U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 PM

12 posts, read 56,763 times

Advertisements

I applied to CSU Monterey Bay for their Spring 2009 semester back in September, and they received my complete high school transcripts and SAT scores in October. I still haven't heard from them. Is that a bad sign? I know that because of the influx of students, they aren't as lenient with accepting students as they were before, especially because of the CSU budget cuts, so I'm a bit worried.

I have a 2.90 cumulative grade point average, a 1460 (570 on Critical Reading, 520 on the Writing portion, and 370 on the math section) on the SAT, I took an AP English class in 11th grade and passed with a C, and half an AP Art class my senior year which I passed with a C half semester and had a 3.43 for my senior year. Also, I did grew up overseas and attended a DODDS school my entire schooling "career" but I'm not sure if that counts as something that would make me stand out. My alma mater is in Seoul, South Korea. Also, I don't have state residency because I grew up overseas due to my father being in the Air Force, so I never lived in the United States. I am, however, and American citizen. But state residency is important, so I'd also like to know if not having one will count against me.

I really, truly appreciate your answers, and I look froward to reading them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 01:47 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,043,109 times
Not sure. That school used to be pretty easy to get into. Not sure about now. The residency question? I don't know. Tuition is going to cost you through the nose here if you're not a resident

Old 11-19-2008, 04:07 AM

CA Central Coast - Thanks for your answers, I really appreciate it. Yeah, I've been doing some research, and I know that it used to be extremely easy to get into. But because of budget costs and other factors, there's been some level of variance when it comes to whether or not they're now an easy school to get into or not. Unfortunately, my test scores aren't as high as I had liked, but they're decent, and my GPA is about average. So I'm a bit nervous, it's really important that I get into that school. Again, thank you so much for your help, it is much appreciated.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
They just got a little worse:

CSU may cut future enrollment by 10,000 - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 AM

Charles - Thanks for the link. It wasn't what I had hoped, but it has given me more perspective. I'm hoping that CSUMB will still continue to accept many students to increase their revenue amidst the budget cuts, but right now, I'm preparing for the worst. Thanks again!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,043,109 times
why is that school your only option?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 PM

CA Central Coast - Well, it's not my only option, it's just that I have family in Monterey and it's really important to me, and to my family that I get into CSUMB. Of course, if I don't get in I'll have to find another school to go to, but I really have my heart set on attending CSUMB. But the more research I do, the worse and worse it looks for me, I'm afraid.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:04 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,008,856 times
Sort of related, saw this in the LA Times this morning:

UC might limit freshman enrollment - Los Angeles Times

Old 11-20-2008, 06:06 AM

Charles - Hey, thanks for the link! Yeah, the budget cuts are really trickling down the system. I didn't realize it even affected UC that badly. I think that I might be put on CSUMB's waiting list if I'm qualified, but they have no room because their first priority is students from around their area. But yes, I've read articles similar to the one you posted. I can't believe how severe these budget cuts are!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 PM

8,255 posts, read 11,118,694 times
I would suggest you have at least one backup plan. Maybe a community college for the first year? Also, have you contacted the admissions office to check your status? They shouldn't leave you hanging like this when Spring term starts in two months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County