Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
When I make my trip to Montreal, I also want to see the ghetto areas. Every city I go to I try to make a trip to the more the more low-income areas. Just like to see them. Except for Juarez in Mexico, HUGE mistake.
So what did you think of Montreals ghetto areas?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
IMO one of the grittiest areas in Montreal was from the greyhound bus station, between Ontario and Maisonneuve all the way to Papineau....and then continuing down Ontario all the way to Hochelaga Maisonneuve. Those streets always seemed prettty drug infested. It might be better now, but before I remember that area being pretty slimey. I don't think it was a violent area, just alot of drugs and sex workers. A freind of mine used to live in a flat between Ontario and Sherbrooke, we saw some weird stuff around there. But I;m pretty sure that area has been cleaned up, its not like it was before.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 AM

247 posts, read 525,885 times
Last summer we were in the Latin Quarter (not a particularly gritty area) and saw a guy shooting up right on the sidewalk. I still love the city, though.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:34 PM

408 posts, read 607,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TightButLoose View Post
Just curious.
Hands down, no contest, it's Ville Saint-Pierre.

So haunting most Montrealers have never even driven through it once. Only TWO streets can get you in or out of this particularly vile neighborhood, which is sandwiched between a steep rocky cliff, a train yard and a highway. It is by and large the most (visually) disturbing, gritty, industry-scarred neighborhood of the city.

I haven't known it to be very violent - just really poor. Then again, at night the neighboring town of Montreal-West closes the path connecting the two areas haha,

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Yeah that little area is locked into that corner. I knew some people that lived around there. Its a bit grimey but its not that bad. Most of st jaques in Southern NDG all the way from Vendome metro station kind of looks like that. I would say the area around NDG (south of the train tracks) is worse.

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 03-03-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,000 times
For real there are many ghettos in montreal

uptown cote des neige/barckley and plamondon, the whole 160 hood
cartierville 64 and chamoland
Parc ex
st michel and villeray
montreal nord
part on ndg 51
hochelaga

Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 AM

193 posts, read 217,051 times
Mountain Sights Ave near Station Namur.
I don't know if it would be dangerous but there's a lot of wannabe thugs trying to look tough.
I was lured by the low rent, but I'm happier now in Mile End even if I pay 30% more rent.
So much more visually appealing. Better crowd. Close to nightlife.

Last edited by jamesse; 08-14-2017 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: the rent bit

Old 08-15-2017, 11:05 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Ghettos in Montreal exist by their traditional definition, but slums? hardly any, if anything there isn't any. Every time I show my American friends "the hood" in MTL (MTL Nord, St. Mich, Parc-ex, etc..), they laugh cause it can pass as a decent neighbourhood in U.S cities. The only "sketchy" areas that remain are Montreal East/parts of Hochelaga, where poor/uneducated people who leach off of welfare live. Besides those areas, the city is very clean and has improved heavily.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Ghettos in Montreal exist by their traditional definition, but slums? hardly any, if anything there isn't any. Every time I show my American friends "the hood" in MTL (MTL Nord, St. Mich, Parc-ex, etc..), they laugh cause it can pass as a decent neighbourhood in U.S cities. The only "sketchy" areas that remain are Montreal East/parts of Hochelaga, where poor/uneducated people who leach off of welfare live. Besides those areas, the city is very clean and has improved heavily.
Pretty much. I remember as a kid being intimidated every time we went through Rue Ontario, and not only the part that runs through Hochelaga. It used to be a haven for hookers and it had an awful smell. Now, I actually find it quite nice.

There really are no true "hoods" or "slums" in Montreal. Nowhere is it unsafe to talk, even at 3AM. Some idiots try to ACT like they live in the hood, but really, they end up looking foolish.

https://youtu.be/Ac1zk10KJVY

Old 08-15-2017, 12:49 PM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
What is the name of the housing project near Place De arts? Last visit to Montreal I remember playing pick up soccer at a field surrounded by a low income housing complex. Did not feel uncomfortable at all, but curious as to its name and if there are any major issues there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal