Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,081,707 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

Wife and I are going to take a long weekend this fall and drive up to Montreal from Connecticut. My mom lived there for a few years in the late 50's after moving here from Italy, and has been back several times and says it's great. I'm looking for ideas, I know to visit St. Leonard (correct??) for some good Italian food, I speak Italian so that's not an issue, any other ideas what we can do while there, probably be there 3 nights. Looking for some good french food, and touristy things to do.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:55 PM

133 posts, read 330,267 times
If you want some good, classic French food, I highly recommend Bonaparte in Old Montreal. You will love it.
The Restaurant: Bonaparte

In Old Montreal, you can walk along the Old Port. There is also an IMAX theater there as well.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:44 PM

saw Anthony Bourdain was there, anyone ever eat at "Au Pied de Cochon"? Is that a tourist trap? We are both "foodies" and want the good stuff when we go out to eat. don't mind spending the $$$ if it's good stuff. I am a foie gras connisseur. Also dying to try Poutine, looks out of control good.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,492,588 times
Oh yeah, it's a GREAT restaurant but you want to make reservations way in advance, it books up. Also go to hole-in-the-wall Schwartz's Hebrew Delicatessen nearby, it's the original home of Montreal Smoke Meat, one of the city's iconic foods, and serves it's great deli up with a flare! Try St. Viateur for Montreal bagels, another of the city's culinary specialties. La Banquise is a decent place to just go to town on some poutine if you'd like, although it serves it in larger than usual quantities which is a bit odd.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 PM

yup my mom told me about Schwartz's, and also Moishe's steakhouse she said is great.

Oh brother, looks like I better go on a stricter diet now, I can see I'm going to gain weight up there, steak, corned beef, foie gras, poutine, duck, bagels, etc etc etc

Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,492,588 times
It get colds here, we need the calories to stay warm! Also try the touristy stuff. Old Montreal, Marie Reine du Monde Cathedral (not Notre Dame), look at the city from the top of the mountain, see the museum of fine arts, go to the Botanical gardens, the biodome or one of the other attractions by the olympic stadium. I`m not sure of your age, but would clubbing, concerts or the amusement park be up your alley?

Old 06-28-2011, 04:42 AM

We are in our 40s, no clubbing for us, but amusement parks or concerts no problem

Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,122,154 times
If you do the trip last week of September or first week of October the fall foliage colors will be at their best, try coming up some of the back roads rather than the interstate like Vermonts rt100, if interstate is a must i'd recommend I-93 then I-91 as its much more scenic than I-89 after you cross the border take autoroute 10 into Montreal(2 hours),if you're lucky they might have wrapped up most of the construction by then

Fois Gras? i'll agree it doesnt come any better than at "Au Pied de Cochon"
I remember the Bourdain show and Martin Picards humor when asked by the waitress how much should i feed Mr Bourdaine?Picards reply was 'feed him till he dies'
My usual 2 links to people coming to Montreal

The Independent Traveler Travel Forums: Canada (http://www.independenttraveler.com/community/topten.cfm?ID=13 - broken link)

MONTREAL - Living in a North American Gem of a City

Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 AM

thanks for the heads up on the route of travel, I live about 5 miles from I-91 in CT so we may just take that all the way up into Canada then go West. Yes that's about the timeframe. Not sure exactly on dates though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal