Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The 101 corridor is the central coast, I-5 corridor is the central valley.
That's right. But I wouldn't consider King City "coastal". King City sits in an agricultural valley. It's surrounded by farming and ranching. Not bad, not wonderful. I don't think what you are looking for is in King City. King City does have everything you will probably need, it's not totally podunk. Tons of shopping at the Gilroy outlets, but that's a bit of a drive north. How far is your husband willing to commute to work? Ya know, I wonder if there is a commuter bus or van leaving Paso? That could save you some money. I'm sure living on base is so you can save money, right? Anyway, King City isn't the end of the world, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be happier in Paso Robles or Templeton. You'd be more centrally located, to San Luis Obispo and the ocean. Paso Robles is 1/2 hr. from the ocean (Morro Bay).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
That's right. But I wouldn't consider King City "coastal". King City sits in an agricultural valley. It's surrounded by farming and ranching. Not bad, not wonderful. I don't think what you are looking for is in King City. King City does have everything you will probably need, it's not totally podunk. Tons of shopping at the Gilroy outlets, but that's a bit of a drive north. How far is your husband willing to commute to work? Ya know, I wonder if there is a commuter bus or van leaving Paso? That could save you some money. I'm sure living on base is so you can save money, right? Anyway, King City isn't the end of the world, but I'd be willing to bet you'd be happier in Paso Robles or Templeton. You'd be more centrally located, to San Luis Obispo and the ocean. Paso Robles is 1/2 hr. from the ocean (Morro Bay).
Why do to mention Gilroy? Salinas is much larger than Gilroy & 30 miles closer to King City. Also Monterey is closer to King City [both in Monterey Co.]. Gilroy is 2 counties further north in the Santa Clara valley.

King City is in a coastal valley - the Salinas valley [quite different than the Central Valley. It is hot in the Salinas valley from King City to Paso Robles but much cooler nights than the San Joaquin V. during summer. Cool enough to produce fine wines.

Between Salinas & King City it is all agriculture & the towns aren't at all interesting unless you like "ranchero" music

Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM

268 posts, read 817,418 times
I've lived in King City a few years ago so here's what I know. I felt fairly safe in the town. Mostly Mexican field workers who are just there to make a buck. A lot of young men hang out down town on the weekend evenings but that's what young dudes do when they're alone in a strange country. We were never bothered, even by the drunk ones. The schools suck from what I hear. There isn't much to do in the town. Shopping is limited to just the basics. But there are some really good Mexican restaurants, the best. We used to go exploring the country side for something to do. There is an interesting museum in town near the river. Real estate was about the cheapest, nice town in the whole county. Monterey county is expensive. We would drive an hour to Salinas to go to the movies and shop at the mall. In the mornings it really smells like garlic and onions. That's what I always remember about the place. The cheapest gas in town is on the east side of town at a little gas station near the Meyers Tomato plant. The most expensive is down by the freeway. We met some really nice natives when we went to the Episcopal Church. It's a nice fairly quiet town if you like that kind of place. It is isolated some what being about an hour from any major population center.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
The locals can expand on this, but what is the rental housing situation like these days around Lake Nacimiento, like at Heritage Ranch?

That would be about a 1 hour drive to Hunter-Ligget, 30 minutes to Paso Robles.

Not in a city but the Nacimiento area would be lake living and closer to Paso Robles which is larger than King City.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

People in the San Luis Obispo area actually make day trips and drive to Gilroy to shop, not Salinas. I'm sure people in King City do too, there happster!! Why do you want to argue? We're talking to a lady who has no idea about the area. Yes, King City is part of a "coastal area" technically. But if you think you're going to pack your ice chests and beach balnkets and head out, well, you'll be driving for a while. That's what I'm getting at. I'm trying to give her an idea of the place. OK, there? I live in that part of CA, don't argue with me.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:57 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Quote:
People in the San Luis Obispo area actually make day trips and drive to Gilroy to shop, not Salinas. I'm sure people in King City do too, there happster!! Why do you want to argue? We're talking to a lady who has no idea about the area. Yes, King City is part of a "coastal area" technically. But if you think you're going to pack your ice chests and beach balnkets and head out, well, you'll be driving for a while. That's what I'm getting at. I'm trying to give her an idea of the place. OK, there? I live in that part of CA, don't argue with me.
I'm not arguing, sister But why would anyone drive an extra 30+ miles to shop in Gilroy when Salinas\ Monterey are much closer & have more stores?

I also recall the smell of onions around King City. Its a good smell of vegetables growing. Around Salinas there are strawberries fields that go forever w/ a great aroma.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
I live in King City in Pine Canyon, a residential area surrounded by hills about five miles out of town. Lots of law enforcement (CHP, CDCR) and doctors who work at Mee Hospital live there ... as well as the farmers who own the fields around here. I personally love the area and the community. They have a "pride week" where everybody chips in to clean up the town. If somebody gets sick, the whole community contributes to help them out.

I've heard Paso Robles does have better schools and they do have better shopping. The downside is that it is hot as hell during the summer. King City is actually cooler, believe it or not, because we still get some coastal breezes ... Paso doesn't.

Let's be honest: People like to trash a lot of the towns along the 101 because a lot of Mexican farm workers live here. Paso is more white so for them, that's better. Although to me it's kind of stupid. If people are trying to escape hispanics they might as well move to Idaho or something because they're everywhere. Even if you're having a fancy dinner in Carmel ... you're going to see hispanics. This is farm country, afterall.

I've actually come to love this area ... the last time we went shopping in Gilroy it was so crowded I couldn't stand it. We couldn't find any parking, etc. I'm not a big shopper anyway and I guess I've gotten used to not having to fight traffic every day so ... country life has worked out fine for me.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-13-2008 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Yes, King City is part of a "coastal area" technically. But if you think you're going to pack your ice chests and beach balnkets and head out, well, you'll be driving for a while.
Actually, one of our favorite day trips is to take the motorcyle, cut through the base and take Nacimiento road through the Los Padres Forest to Hwy 1 ... talk about gorgeous scenery. But yeah, it is a drive. To get to the coast on the pennisula, it's about an hour. But Paso is a bit of a drive also ... although the 46 is also one of our favorite routes ... more gorgeous scenery. I just HATE the heat in Paso in summer. It was absolutely horrible every time we went through there. I just moved here from desert so ... I guess I've become heat intolerant.

Last edited by sheri257; 11-13-2008 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
But why would anyone drive an extra 30+ miles to shop in Gilroy when Salinas\ Monterey are much closer & have more stores?

I also recall the smell of onions around King City. Its a good smell of vegetables growing. Around Salinas there are strawberries fields that go forever w/ a great aroma.
In Gilroy it's the ... get your designer duds for dirt cheap thing ... even though it's probably a myth. Last time i was there I saw lots of people from Silicon Valley. Nevertheless ... it's very crowded. So we mostly shop in Salinas or Monterey ... depending on where we're headed for the weekend.

As for onions in King City ... I did smell those in early fall but now they seem to gone. They grow so much stuff around here, I can't keep track. The turnover in these fields is amazing ... they grow everything. They say the Central Coast feeds the world and I certainly believe it.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
The locals can expand on this, but what is the rental housing situation like these days around Lake Nacimiento, like at Heritage Ranch?..
Not sure.There's also Oak Shores on the other side of the lake. From my exp., either people love it out there or hate it. Some don't like the people out there and some don't like driving 25 min. to grocery shop. RE in Hertage and Oak Shores has always been cheaper than most other areas of SLO County
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I'm not arguing, sister But why would anyone drive an extra 30+ miles to shop in Gilroy when Salinas\ Monterey are much closer & have more stores?
If I have to explain to you why someone would drive farther past Salinas and shop in Gilroy instead..well, .....ah, forget it, it's not worth the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I live in King City in Pine Canyon, a residential area surrounded by hills about five miles out of town. If people are trying to escape hispanics they might as well move to Idaho or something because they're everywhere..
Is Pine Canyon similiar looking to the Priest Valley area (HWY 198)? It's beautiful out there. No hispanics...let's be real, illegal aliens...in Idaho? There's a ton. Twin Falls, Majic Valley area, a lot of immigrant labor. Try Montana or North Dakota is you want to escape it. The "101 corridor", I mean yes, there probably are those racial undertones of why people don't want to live there, I don't see that as racist. In all honesty, the hispanics in that area probably would rather white people didn't live there. I'm just speaking from experience. Drive down main street Greenfield, you'll literally think you're in Mexico. It probably makes people feel uncomfortable, that's nature. Like the people who live in Pine Canyon, the professionals. Aren't they living there for the same reason why someone would rather live in Paso Robles than King City, or Gonzales, or Soledad or Greenfield? know what I mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County