Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,495 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I am planning to migrate to Canada in the nxt 18 months or so, I would want to settle in Quebec, most probably in Montreal. The reason is since French is their first language i would like my two boys growing up being bilingual as in the world, being bilingual its an asset. Is like knowing how to play an instrument. Secondly having gone through the goverment of Quebec website I have noticed that they are in need of Biochemist like my self, and the possibility of landing a good job down the line looks good. Not that i will get what i want immediatly, something i am prepared of even starting as a dish washer as i waiting for the opportunity to get to grips with the culture and the language. My quetion now is, will i be nominated as a potential immigrant since currently i am not able to speak and read french though this is something am able to work on in the next four months. And guys, hows Quebec compared to other provinces in terms of migration, language aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
If your specific occupation is in need in Quebec you wont have too much trouble getting a job in one of the several English hospitals in the Montreal area or if one of the large pharmaceutical companies located around Montreal will hire you on they may your immigration by sponsoring you..
As for your kids learning French? they wont have much choice if they are attending public schools as all immigrant children are required to attend French school.
You may have better luck getting a job in Toronto and there are many schools there that are heavy on the French curriculum.
Have you looked into what legal hoops you'll have to jump through to have your particular skill recognized in Canada? and i believe different provinces have different requirements.
Good luck
PS some Pharmaceutical companies near Montreal

http://www.canadian-universities.net...al-Quebec.html

Last edited by jambo101; 08-10-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-12-2010, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,495 times
jambo101, thats a good piece of advice from you. Anyway so you say i have a better chance of landing a job faster in my proffession in Toronto than in Montreal?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
I'm basing that on your lack of French. In Montreal A lot of companies will require French or Bi lingual people or be somewhat partial to hiring French People over English people however it will depend on the company and the attitude of their personnel in their human resource dept. there is certainly no reason you cant do a biochemical job in English as all the text books will be solely in English and all the technological resources will be all English,send out some job applications to Montreal and Toronto companies and end up living where ever you get a job.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-12-2010 at 04:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal