U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 42,973 times
Default How really cold is Montreal in winter? (esp. compared to Toronto?)

Hi,
I hear a lot about Montreal being really cold in the winter. I hear even "severely" cold. I have spent 4 winters in Toronto. I'm not originally from Canada and even Toronto's winter is tough for me. Especially this years winter was really severe for me. But they don't usually say it is "severely" cold in Toronto.

When I checked the general weather in Montreal, it seemed the average temperature was much lower than Toronto. So as knowledge or statistics I know how cold it is in Montreal (compared to Toronto as well).

My girlfriend and I love Montreal and go there often, and even we are considering moving there. Besides the french factor, our other concern is the cold in winter. We have visited Montreal many times but it just happened to be never in winter and we have never experienced "true winter" there.

We went to Montreal last weekend for a couple of days and we actually asked many people how cold it was in the winter. We mentioned if we were to move it was one of our main concerns.

To our surprise, not so many people seemed to care how cold it was. They said something like, "yeah, can be cold but soon you'll get used to it." "Just dress properly and you'll be fine!" "Don't worry the underground city is there for you!" and someone even said "I was in Toronto last winter and I felt colder than here, because of the Wind!"

So, we got kind of shocked (in a good way). Is it really not that cold in the winter to be concerned about? If I can survive Toronto's winter, Montreal's winter is not that big deal? I had an impression that Montreal's winter was so much worse than Toronto's. But is it not that so if you really live there?

Did I just happen to ask people who are optimistic? Maybe it is summer so they forgot about the winter?

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 01:31 PM

19,449 posts, read 14,928,650 times
If you can handle winters in Toronto you wont have any problems with Winters in Montreal,yeah maybe a little colder but nothing a bit of extra clothing wont fix,
now shoveling snow off the streets? ah never mind its an old joke..

Old 06-18-2011, 01:46 PM

3,518 posts, read 3,126,421 times
Yeah, alot gets made of how Toronto is warmer than Montreal, but honestly, its a small difference, Montreal is fine. If you survived Toronto you'll get past the small drop in temperature in the winter, it's not too much worse.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:18 PM

86 posts, read 189,187 times
Get used to a LOT more snow, though.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 PM

4,784 posts, read 4,739,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brighthope View Post
Hi,
I hear a lot about Montreal being really cold in the winter. I hear even "severely" cold. I have spent 4 winters in Toronto. I'm not originally from Canada and even Toronto's winter is tough for me. Especially this years winter was really severe for me. But they don't usually say it is "severely" cold in Toronto.

When I checked the general weather in Montreal, it seemed the average temperature was much lower than Toronto. So as knowledge or statistics I know how cold it is in Montreal (compared to Toronto as well).

My girlfriend and I love Montreal and go there often, and even we are considering moving there. Besides the french factor, our other concern is the cold in winter. We have visited Montreal many times but it just happened to be never in winter and we have never experienced "true winter" there.

We went to Montreal last weekend for a couple of days and we actually asked many people how cold it was in the winter. We mentioned if we were to move it was one of our main concerns.

To our surprise, not so many people seemed to care how cold it was. They said something like, "yeah, can be cold but soon you'll get used to it." "Just dress properly and you'll be fine!" "Don't worry the underground city is there for you!" and someone even said "I was in Toronto last winter and I felt colder than here, because of the Wind!"

So, we got kind of shocked (in a good way). Is it really not that cold in the winter to be concerned about? If I can survive Toronto's winter, Montreal's winter is not that big deal? I had an impression that Montreal's winter was so much worse than Toronto's. But is it not that so if you really live there?

Did I just happen to ask people who are optimistic? Maybe it is summer so they forgot about the winter?

Any input would be appreciated!
I would say Montreal winters on average are noticeably colder than Toronto winters. In January for one example, Toronto on average has highs 9 degrees warmer than Montreal and lows 14 degrees warmer. That seems to be a pretty big difference and definitely noticeable.

Also Montreal winters seem to last a little bit longer than Toronto and about one month longer than Toronto winters. Toronto winters on average seem to last 6 months while for Montreal it is 7 months.

Also, Montreal gets more snow than Toronto on average. Montreal's average snowfall for a winter season is 85 inches and for Toronto it is 52 inches so on average Montreal gets almost 3 feet more snow than Toronto every winter season.

Montreal seems to be at its best in summer, late spring, and early fall.
I just don't see how it would be nearly as great in winter.

However, it is still a great place so I think that Montreal has enough redeeming qualities for someone to get through the very cold, snowy, and long winters. I think this would be the case for you and your girlfriend based on your post.

However, there are still some people that would not find there to be enough redeeming qualities, especially if they actively dislike cold weather and cold weather for long periods of time. I still met some people in Montreal that complained about the winters like that. But it seems like most people learn to deal with the winters and find enough reasons to enjoy living there long term, and plenty of them still can enjoy cold and snow sometimes.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:47 PM

65 posts, read 30,812 times
People in Montreal talk about the weather all the time. They are so thrown by the extremes that there is no way to satisfy a desire to experience perfect weather. The summer, fall and spring are indeed pleasant as Thepastpresentandfuture says, but the winter is something most people dread because of the prolonged cold and slush. The last winter snows are a bummer. But the culture of snow removal in the 20th century here and the unique spin on all things wintry makes it palatable. For one thing people really enjoy summer and are very outgoing because of the long winter. The underground city also helps the downtown workers and residents cope with the city's harsher aspects. It is a buzzing place no matter what. Please, by all means bring your lovely foreign self here and add to the heady mix.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:05 PM

19,449 posts, read 14,928,650 times
I gauge the severity of Montreal winters by how many times i have to dig out my car after a heavy snow fall, 2010/2011 it happened twice, no big deal.
As for cold? the colder it gets the more clothes i wear when i go out, if it gets down to the -30`s for too long i just wear what i`d wear when snowmobiling, there is also a wide range of battery powered heated clothing if it gets real cold

Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 PM

83 posts, read 130,488 times
Montreal has more snow and it's a bit colder, but the difference isn't night and day. Snow usually begins around Thanksgiving and goes until around mid-March. That's roughly average, but we've had snow(and even storms) before in October and April.

As someone else pointed out, winters and summers bring both extremes. Our winters are very cold and snowy, and summers are very humid.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 42,973 times
Thanks so much everyone for your replies and some kind comments!
I think now I have a bit better idea about it.

It sounds still very cold, but I hope it is something I could survive through if I lived there!

Old 06-20-2011, 01:16 PM

2 posts, read 18,361 times
Montreal has SLIGHTLY colder temperatures than Toronto, and slightly more snow - BUT Montreal receives also slightly more winter sunshine than Toronto does!

If you survive Toronto winters, Montreal's are not that much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal