U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-10-2008, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,977 times

Advertisements

Hi.

My company is looking to move me to Monterey in the coming month. I've always lived in cities and am concerned about the social scene and how easy it is to meet people. I've been reading a lot on this site about the cliques that tend to form and the absence of a singles scene. I think it has to be one of the most beautiful places around but don't want to be talking to myself every day.

Also, any neighborhoods I should avoid? I have a Jack Russell Terrier and want to be safe walking her at midnight.

One last thing. How easy is it to travel from Monterey via airplane. I know there is an airport but I imagine flight prices must be outrageous.

Thank you!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 PM

6,541 posts, read 15,130,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina View Post
Hi.

My company is looking to move me to Monterey in the coming month. I've always lived in cities and am concerned about the social scene and how easy it is to meet people. I've been reading a lot on this site about the cliques that tend to form and the absence of a singles scene. I think it has to be one of the most beautiful places around but don't want to be talking to myself every day.
I lived in Pebble Beach for a few years. Plenty of activities. Just do what you enjoy, you will make plenty of friends. If you golf you will be in heaven.
I bought a pass for the aquarium, a lot of great evening events. Wine tasting, jazz, a great hallows eve party for kids.

Quote:
Also, any neighborhoods I should avoid? I have a Jack Russell Terrier and want to be safe walking her at midnight.
I did not enjoy Salinas much.
Carmel is the most dog friendly town I have ever lived in. Dog friendly beach, well kept. At least 25% of the restaurants are dog friendly.

Quote:
One last thing. How easy is it to travel from Monterey via airplane. I know there is an airport but I imagine flight prices must be outrageous.
I found it oh so much cheaper to drive to San Jose to fly out. Prices at Monterey were at least 5 times more then.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM

889 posts, read 2,140,147 times
To fly in and out of Monterey is really not expensive the way it was years ago. I now fly in and out of Monterey when need be and comparing prices i have often found a $50.00 difference between S.F or San Jose. Hardly worth the effort to take the Air Bus or drive.
I dont know how easy it is to meet people but locals tend to keep to themselves,their familys or friends.Its an older, estabilshed town and most people have been there their entire lives.
It's pretty safe in Monterey so dont worry, but walking around at midnight????
Single scene?? Not good, never has been.Cliques-oh yes
But, it's so well worth it, dont worry.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 12 days ago)

3,889 posts, read 6,384,704 times
Monterey is like San Luis Obispo. Only difference is San Luis Obispo is more hippy and has less big-box stores. and monterey is more expensive. all though, all that is changing in SLO...

Old 09-13-2008, 05:04 PM

20 posts, read 52,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolina View Post
Hi.

Thank you!!
You definitely won't be talking to yourself everyday, unless you are afraid to go out and meet people. I have met all kinds of awesome people here. Some at bars, at the beach, at the festivals in Pacific Grove, through groups on meetup.com. If you are interested in any sort of outdoor activities...running, cycling, triathlons, scuba diving, kayaking...you can find a group of people here to connect with.

As far as places to avoid...there are some areas of Seaside and Marina that I wouldn't be comfortable walking my dog at midnight. But there are nice areas of those cities as well. You'd be safe pretty much anywhere in Monterey, Pacific Grove, and Carmel.

Flying into Monterey is really expensive. I usually fly out of SJC. Just recently they had an airline called expressjet that flew into monterey and you could fly for $59 each way to LA and OC. But, unfortunatly the airline went out of business this month. So I guess there is hope that they will have some cheaper airlines flying in and out of MRY again one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County