Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 08:18 AM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I decided to put this in the Montreal Forum, because of the different college system (CEGEP) we have.

I have a problem. I never got to be really social while I was in school. I had social problems like not knowing how to socialize well. I was bullied in high school and now that I'm finishing up my vocational trade school, I'm just learning now at the end how to socialize better, and I'm really starting to regret it. Imean all the stuff I missed out on because of trouble socializing.

I'm 19 now. I'm thinking of just working for the next few years and not going to school. Then when I'm around 22 or 23, I'm thinking of going to a traditional college, more for the social experience and not alot for the end results like getting a job in the field that I studied in. I feel like I missed out alot in school due to my lack of proper socializing. I wanna experience hanging out after school with potential friends, going to parties, having fun and all that.

What do you guys think of this? Where I am in Quebec, Canada, college is alot cheaper than most places. So it won't be such a huge sacrifice. There's a guy I met while I was in vocational trade school and he helped me out abit throughout the end, but I wanna experience more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 01:38 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
I'd start with some long range goals. What do you want to do with your life? If that goal requires a college education then go to school in that field. Don't aimless go to school with the hopes of making friends. If it were me I wouldn't plan to work for few years and then go back to school. It often doesn't work out, you don't go back, and if you do you are out of the age range and are the "old guy" or "old lady" in the class. Focus on what make you happy and you will attract friends and people with shared interests. I'd go to CEGEP ASAP and take a program that interests you and has career potential. College is nothing like high school - you can dump your old baggage and start new. Many people come out of their shells when free of high school cliques & mind games.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:18 PM

433 posts, read 1,369,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I'd start with some long range goals. What do you want to do with your life? If that goal requires a college education then go to school in that field. Don't aimless go to school with the hopes of making friends. If it were me I wouldn't plan to work for few years and then go back to school. It often doesn't work out, you don't go back, and if you do you are out of the age range and are the "old guy" or "old lady" in the class. Focus on what make you happy and you will attract friends and people with shared interests. I'd go to CEGEP ASAP and take a program that interests you and has career potential. College is nothing like high school - you can dump your old baggage and start new. Many people come out of their shells when free of high school cliques & mind games.
Why won't it work out? Is it because you lost the feel of school or something, and you can't stand school when you get back?

Also, I'm pretty sure there's people in the 22-23 age range that are in CEGEP. I've been in one for a year and there were a few people a little older that were starting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal