Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:09 AM

9 posts, read 31,131 times

Advertisements

I'm an Irish girl (fluent French speaker) who is considering moving to Canada on the 12-month visa program. I would love to (try out!) living in Montréal, have lived in France and am very passionate about the French language.

I have a strong media / publishing and education background and I am wondering about jobs (anything to start me off) and the fact that I'd be going by myself (am mid-20's) - I know it depends on what effort you make in any city but is it generally a friendly city and is there scope for ambitious people or would that be more Toronto's thing?

Please be patient with me and as honest as possible - would welcome any responses!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 02:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Montreal is a friendly city and has one of the largest St Patrick day parades in N America, for some one fluent in French you just cant go wrong with Montreal ,plenty of online job sites such as
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca

Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal is a friendly city and has one of the largest St Patrick day parades in N America, for some one fluent in French you just cant go wrong with Montreal ,plenty of online job sites such as
Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.ca

Thanks so much for your response jambo101, appreciate it!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM

65 posts, read 157,217 times
I used to live in Ireland, spent a year in Dublin in 1987-88 on a three month student work visa. I loved the life in Dublin and had a crack in spite of the fact it was before boomtime hit the republic. I am saddened by what has happened recently and I hope the country will recover. As far as Montreal is concerned, there is ample opportunity to try your hand at work in publishing and communications. This could also be work in radio or TV or film. A foreigner with advanced language skills in french and a love for the culture will definitely be accepted with open arms. There are a lot of people of Irish descent as Jambo mentioned, an old and prominent community. It is worth trying your luck here and in spite of Torondo's economic dominance in Canada, I still think Montreal packs a bigger punch culturally. The twin-headed hydra that is Montreal, the French/English confrontation makes it somewhat schizophrenic, but the many cultural communities add a spark to the already edgy mix. Immigrants who dont pledge allegiance to french or english exclusively tend to do well. Bienvenue à Montréal!

Old 11-21-2010, 06:26 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickcat View Post
I'm an Irish girl (fluent French speaker) who is considering moving to Canada on the 12-month visa program. I would love to (try out!) living in Montréal, have lived in France and am very passionate about the French language.

I have a strong media / publishing and education background and I am wondering about jobs (anything to start me off) and the fact that I'd be going by myself (am mid-20's) - I know it depends on what effort you make in any city but is it generally a friendly city and is there scope for ambitious people or would that be more Toronto's thing?

Please be patient with me and as honest as possible - would welcome any responses!

Thanks
You speak French? You'll do alright in Montréal.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
I used to live in Ireland, spent a year in Dublin in 1987-88 on a three month student work visa. I loved the life in Dublin and had a crack in spite of the fact it was before boomtime hit the republic. I am saddened by what has happened recently and I hope the country will recover. As far as Montreal is concerned, there is ample opportunity to try your hand at work in publishing and communications. This could also be work in radio or TV or film. A foreigner with advanced language skills in french and a love for the culture will definitely be accepted with open arms. There are a lot of people of Irish descent as Jambo mentioned, an old and prominent community. It is worth trying your luck here and in spite of Torondo's economic dominance in Canada, I still think Montreal packs a bigger punch culturally. The twin-headed hydra that is Montreal, the French/English confrontation makes it somewhat schizophrenic, but the many cultural communities add a spark to the already edgy mix. Immigrants who dont pledge allegiance to french or english exclusively tend to do well. Bienvenue à Montréal!
Thank you so much for your post, Dublin life is still a lot of fun let me tell you! It will take Ireland a long time to recover I think but even if it was still booming, to be honest I would still be hoping to go to Canada. I have worked in many forms of media so that there are opportunities like that for immigrants in Montréal is great. It's difficult because I have never been before and I'm currently in Asia which is amazing experience but not for me long-term.

I posted a similar question to my original in the Toronto forum and someone got back to me telling me about the Provincial Nomination Certificate for Québec and it happens that I have enough points to apply. There are also two new direct routes - Toronto and Montréal - starting in Dublin airport in a few months, probably due to the mass immigration.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM

65 posts, read 157,217 times
Yes, well I will be happy if I see a few irish faces on the way. As you mention, the Quebec government's focus on french speaking immigrants is an open door for you. Do take advantage of it. Again I would rather you stayed in Montreal, but if you needed to get on somewhere else in Canada, your immigration acceptability in Quebec would benefit you down the road. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic View Post
Yes, well I will be happy if I see a few irish faces on the way. As you mention, the Quebec government's focus on french speaking immigrants is an open door for you. Do take advantage of it. Again I would rather you stayed in Montreal, but if you needed to get on somewhere else in Canada, your immigration acceptability in Quebec would benefit you down the road. Good Luck!

Montréal is what I would be aiming for, for sure! The government of Québec province seems to be putting in a lot of effort to attract French speaking migrants but I know people who tell me that there is no work or no great economy in Québec and why would I want to go there... it's frustrating!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickcat View Post
Montréal is what I would be aiming for, for sure! The government of Québec province seems to be putting in a lot of effort to attract French speaking migrants but I know people who tell me that there is no work or no great economy in Québec and why would I want to go there... it's frustrating!
What about migrants whose first language isn't French, but they can speak French?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
What about migrants whose first language isn't French, but they can speak French?
I looked up Quebec's immigrant page (because I've always wanted to live in Quebec), and it has a point system for fluent French speakers. It doesn't matter if you're a native speaker, if you speak French fluently you'll get points toward immigration to Quebec.

Immigration-Québec - Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal