" [snobbish] communities on the bay. Some of the older sections of Seaside are at risk, but the new section - just north of the high school - seems OK. I have no opinion on Scotts Valley.

To put this in perspective, though, unless you're worried that your kids are prone to joining gangs I think you're placing an awful lot of emphasis on what - to local residents - is not much of an issue. And here I'm not speaking of what gang activity can mean and do to others, just what it is to them and their families. Thousands of kids go through the schools in these communties each year and are totally unaffected by gangs. The schools have many dedicated and effective teachers. There are great neighborhoods, great churches, great youth sports activities and great community groups in all three locations the city mentioned. But if you choose to miss out on them, it just a choice, not the end of the world.

I've read most of the "warnings" posted by the chicken littles of this world on this site. They make me laugh, most of the time. Some people see "social nuclear bombs" and "danger" in everything and everywhere, but in fact there's just as much chance of random and unexpected dangerous gang activity in so-called "safe" communities - all over the state - than in many areas of Salinas and Seaside. And, "If you want to stay away from gangs" you ought to live in my peaceful neighborhood. Zip. Nadda. None. Unless you count the kids playing stickball on the street in the afternoon as "gangs". But my neighbors don't.

It's sort of like warning you not to buy a home built on the median of a freeway. No reasonable person places his or her family in dangerous locations. In these - as in most - areas dangerous locations are pretty obvious. Run down neighborhoods, graffiti all over, etc., etc. So avoid those types of areas. But to not even check out a property in a safe area of Seaside or Salinas because you "might" see gangs is pretty self-defeating. Imo. Due diligence is one thing. Obsessing over remote possiblities is another. Again, imo.

To me its just one factor in choosing a home. One of many. And definitely not one of the most important. But that's just me. Good luck, whichever way you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 02:53 PM

12 posts, read 93,897 times
Thanks to both of you for the great info. We are looking for the areas of the Monterey Bay to avoid for housing insofar as crime is concerned. Yes I know criminal ands their crime "travel," but we really want to find areas that are nicer, but not outrageously expensive. Ie: Carmel is really nice, but you have to be rich to live there. We just want avoid neighborhoods where there are lots of "undesirable" activity. This is for my Wife and I - we do not have kids. But in 1997 we were crime Victims. We are not gonna be victims again. Part of that process is avoiding so-called bad areas, and having become lethal weapons that will terminate any threat in a second, in our home, and on the street, and just living in areas where the police do their job well.

Do ya'll know much about the Carmel Valley area? Are there many nicer rentals there?

THANKS again!! Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
My opinion would modify the city's comments on Salinas to all of East Salinas [93905] and parts of North Salinas [93906]. South Salinas [93901] and the highway 68 corridor areas of Salinas [93908] have better safety records than some of the "luxury" [snobbish] communities on the bay. Some of the older sections of Seaside are at risk, but the new section - just north of the high school - seems OK. I have no opinion on Scotts Valley.

To put this in perspective, though, unless you're worried that your kids are prone to joining gangs I think you're placing an awful lot of emphasis on what - to local residents - is not much of an issue. And here I'm not speaking of what gang activity can mean and do to others, just what it is to them and their families. Thousands of kids go through the schools in these communties each year and are totally unaffected by gangs. The schools have many dedicated and effective teachers. There are great neighborhoods, great churches, great youth sports activities and great community groups in all three locations the city mentioned. But if you choose to miss out on them, it just a choice, not the end of the world.

I've read most of the "warnings" posted by the chicken littles of this world on this site. They make me laugh, most of the time. Some people see "social nuclear bombs" and "danger" in everything and everywhere, but in fact there's just as much chance of random and unexpected dangerous gang activity in so-called "safe" communities - all over the state - than in many areas of Salinas and Seaside. And, "If you want to stay away from gangs" you ought to live in my peaceful neighborhood. Zip. Nadda. None. Unless you count the kids playing stickball on the street in the afternoon as "gangs". But my neighbors don't.

It's sort of like warning you not to buy a home built on the median of a freeway. No reasonable person places his or her family in dangerous locations. In these - as in most - areas dangerous locations are pretty obvious. Run down neighborhoods, graffiti all over, etc., etc. So avoid those types of areas. But to not even check out a property in a safe area of Seaside or Salinas because you "might" see gangs is pretty self-defeating. Imo. Due diligence is one thing. Obsessing over remote possiblities is another. Again, imo.

To me its just one factor in choosing a home. One of many. And definitely not one of the most important. But that's just me. Good luck, whichever way you go.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:40 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Jim,

I am moving my family to the Monterey area in a few weeks. My wife actually flew out yesterday and is looking at homes and neighborhoods today. Franklyn has a lot of good advice. He helped us in determining the better sub neighborhoods. We have three young children so finding a safe neighborhood is important to us as well.

You really have a lot of choices 'especially' if renting which we have decided to do first. Although we want to buy eventually we would like to live in the area first and really check things out more. And so with rentals unlike buying the differences in prices are 'not' that great. While we cannot afford to buy a home in Carmel, Pacific Grove or Monterey at the current prices we can afford to rent there.

Check out Craigslist and the Monterey Herald for current rentals. I think you will be surprised at what you can find. Also check upper Seaside, Del Rey Oaks and Marina. We found places we like there as well. As of today my wife liked Pacific Grove and Del Rey Oaks the best for what is on the market. There was a nice place in Carmel for a decent price. But someone else already grabbed that one. The best places go 'fast.' So you have to be ready to apply as soon as it is announced.

Carmel Valley is supposed to be nice. I have not heard about any real crime problems out there to speak of. It is just too far out from work, shopping, coastal activities, etc... for us compared to the other closer in options.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-09-2008 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,258 times
Carmel Valley is a mixed bag of areas, Jim08, so exercise some caution there but by all means check it out. The farther up you go in the valley [from the ocean, of course] the more it changes - but as in everything else that is not completely one-sided. In my opinion.

Positives: Good weather; strong community ties; many luxury homes; local congressperson lives up there; diverse unincorporated area; Carmel river runs through most of it; the main road runs all the way through the valley and eventually comes out by the Arroyo Seco river gorge, Greenfield and Hwy 101 just west of King City; wide variety of housing available - luxury to ranch; golf courses, etc., near valley mouth; great county park for hiking, etc., and many more. Did I mention I have lots of friends living there, and my son used to be in the upper end of the valley in an area known as Cachaqua [pronounced kuh-shaw-wah]? [Save that information because it will make you feel like a local when you first use it - not that it comes up in conversation very often].

Negatives: Poor traffic circulation, not many detour alternatives when there's trouble on the road; it's an unincorporated area [cuts both ways]; some sub-standard housing mixed in with the $M homes; the farther you go up past "the village" it gets worse, in my view. Oh, and that road that goes all the way through, yada, yada, is really twisting and turning - and old. So after the first trip through you'll normally avoid it. Sorry.

But there are some really nice homes and neat locations scattered up there, including some side canyons that are to die for, so check it out. Timing is everything, and some of the properties I've seen there are super. If they'd been available when I bought my present home I'd probably have chosen there. [And then argued with my wife, but that's life].

Hope this helps a bit, and good luck. DM me when you're settled and I'll buy you a cuppa coffee at the Starbucks at 68 and CDR. You, too, MtnSurfer.

Oh, btw, Carmel Valley was loosely the northern boundary for the recent huge Basin Complex (http://www.ksbw.com/news/16960936/detail.html - broken link) wildfire in the Los Padres National Forest and the Ventana Wilderness, which you may recall being in the news for several weeks, recently. Just fyi.

Last edited by Franklyn; 08-09-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM

12 posts, read 93,897 times
Thank you guys very much. Will do on the Cup a Joe Franklyn. We are going to rent until we establish here we want to buy, and while prices are falling, as they will do into 09. We work at home (web stuff) so we are lucky insofar are no longer commuting. THX! Jim

Old 08-14-2008, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 19,573 times
Mtnsurfer: Have you already checked out the schools yet? I am curious what you found. We may be moving from Seattle to the Monterey area for a job transfer. We are initiating the request in our desire to get back to California weather and family. We moved up from LA (and also lived in Hermosa beach in the mid-90s). Seattle is a great place to raise kids and we love it but the weather is really hard to deal with Nov-May. We are not sure if this area is right for us but our first attempt at securing a transfer to San Luis Obispo did not pan out.

Jimo8: Did you and your wife look at Pruneville (I think it is called) or Watsonville? I am wondering if those are options for affordable (400-500K) housing?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:17 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Now after some research I'm starting to think San Luis Obispo and Monterey are the 2 paradises in california. They are the smallest urban cities. "mini" urban cities with green, great colleges, great schools, less crime and poverty, entertainment, and a good amount of shopping. now, San Luis Obispo only has gottschalks right now. it could be five years until they get a Macy's. Monterey has Macy's right now in their lifestyle shopping center.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:22 PM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conaus38 View Post
Mtnsurfer: Have you already checked out the schools yet? I am curious what you found. We may be moving from Seattle to the Monterey area for a job transfer. We are initiating the request in our desire to get back to California weather and family. We moved up from LA (and also lived in Hermosa beach in the mid-90s). Seattle is a great place to raise kids and we love it but the weather is really hard to deal with Nov-May. We are not sure if this area is right for us but our first attempt at securing a transfer to San Luis Obispo did not pan out.

Jimo8: Did you and your wife look at Pruneville (I think it is called) or Watsonville? I am wondering if those are options for affordable (400-500K) housing?

Did you mean Prunedale??? "Pruntucky" is another name for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County