Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 PM

8 posts, read 31,502 times

Advertisements

Hi All-
I may be moving from Alabama (!) to Monterey Co. for a job at SVSP. Since I have never even visited CA, this is a daunting proposition. The job is great, but I figure I am in for some culture shock (although I am a transplanted Yankee from Upstate NY-Rochester to be exact). I have been online, and have already experienced sticker shock with rents, COL, etc... but I expected that.
Can anyone offer any ideas on the least expensive surrounding towns or areas to live in, that are fairly close (i.e. less than 45 minutes away)? It will take me a while to get set up and back on my feet financially, but the CA job pays almost twice what I was making here in Alabama.
Any suggestions would be welcome, as the Internet will only get you so far without "insider" input.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 PM

7,372 posts, read 15,943,986 times
Well, I tried making a link to a google map, but no go. At any rate, the neighborhood where you find Portola Drive opposite Toro County Park is where I'd go.
This is probably the best area to live that's closest to your job in Soledad. For recreational activities, you have the whole Monterey peninsula just a stone throw away (given a decent arm, of course).

Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 AM

12 posts, read 60,715 times
I lived in Monterey from age 11 up and have recently relocated to New England after starting a family.

Salinas is large and is close to Soledad, but stay away from the east side... you won't survive the gangs. Do you have a family? Children? That makes a huge difference in what areas are okay v/s out of the question.

The drugs and gangs have spilled into Monterey and the surrounding areas... so beware. Are you working for the prison in Soledad? If not, are you aware there is a state prison located there?

Anything south of Soledad is poverty sticken, also has gangs, and has a high rate of drug use. I wouldn't live any further south than Salinas.

If you are looking for economical... check out Marina. It's a bit cheaper to live there because it's usually fogged in. However, a lot of residents don't seem to mind because it's a "bedroom community" meaning they work elsewhere and get pleanty of sunshine.

I agree with Toro park too.

Last edited by ThirtysomethingGal; 11-14-2009 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 11-16-2009, 03:36 PM

405 posts, read 1,340,191 times
Marina is nice... but expect some sticker shock there, too. Since you're looking, Sand City and Seaside are neighbors. Might as well check those. Also, just a bit further inland (towards Salinas) is a community called Coral de Tierra. Not a bunch of inventory but worth a peek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County