Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times

Advertisements

We are going to Canada in a few weeks and are going to spend 2 days/ 3 nights in the Montreal area.
We are invited to stay in Chateauguay, but I don't know how far it is from downtown Montreal - info on the internet is varied and contradictory!
So, what is the average commute from downtown Montreal to downtown Chateauguay?
We are not interested in nightlife, so we would just go to Montreal during the day to visit places.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
If you have a free place to stay in Châteauguay I say go for it. Traffic is bad everywhere in and around Montreal this summer because of road work and closures. If it is really bad in the morning you can always wait until 9 or 10 so that the worst of the traffic is over before heading into the city. Same thing coming back out of town.

Just avoid the main rush hours in the peak directions and you should be fine.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:03 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
With normal conditions it would be a 20 minute drive to downtown but due to the closure of half of the main bridge leading into the city traffic can be a problem. however once over the bridge i'd drive to the Agrignon subway station,park the car and take the subway into town as Montreal is having a bit of a construction festival these days and its tough for the unfamiliar to know about all the detours.Add to all that a major east west route through downtown is now closed due to a major piece of tunnel collapsed

.Mercier Bridge

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ie-closed.html

Your hosts will probably give you the lowdown on the bridge but basically its only 2 lanes into town from 5am till 9;30am then its one lane each way till 3pm where it turns into 2 lanes outbound till around 7pm then it reverts back to one lane each way till the following morning..

Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
We are going to Canada in a few weeks and are going to spend 2 days/ 3 nights in the Montreal area.
We are invited to stay in Chateauguay, but I don't know how far it is from downtown Montreal - info on the internet is varied and contradictory!
So, what is the average commute from downtown Montreal to downtown Chateauguay?
We are not interested in nightlife, so we would just go to Montreal during the day to visit places.
Thanks!
It seems that Chateauguay is only a 15-minute drive from downtown Montreal.
http://oi51.tinypic.com/684e15.jpg

How long will the journey take, if one is to commute
- by the free shuttle buses that run between Châteauguay’s bus terminal and the Ste. Catherine train station;
- and then ride the Agence métropolitaine de transport’s Candiac line to Montreal, that is not free.

You're so lucky. I've never been to Chateauguay. Now that you've piqued my interest, I've to find out more about this place.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post

You're so lucky. I've never been to Chateauguay. Now that you've piqued my interest, I've to find out more about this place.
Not much in Chateauguay as its just a southern suburb of Montreal with lots of bungalows. As for the train its probably an easier commute in rush hour but it will take as much time to get to the station as it would to get over the bridge and train service is sparse,,

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Not much in Chateauguay as its just a southern suburb of Montreal with lots of bungalows. As for the train its probably an easier commute in rush hour but it will take as much time to get to the station as it would to get over the bridge and train service is sparse,,
Thanks, jambo101.

In other words, it is better for me to cross the bridge by foot to the vicinity of LaSalle, and then hop on a public bus or train to downtown Montreal, right?
If so, that's superb. I love bridges, especially those with footpath.

p.s.: please ignore my post above.
just read your message on the shutdown of Pont Mercier.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:21 PM

You wont be crossing the bridge on foot its just not that kind of bridge.
Heres a pic looking from the Montreal side towards Chateauguay, the entire right span is closed to traffic due to rust problems, which if you look close are startlingly obvious..
Also its probably several miles from Chateauguay to the start of the bridge and its all high speed highway,no place for pedestrians..

You can take one of several buses that will take you from Chateauguay right to the Agrignon subway station, not sure what the schedules are but there are frequent bus stops along the main drag of Chateauguay and the buses run at least once an hour and maybe more frequently during rush hour..

A bit of local history and other data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%A2teauguay

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: copyrighted image removed

Old 08-02-2011, 08:43 AM

Thank you!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Did you make the trip yet? if so how did it go?

Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Did you make the trip yet? if so how did it go?
Thanks for asking!
But actually we are going next week! I'll tell you when we are back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal