U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:56 PM

2,386 posts, read 5,449,930 times

Advertisements

I was planning on making a visit to Toronto around this spring coming up (2011 obviously), however I think I have a change of heart and want to visit Montreal now. I've always heard good, even great things about Montreal. However, after hearing about how cold and reserved people from Toronto can be (both from visitors and natives alike (I know a guy personally why lived there), and it's like NYC Jr but probably with more polite people, I was kind of turned off. I been to Niagara(Canadian side) before, and met plenty of nice Canadian people but I never got to explore the city of Toronto.

Anyway, I'll stay on topic. I heard that Toronto just isn't much of a great place to visit and if I want a place that's has a different vibe, where the people are friendlier and more welcoming, where the nightlife is great and even quite possibly better than Toronto, and where the metro is more convenient, and even a city that's more inexpensive; Montreal is the place to go.

Personally, I'm finding more and more reasons to want to visit Montreal, from the more French/European influence, the underground city/mall, the nightlife, etc. If I make my trip to Canada I want to make it worth while by visiting somewhere different and unique from where I am coming from (NYC). The people here in NYC seem to be like Toronto residents but probably a little bit friendlier and fun, and I would be disappointed to go there if it's going to be a "dumb downed" version of NYC.

Also, I know this might be a SILLY question, but how is Montreal for a group of people like my friends and I who are from different walks of life. Like for example, I'm Hispanic/Moroccan, another one of my friends is Hispanic (Puerto Rican), another friend is Asian (Chinese) and one of my friends is Black and he is also homosexual (he is). Will we be able to fit in and be welcomed if we embrace the culture? How is the nightlife and dance clubs? And of course, are the people more friendly, welcoming and fun? And is the vibe worth checking out?

Sorry for so many questions but thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 02:26 AM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
As a long time resident of Montreal i think you'll enjoy your stay in Montreal as the nightlife is vibrant with the areas of Crescent street,St Denis st. and the old port area as well as St Catherine st. from Atwater to Berri.
Your friends cultural diversity will go unnoticed.
Underground city is vast and could probably call itself the largest mall in the world, be aware the shops all close at 5pm
Underground City, Montreal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also a mountain in the middle of the city with a very safe park on top ,great for strolling around and seeing the city from a higher perspective

More stuff to see and do = The Independent Traveler Travel Forums: Canada (http://www.independenttraveler.com/community/topten.cfm?ID=13 - broken link)

more =MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City

Oh yeah almost forgot about Toronto
I'll let some one else describe Toronto as the only things that come to mind are street cars and the CN Tower.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:57 AM

229 posts, read 621,474 times
Sigh, sorry but not visiting a city because you heard that people are rude and unfriendly is a little silly to me. If that was the case nobody would visit great cities like NYC, Paris, London and other cities that have this reputation. And you know what? You'll find rude and unfriendly people in Montreal because rude and unfriendly are everywhere. I can honestly say that the first time that anyone called me the N-word (to my face) was in Montreal and asking for directions was a nightmare, but am I not going to visit Montreal ever again? No, it's a great city and those people that I encounter are not going to make me stay away.

If you want to visit Montreal instead of Toronto because it's more your thing, than that's cool, you'll have a wonderful time. But you shouldn't write off an whole entire city because of hearsay.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:01 AM

2,386 posts, read 5,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post
Sigh, sorry but not visiting a city because you heard that people are rude and unfriendly is a little silly to me. If that was the case nobody would visit great cities like NYC, Paris, London and other cities that have this reputation. And you know what? You'll find rude and unfriendly people in Montreal because rude and unfriendly are everywhere. I can honestly say that the first time that anyone called me the N-word (to my face) was in Montreal and asking for directions was a nightmare, but am I not going to visit Montreal ever again? No, it's a great city and those people that I encounter are not going to make me stay away.

If you want to visit Montreal instead of Toronto because it's more your thing, than that's cool, you'll have a wonderful time. But you shouldn't write off an whole entire city because of hearsay.
You're correct and I definitely hear what you're saying. Like I said, I usually just go see for myself, however, I'm leaning more towards Montreal because it seems to offer something different rather than Toronto. I'm sure I would love my stay in Toronto because I was in the GTA area once (in Mississauga, never got to go into Toronto) and I found the people to be very pleasant but it wasn't anything completely different for me. Montreal just seems to offer a different flare than most east coast cities, and since I love clubs and dancing, I hear great things about it's night life which I would love to check out.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM

158 posts, read 506,251 times
Montreal has a joie de vivre that Toronto doesn't have, IMO. I've lived most of my life in Montreal and it definitely has flair. I'm too old to go to clubs now, I drink my weekend beer at home with the better half, but Montreal has always been a party town.

Montreal night life

You might want to consider visiting in July, as Montreal hosts festivals such as the Jazz Festival and Just For Laughs, etc. July's weather can be hot and humid, though.

Montreal is a melting pot and you and your friends will enjoy yourselves no matter what ethnic backgrounds you have or what your sexual preferences are.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 AM

158 posts, read 506,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaH View Post

I'm sorry that you were exposed to such ignorance by the person who insulted you during a visit to Montreal. Did you find asking for directions difficult because of the language issues? Most Montrealers are bilingual, though a few French speaking people refuse to speak English.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 AM

419 posts, read 709,121 times
From my personal experience, which likely may not apply to others or be possible to generalize, people in Toronto are stuck-up and rude. Still, I wouldn't not visit a city because the general populace isn't "nice"/ There's more to a city than the people.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 AM

705 posts, read 1,631,032 times
In short, you will be making the right decision to visit Montreal instead of Toronto. Don't waste money/time flying to Toronto, which is uninteresting for anyone who is well travelled.

Let's put this way, if you have visited New York City/Chicago, there is no point in seeing Toronto whatsoever. However, a trip to Canada without Montreal is incomplete no matter what.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:14 AM

705 posts, read 1,631,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
From my personal experience, which likely may not apply to others or be possible to generalize, people in Toronto are stuck-up and rude. Still, I wouldn't not visit a city because the general populace isn't "nice"/ There's more to a city than the people.
and what "more" Toronto has considering the OP is from NYC? I honestly can't think of any.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 9,729 times
I'm from Toronto and other than the crazy traffic (perhaps it's my unfamiliarity with the city when I visit that makes it seem so to me) and drivers in Montreal, it is a wonderful place.

Summer is the time to visit though otherwise it is generally too cold and snowy to enjoy the outdoors there.

It definitely has a european flavour and the "vieux" areas are very interesting and beautiful.

Toronto has its interesting parts, but it is huge and sadly has lost much of its historical appeal through the loss of some great heritage structures over the years.

There was a time they were going to tear down old city hall. pic attached.

Go to Montreal and while you are there, go to Quebec City too.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Montreal a friendlier city than Toronto? Is there a different feel?-old_city_hall_toronto_.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or