Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times

Advertisements

My father was stationed there year's ago.We lived in the country near Lockwood.
We also lived in a trailer park near the lake.
The base is one of the smallest military bases i have seen.
I went to San Antonio Union school,I imagine your kids will go there as well.
Most of the Kids parents are military/civ contractors or ranchers.
The school has some sports programs.There is also boy scouts/girl scouts.
There is nothing closeby LOL Lockwood has a School,Trailer Park and Post Office.
If you choose to live near the base theres alot of wildlife around.
I saw alot of Buzzards,Deer,Rattlesnakes,Tarantulas(when it rains)and..
Even a Bobcat or Mountain Lion once in a great while.
We used to go to Paso Robles,Atascadero?,San Luis Obisbo alot.

Last edited by averagejoe76; 07-16-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:36 PM

54 posts, read 267,748 times
Well, we've been here for a while now and I've gotten used to it. It's very safe on base, where we live and our house is nice, clean and big=) My husband has an hour and a half for lunch, so I like living on base bcs he comes home for lunch! We drive to Paso Robles once a week and also to Monterey at least 3 times a month. The hardest thing so far is the heat (we usually stay inside when it's over 90) and the fact that my kids' doctors are an hour away. Not bad for well visits, but a pain if they are a little sick.
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:22 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah,

I would say that crime is higher there because King City is kind of a poor area. It is mainly a farm laborer town. The schools rate very low and their are gang issues.

The up side is that if you head west down Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd you will reach one of the most beautiful stretches of CA coastline in Big Sur. I just took my son overnight camping there and it was great!

These are from N-F Rd:

And here is where we camped just past N-F Rd along HWY 1:

The key for you guys is to enjoy the really good stuff and avoid the bad. Maybe that means driving a little further for things like going out to eat with your family, etc...

Also some of the families from the base might shop in King City. It could be ok for shopping during the day. But I would not want to live there.

Derek

Bro, i drove those backroads a lot some lustrums ago......came out on hwy 1 close to Nepenthe restaurant , Big Sur.

I used to fish the Hunter Liggett Ponds, over to Indian camp, Gorge, Arroyo Seco. Take a right outside Millers Camp, then a left...you will go thru Carmel Valley to Carmel......shortcut...also past Los Padres Dam turnoff.

Caught & released mostly lots of fish at San Antonio & Naciemiento Lakes...

Beautiful Pics...

Old 10-20-2009, 07:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times
Historical Trivia, Fort Hunter Liggett is the old William Randolph Hearst Ranch, the officers club was the ranch foremans house, Spanish style.

My favorite mission is right there, San Antonio De Padua.

Geographic Trivia, the highest elevation gain on the West Coast of the US is just to the west of you, just to the north of the photos you saw. Cone Peak rises 6,000 feet right off the ocean. You can park at the summit of the Coast Nacimiento Road and have a great hike to the summit.

Visit Monterey, visit San Francisco, don't take the kids, make those romantic trips.

Oh, and start reading John Steinbecks books.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 AM

2 posts, read 10,647 times
Ft Hunter Liggett is a great place to live, as all the others have said. I too would not live in King City and wouldn't go there after dark. Did that once, never again.

I would not hesitate to take a job at Ft Hunter Liggett as a civilian, so long as it was not with the police department. The management of the police department is a joke at best. The Chief has his job simply due to the "good ol' boy" system, and he has simply outlasted anyone else there. The Deputy Chief has his job because he has wore out the knees in many pair of trousers and stuck knives in peoples backs as he was climbing over them lying all the way to where he is at. The extent of the Deputy Chiefs experience is being a bar tender and a lake security guard, but magically he is qualified to lead this police force. The turnover rate for employees at the police department is extremely high, mainly because management does not know how to treat their employees. They hire criminals, literally. They have dead beats, loafers, drunkards, poachers, civil rights violators, thieves and liars working there.

Their ex-director (DES) chose to take another position due to a "medical condition" during an IG investigation when the kitchen got too hot to handle. He married into a Lockwood family of money, not that he was not born with his own silver spoon in his mouth. Did I mention that when he was TDY that he was in a "car accident"? That was the cover story. The real story came out that he got mugged. Seems that he got the dog snot beat out of him, his face kicked in, and rental car stolen. How do you suppose that happened? Why does someone who is a victim of crime, need a cover story? Man away from his wife… in big city… lonely… pants down around his ankles… pimp comes out of the bushes... I'm just sayin.

Speaking of lonely and away from the wife, no worries about that, soon after the DES’s wife was hired & worked in the chain of command under him and so did the Chiefs wife. Both wives are still employees of the post, but they were conveniently assigned new duties and supervisors when complaints of nepotism came to the surface. Doesn’t change that nepotism happened. Two people have jobs in federal service that likely would not if they had to compete with all other applicants, especially so, given that neither are veterans.

If you are ever charged with a crime by the Ft Hunter Liggett Police Department, I would start looking at the character of the officers involved. Not many of them could sit on a witness stand and have their veracity withstand a skillful cross examination. No worries, most of the officers think that the extent of police work consist of making a traffic stop and writing a ticket. There are not too many of them that are smart enough to put together a case that would survive the legal systems scrutiny.

Avoid the Ft Hunter Liggett Police Department at all costs!

The contents of this post are based upon my personal observations as a member of the Ft Hunter Liggett community, and are strictly my opinion. This opinion post was not written on U.S. Government time, or on a U.S. Government computer.

Last edited by LiggettCounty; 03-13-2010 at 02:15 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 09:52 AM

22 posts, read 52,151 times
AAAGGGHHH! Your pictures are painful to look at! I used to live in San Luis Obispo and drove from Atascedero to Morro Bay often. I MISS IT! Very similar view! Thanks for sharing...

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,576 times
Help!! We might be moving to Fort Hunter Liggett?? Any suggestions or ideas of things to do there. What about sports for kids? Homeschool groups??

Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
It is a military base, if you live on base, I can't help you. If you plan to live off base, King City is not a good place. Paso Robles is.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM

20 posts, read 79,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLPM View Post
Help!! We might be moving to Fort Hunter Liggett?? Any suggestions or ideas of things to do there. What about sports for kids? Homeschool groups??
I can't help you with things related to kids but my husband took a job at Hunter Liggett over the summer and I've been out to visit for several extended visits. He's currently living in Paso Robles and we both like it quite a bit, enough that I'm planning to move out at the end of the school year. Are you planning to live on post? The waiting list is several months long, from what I hear, and it's really in the middle of nowhere. I think I'd go stir-crazy very quickly if I was spending most of my time there.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
I use to go fishin' in the ponds at the back of the Fort. They might still be there..

You can fish & camp at San Antonio & Naciemiento Lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County